1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic DIY questions?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by UnderAnOpenSky, Nov 4, 2016.

1. campanula

campanula plant a seed

Don't fret UnderanOpenSky - my kids and I laid a 400square foot base for the field kitchen in the wood using 2 tons of sand and 120 old slabs off gumtree. We did it in a weekend. Remove the grass, stomp the earth, lay sand and level with a long straight edge, more stomping (ideally a whackerplate would have been nice but we just stood on scaff boards.We only had a 2inch sand layer but the earth was nicely compacted...and even the shed will only need a subbase of hardcore and 3inches of sharp sand before popping slabs on top. I hardly ever lay slabs on anything but sand and maybe point in the joints with some brush-in dry sealant.

Oh, forgot to mention the most important buit which was setting the timber edging - I used 4x1 tanalised timber - this also acts as the level for the straight edge.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Thanks folks ! I've ordered a good amount of sub base and will probably hire a compactor. Then going to lay a 10:1 sand/cement bed and put the flags on.

GFs Dad is coming to give advice help, I honestly think it's the heavy lifting that has got me quite nervous (which I will do most of) . As I said the parking area isn't right in front of my house and whilst in the day it's normally clearish a few cars in the wrong place could mean serious work. I've also gone of the patio expert websites suggestions for sub base, except 3 bulk bags is now seeming like a lot, along with 90 (smallish) flags. Sure it will all become fine when everythings moved and we are laying the dam thing!

3. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Thank you, that worked a treat.

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. Biddlybee

Can I jump on your thread and ask another not quite DIY question? :hmm:

My boiler pressure is too high. But of investigating says bleeding the radiators will probably sort this out. My two questions... do I do this when the heating is off? Do I have to do them in a particular order? We have 5 radiators that come on when the heating does.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Boiler pressure is higher when the system is hot - there is a pressure release valve and it will spurt water out of a pipe near the flue if it gets to very high.
    If your worried about it you can let pressure out at a radiator bleed point. You can check all the radiators for air in any order but you only need to let the pressure out of one.
    Do it off to avoid water being too hot.

existentialist and Biddlybee like this.
  6. ignatious

ignatious Well-Known Member

Heating off and rads cool.

Work from the bottom upwards as air heads to the top of the system so do the downstairs first.

If on the same level work towards boiler, so the last one you bleed is the one closest to the boiler.

Biddlybee and Pickman's model like this.
  7. Biddlybee

Cheers.

Should I bleed the one that's always off too? (it's off because a bed is against it)

yep, I understand that. My needle on the gauge goes well into the red when the heating goes on though, so I am a little bit worried.

8. ricbake

ricbake working out how

You need to turn it on if you bleed it - it's better for the whole system if there isn't any air.

Biddlybee likes this.
  9. ignatious

ignatious Well-Known Member

Yup, turn it on, bleed it, then turn it off again.

Biddlybee likes this.
  10. Biddlybee

Oops I did it while it was off :oops:

I've put the heating on, so will turn that one on and fill it up, then bleed again.

I couldn't do one half of each of the double radiators, or the kitchen one (way too stiff to turn). But hopefully the other three and two halves will sort it.

Edit: thank you.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  11. Biddlybee

System on and the needle is back in the green :thumbs: but then when I turn the 'permanently off' radiator on it tips up and teeters on the edge of red... still, better than it was :thumbs:

12. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Cool! I always keep a small tin of either, as it's bloody handy stuff if you can bear the smell!

13. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

When I bleed our rads, I always go for two of the upstairs ones first. They are physically the highest part of the system, and one often has a cold corner.

14. UnderAnOpenSky

Patio is coming along slowly. Getting them level was a total pain in the arse and not quite sure I got the level of precision that I was aiming for, but hey that's a bit down. Not helped by the temperatures at this time of year.

I've got a 230mm angle grinder arriving tomorrow. It was worryingly cheap, but gives more flexibility then hiring one for a few days and was similar price. I've never used an angle grinder before, but it looks fun. What could possibly go wrong. :hmm:

15. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

You should try and do them all really because apart from anything else you may be wasting energy.

16. UnderAnOpenSky

My angle grinder has arrived. It's pretty terrifing tbh. Tightened everything up. Does the guard and handle look in the right place in relation to each other?

15119640732011904298024.jpg

17. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

If you’re left handed.

18. UnderAnOpenSky

Well I didn't cut any limbs of using it. Was quite scary and made a shit load of dust. Hell of a bit of kit.

Can you, or rather, should you use it to cut wood? I've a shed to take down and various random stuff to be cut up so we can take it to the tip. However hardly any places sell such blades (for a 230mm). In fact this is the only one I can find.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...a0838e16bb6c&pd_rd_w=fwj93&pd_rd_i=B01LMBTE2A

19. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Do not cut wood!
    It would be lethal, dangerous, do not fit a blade like that on an angle grinder.

20. UnderAnOpenSky

Well that's a pretty definite response. Looks like we'll be using more labor intensive methods then. :D

ricbake likes this.
  21. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Angle grinders spin much faster than circular saws and you can't braced the wood because there is no foot to sit on it like a circular saw. The kick will send the wood flying one way and the grinder the other. Lethal!
    They do make blades for carving wood with an angle grinder but they are difficult to use and the wood has to be very well secured and you really need to know what you're doing.
    upload_2018-2-10_12-0-31.png

UnderAnOpenSky and danski like this.
  22. StoneRoad

And if you get a circular saw for cutting wood - watch it ! they can be vicious beasts, not in the same league as angle grinders as they don't run as fast, but ... you need to securely hold (clamp) whatever you are cutting.
    Another thing to watch out for when cutting old wood - old nails and screws will wreck blades / chuck bits of metal and wood about, so if you think there might be some old nails, use a manual saw and even then, take extra care. It is harder work, but a lot safer.
    (We often cut up broken pallets for firewood ...)

23. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

For dismantling a shed, a reciprocating saw would be best. You can get blades able to cut the wood and cope with nails too.
    A hammer and crowbar would probably suffice though.

24. StoneRoad

Wrecking a shed can be fun - how destructive you are will depend on what you want to do with the remains and how rotten it is !

(Neighbour wrecked and burnt a shed last year, it was only bad at ground level so it was very annoying, as I could have used most of it to repair two of mine ! I've had to buy new planking instead)

25. keybored

keybored

Nonsense!

serveimage2.jpg

26. UnderAnOpenSky

Don't think I can justify any more power tools. At least not till this project is complete and we have a new and bigger shed. I'd be tempted to burn it, but don't think neighbors would be happy!

Need to get it and old fence panels small enough to fit in a berlingo van.

Project is taking ages due it being winter. Had a very productive day Wednesday, weather was glorious once I got a sweat on, can't see this week coming being the same sadly.

27. Nice one

Nice one Well-Known Member

you can get hand-held mini circular saws - they even do them cordless. Same size and shape an angle grinder but lot less umph and limited to the depth of wood you can cut, not much use other than for planks.

28. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

29. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

And always, always wear eye protection with any kind of power saw.

existentialist likes this.