BBC to close Maida Vale studios

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by editor, Jun 7, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

I went to a Peel Session there - think it was Studio 4 - the one with the balcony. It was quite a buzz being there.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Imagine the buzz for me getting to play there! I was so bloody nervous!

4. twentythreedom

twentythreedom BREAD FUCKING SAUCE

5. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

From what I understand, it's knackered - everything needs updating, the equipment in particular is EOL and can't be maintained well enough to remain in proper service.

6. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

I recorded for a Peel Session there. It was quite, er, over-aweing.

7. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

we recorded there too, stupidly we just bashed through 4 songs in about 10 minutes live and then the engineers got to go to the pub.

8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Yeh they should chuck out all those rubbish old consoles and stuff, who wants to use old gear.

9. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

It’s not so much that nobody wants them, more that finding parts to keep them going is becoming harder/impossible/not financially viable.

SpookyFrank and mauvais like this.
  10. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Yes I'm sure it isn't very efficient for a massive studio like that. When they auction of the equipment there will be a lot of very nice stuff though, like when the Bush House studio shut.

11. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Maybe, but that's not going to be anything to do with shutting the place. No-one ever had their house bulldozed because the freezer was dripping.

12. mauvais

It's part of it, in that the BBC either commits to very large expenditure on renewing the systems there, or says now is the time to move. More like whether or not you get a new kitchen when your house is falling down.

Aside from that, it is falling down and it's also in the middle of nowhere in BBC facility terms, and in a residential area.

13. Raheem

Raheem Well-Known Member

Either of those options involves committing to the cost of upgrading the equipment. So, yeah, it could be the location or the crumbling building or the chance to realise the value of the land, but not the cost of equipment.

14. mauvais

Sure, but the point is that studio installs are unlikely to be economically portable, so by revamping MV, you commit to either remaining there for the service life of the kit - about twenty years IIRC - or wasting some of that money.

The same economics as deciding what to do with an old car that needs work. You can't avoid spending money but you can choose how to do it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018