Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bealls, Hexham

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
Have finally given up the fight against the world, a closing down sale is in progress and the missing concessions are leaving wide open spaces.

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
I don't know whether to blame the difficult trading conditions (Hexham is not actually a poor market town), competition from te5ko and the internet, or what ...

neonwilderness

What would Badgers do?
Is that what used to be Robbs? It's always been pretty quiet whenever I've been in.

Didn't they used to have a second store where Tesco is now?

Sprocket.

There’s comfort in melancholy.....
I think the age of the department stores is over. It’s the internet that is a major cause. Usually the companies with concessions in department stores selling their wares cheaper online.

Sprocket.

There’s comfort in melancholy.....
Do they own the buildings, I know rates and rent costs are crippling no end of high street outlets.

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
Is that what used to be Robbs? It's always been pretty quiet whenever I've been in.

Didn't they used to have a second store where Tesco is now?
Yes, I'm talking about Robbs ...
They (Robbs) also owned Tynedale Park.

The saga about the arrival of te5ko into Hexham could be termed Machiavellian ie somewhat convoluted.

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
Do they own the buildings, I know rates and rent costs are crippling no end of high street outlets.
I think they do own them, which is why Bealls have had a punt at running the place. It is something of a rabbit warren inside, being made up from (I think) three buildings and has been "extended / altered" somewhat.

StoneRoad

heckling from the back!
The management buyout back in May (?) 2019 appears to have failed - gone into administration - and the closing down sale is back on, with some massive reductions.
Was there on Tuesday last, and the staff seemed dazed and depressed. May go back later this week to snatch a bargain or three