1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battersea Power Station

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Donna Ferentes, Jul 5, 2005.

1. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

I think you mean the Patmore and/or Savona Estate - AFAIK they are too separate from the site (other side of BP Road) to be affected architecturally (?) but socially, I would guess there will probably be an increase in value of flats bought there under the Right to Buy.

No, I don't, but there are other parts of London which have been regenerated with a far more inclusive vision - either with publicly accessible and educational or entertainment facilities, like the Tate Modern (formerly another power station just in case anyone didn't know!) or with a mixture of these & social housing (the Greenwich site which includes the Dome :oops: ) or with mainly social housing (Coin Street in Waterloo). These are very loose examples, but show a large regeneration project doesn't have to be as nauseatingly upmarket & exclusive :rolleyes: :mad: as this one looks set to be.

2. lang rabbie

lang rabbie Je ne regrette les gazebos

3. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Funny you should say that. In the library we have videos of lectures that we lend out to those undergraduates who were too lazy to get up and watch them first time round. They all have codes (e.g. OG9 would be one in the Obstetrics and Gynaecology series) and when a student starts asking for one by the name of the lecturer or the title of the lecture, I ask them to tell me the code. Which always reminds me of the waiter: "you have to say the number".

4. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

A cynic writes.

There were scurrilous (or not, depending on your bent) rumours flying round back in the eighties that the site was being left to rot, the rumours only being reinforced by the lack of any work being done on the site by each new owner.

It would make financial sense as well, of course. let the power station fall down (parts of it are only held up with scaffolding now anyway) and you've got the whole 21 or so acres (IIRC) to play with, and you can honestly tell EH or whoever it is who deals with destruction of listed buildings "sorry guv, natural wear and tear/act of g-d, innit?"
    The amount of time that has passed also enables an unscrupulous developer to "lose" all those surveys telling him about the scale of contamination of the site rendering parts of it unfit for housing...

5. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

It amazes me how relatively short an operational life-span it had.

It's such a London icon, but the whole "four chimneys" weren't completed til the 50s and it was shut by 1983.

It would make a brilliant venue for a nightclub. They could call it, errrmmm, let me see, "The Power Station", or something.

Giles..

6. corporate whore

corporate whore oh, thought you were dead

Here's some guff from the Guardian about wot it's all gonna look like.

Bad: 2,700 car park spaces :mad:
    Good: 25m refurb for Battersea Park station, new pedestrian footbridge across the Thames :)
    Silly: One table restaurants at the top of each chimney.. :rolleyes:

7. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Curiously enough they are in receipt of an email from my good self about said article.

8. corporate whore

corporate whore oh, thought you were dead

Did you send an email because the article's a fawning critically-devoid puff-piece?

Tell me it's so..

9. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Dear Guardian

Jonathan Glancey may hail as visionary the plans for Battersea Power Station, but some Londoners may feel a site of thirty acres might have been used for more socially valuable purposes than offices, hotels and an exhibition venue. London is short of none of these, but is short of social and affordable housing, of which the Battersea site could have provided a good deal. This might not be as creative as Mr Glancey might like, nor "pull this down-at-heel part of Battersea into the well-heeled economy of the north bank", but it might have had the rather decent effect of providing housing for people who need it. But what is that, compared to "a sensual, subtle office complex", or a walkway with a bar?

Yours

10. Skim

Skim has retired

Just what traffic-choked (and tube station-less) Battersea needs – a huge car park :mad:

I've no idea how the development could accommodate that many cars, as there's too much traffic in the area already. (It's improved since the congestion charge, though, or certainly has on Battersea Park road around rush hour.)

11. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

first:
    then:
    I wonder on how many people's ignore lists I must be in! :eek: :D

12. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Rather reminsicent of the famous lyrics to Live And Let Die...

13. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

Um, how else are people going to get there then...?

14. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Battersea Park railway station. (Mind you, if they do it'll be goodbye to my seat on the train to work.)

15. lang rabbie

Under previous plans, wasn't there meant to be some dedicated shuttle between Victoria, Battersea Pk and Clapham Junction? Suspect that can't happen now as there isn't enough platform space at Victoria for current services. :(

16. Major Tom

Major Tom Mentalist Wierdo RIP

Just heard that the chimneys are going to be pulled down as part of the redevelopment. :eek:

They have corroded due to atmospheric salt and salty Thames water that was used to mix the concrete, apparently. And then facsimiles will be built - presumably using at least some of the original material.

17. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Hurrah!

If Glancey had looked beyond the hype and overblown architecture, he would find a deeply unattractive project that has no affordable housing anywhere on the 38-acre site, no decent jobs for local people and no credible public transport strategy, relying instead on 3,000 private car parking spaces and an Arup-designed pedestrian bridge.

18. rusalki

rusalki damp boots tramp

Immagination

I know it is a old topic, but... Battersea Power Station is one of my special places.

Not only for Pink Floyd and the flying pigs - I love the fact that it is a decaying place, and somehow (even if it is an irrational fantasy) I'd like it to stay as it is - not changed in anything else, solitary and without dull people crawling inside... Just a place for immagination. Last year I was living in Deeley Road (off Wandsworth Road) and every evening coming back I could see the chimneys emerging from the sky. Please don't think I'm silly, but I felt a sort of estrangement, soft despair and wonder inside. I was the only existing human being.

19. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

20. rusalki

rusalki damp boots tramp

Yes! I'm new in the forum, so I do not really know what happened before...
    Last year I used to walk down Grosvenor Road untill the Chelsea Bridge -

When I came back in September it was one of the first place to which I went saying Hello... Can you say hello to places, can't you?

:rolleyes:

21. Donna Ferentes

Donna Ferentes jubliado

Well, in Catcher In The Rye Holden always wanted to give places a proper "goodbye"...

22. rusalki

rusalki damp boots tramp

I've never read Salinger... but I agree. Everytime I go back to Italy I say Hello to the mountains (Appennini).

Here in London - I guess the first and last place I greet is the British Library.

I like saying Hello! to the Lion and the Unicorn at the gate of Hyde Park...
    (especially the unicorn)

23. java1200

java1200 New Member

24. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Sorry to ressurrect an auld thread but...

I was wondering what was meant to be happening as I often go past it and nothing seems to be going on.

John Broome: a man knighted for creating a pile of rubble. :mad:

25. Gixxer1000

Gixxer1000 cant wheelie a shaftie :(

Quite a bit of steel temporary works retaining the interior hactually (was the largest facade retantion in Europe), but showing its age now.

I'd hate to hazard a guess at the tonnage of asbestos strip(ped):eek:

26. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

I think just about every property developer in the non-HA sector slaps the 'luxury' tag on everything they build. It's been going on for the last 20 years to my knowledge.

When I was studying architecture in the late 1980s, my Building Economics lecturer had a notion that the word 'luxury' when applied to dwellings would become so abused that it would actually be an insult within half a century :)

27. cybertect

cybertect It's grim up north (London)

Way too late.

While it was only formally opened in 1998, planning and design of the British Library started in the 1974 with a funding crisis under Thatcher in 1988 helping things out.

I must admit to rather liking it.

28. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

29. lang rabbie

which I suspect has little to do with copyright/intellectual property in the Chinese art works and relates a lot more to the property owners' concern that every second visitor will be a tweed clad conservationist fogey (not unlike myself;) ) wanting photographic evidence of the scandalous decline of the building and the failure of Wandsworth Council to take enforcement action against Parkview and the subsequent developers.

30. oryx

oryx Sitting on the bock of the day

Definitely want to go to this! Thanks for the link. If I do go I'll report back.