Basic DIY questions?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by UnderAnOpenSky, Nov 4, 2016.

1. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It's either a pipe leaking, rainwater getting in, or you're making that room ridiculously humid by e.g. drying clothes in there.

The first place I would look would be the bath/shower/sink waste pipe while the taps/shower are on full blast.

Is that an external wall?

2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Hmmm :(

It's not an external wall. I can pull the side of the bath of again I guess, but it was dry under there last time I looked. It's not an external wall, but annoyingly is the one that is between us and the neighbors.

3. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

It might look dry but you need to try and feel under all the pipes during or just after they are being used. A pipe could drip happily through some crack on to the ceiling below on you'd not notice much just by looking at it.

Pic of under the bath?

4. UnderAnOpenSky

Let me get a knife out. GFs dad did the sealing...lets hope I can put it back as neatly as him :D

5. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

If you had trace and access for escape of water on your insurance that might be an option if you can't be arsed.

6. UnderAnOpenSky

Nah. I'll have a look. Going down the insurance route seems even harder work.

7. UnderAnOpenSky

IMG_20170401_164334894.jpg

Right. It's off. A rather damp patch next to where the panel was, but everything is dry. Especially around the pipes. I'm doing the grouting anyway as it was looking in a pretty sorry state, so if nothing else the bathroom will look better for it.

The grouting on the walls is more recent or looks in much better condition. Now I've had a go at small patch, it's made me realise just how shit a job the last person did of cleaning up. :mad:

8. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

The bath has a shower? From the pattern of dampness most likely the water is going around the screen/curtain when you're showering and running behind the panel. If not then it's leaking underneath somewhere.

You need to sit there and watch someone have a shower/use the bath.

9. UnderAnOpenSky

It does and it has a panel, which although it looks good, I suspect is probably less effective then a curtain. The shower being the culprit does make sense.

10. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

A hinged glass shower screen? They're a right 'mare tbh. Find where the water is getting through and down to the bath panel. The first line of defense is try and make the screen effective so no water reaches the bath panel. Some carefully positioned sealant may do the trick.

The last defence is to seal the bath panel perfectly so water only runs down the front of it and not down the back or underneath. It can then be moped up from the floor. However doing this means you can no longer take it off to check behind it.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  11. UnderAnOpenSky

That's the one. I think awareness of making sure that's it's perfectly positioned may help. I'll seal it back on. I had to chop through several layers of old stuff to get it off, but it hadn't been done along the top. It's going to take a fair while just to get all the old sealant off. At least now I've a better idea I'm not going to sweat about getting every bit of old grout out in places away from the bath...just enough to put some of the new silicon stuff in so looks uniform and fresh.

12. UnderAnOpenSky

Well it looks a lot better for being grouted with a silicone based grout and I've sealed the bath within an inch of it's life with clear sealant. Guess all I can do now is repaint the ceiling and see what happens. Hope I don't have to get that bath panel of anytime soon...

bi0boy likes this.
  13. UnderAnOpenSky

I bought an SDS drill yesterday. At 5kg it's like you are holding power. I feel I now need to drill a big hole in the side of my house to justify buying it.

Mab, BassJunkie, WouldBe and 2 others like this.
  14. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Fit an extractor fan! Who wants used air? :cool:

15. UnderAnOpenSky

It was doing the one in the kitchen that made me realise how awesome they are. I was using a tiny drill and chisel and my neighbour saw me struggling and leant me one.

You can mix Cement with it as well as I'm currently plotting a patio this could prove rather handy.

16. UnderAnOpenSky

On that note I'm having a bit of a nightmare on planning how many bags of sub base, sand and cement to buy. Can't buy in bulk bags as can't get a van to where I'm working.

On the wicks and travis perkins websites they don't give a weight, but I think want to cover about 10m2 with about 60mm of sub base, when compacted and then about 50mm of cement.

17. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

One of the annoying things about water leaks - where the damp shows up can be a very long way from the source. So tracing it back can be difficult.
    An old favourite is partially blocked guttering and especially down-comers, or a hopper that is too small for the water flow. eg adding the extension roof drainage gutters into existing down pipes. (I have this problem, but only when it really throws it down.

UnderAnOpenSky - if you want "scrap" slate for building dwarf walls, or the crushed trimmings, there are several sources here in N. Wales ... just make sure you aren't being ripped off for removing what is essentially a waste product !

18. StoneRoad

Finding one of the online Quantities calculators might help, I'm nowhere near my reference stuff this weekend.
    But FYI - A standard "dumpy" bag is "one ton" ...

19. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks. I'd like to buy a big bag, but no way of getting it where I need it. Parking area is not right in front of my house.

Do you know how much one of these holds?

MOT Type 1 Sub-base Trade Pack | Travis Perkins

20. UnderAnOpenSky

I do need to look at the drains :(

The thought had crossed my mind as I work in an old slate mine and am regularly around the spoil heaps of Bleanau Festiniog. However I'm not sure I can face loading it and transporting it. The job is feeling pretty epic already.

21. StoneRoad

I've been "collecting" dry stone walling materials for some years, mainly digging up the remains of a wall in my garden, which have become dwarf walls.
    Also, some larger pieces (for throughs and caps) have come from a neighbouring farmer when I was rebuilding the front boundary (after the local hooray 'enries knocked it down one Saturday - their "waller" just heaped lumps into the gap).
    How is this for a slate feature ...
    [​IMG]
    nsm - cone
    par StoneRoad2013, on ipernity

TikkiB and gentlegreen like this.
  22. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Sproutarian.

Very nice indeed.
    Is it cemented in any way ?

23. StoneRoad

Not that I know for certain; but I think it has a central "pole" to control the small pieces at the top and is not cemented at all, just using the slate's own weight.

gentlegreen likes this.
  24. UnderAnOpenSky

Just clocked that's outside the Slate museum? Chap I'm working with tomorrow used to work there and is awesome person to have as an assistant as he knows loads about the slate industry. :)

25. StoneRoad

Yep, well spotted - I went there as part of a birthday day out treat and that cone was just one of the things that caught my eye.

26. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

It does say weight varies due to water content but those maxi bags are usually about 20 - 25Kg.

27. UnderAnOpenSky

That's helpful. I can understand that it's a more expensive way to buy it, but if the bulk bags are a ton and are 50 quid, this makes it about £200 a ton!

It seems like a lot of sub base as well. 50mm seems to be what is recommended, but that's a shit load of materials if I have to buy in small bags.

28. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Most of these companies can deliver a bulk bag. Is there anywhere close that 1 could be dropped and then barrow the sub base from the bag to your patio area?

29. UnderAnOpenSky

I guess that will have to be the solution, but it's going to be a right ball ache with moving it and also ensuring the space is actually free when they deliver it!

30. UnderAnOpenSky

Anyway a simple afternoon job has turned out to be anything but. Wanted to change the shelving around in the cupboard under the stairs. Though it would be as simple as taking a bit of to make room for more. The screws have had so many coats of paint that I can't get them out. I thought a little brute force and ignorance may yield results so tried putting a chisel behind the wood the bracket is on. It appears to be sunk into the plaster. Why on earth would that be the case?
    IMG_20170411_171518552.jpg IMG_20170411_171526296.jpg