Basic DIY questions?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by UnderAnOpenSky, Nov 4, 2016.

1. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

The better solution is to tap them in even deeper with a blunt centre punch and fill them and the hole in situ, with either caulk or a smooth filling compound ...
    sand surface smooth to original level.

When you have a pull out like that - make sure loose material is removed before filling or glue in place (with PVA) - when filling a deep or large hole, use a coarse plaster to bulk out, but beware of slumping if the mix is too wet / soft before it had gone off. Several shallow fills, finishing with the smooth filler and sand to level with the original surface.
    (been there, done that, got the t-shirt and wrote the filmplay based on the book - I wish I had some images of the buggerups the previous owners left us with here !)

2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Will remember for future! Have all be caulked up now ready for sanding and painting tomorrow.

3. StoneRoad

Sorry! UnderAnOpenSky I edited a bit about my personal experience of a similar problem ...

4. UnderAnOpenSky

Drat. Wish I'd seen that earlier. I just pointed the gun in the hole and squeezed till they were full, then flattened off. Will see how they sand tomorrow! Still quite pleased with how the huge ones that had wall anchors in seem to have filled.

Next up is I'm quite as pleased with the very dark red we chose for that wall...

5. StoneRoad

UnderAnOpenSky - just don't try putting any fixings into repaired areas ... whilst some fillers are good at loads, others just fill space without much strength, and even the former can fail if the bonding between materials is weak.

Sounds like some nice colours ...

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  6. UnderAnOpenSky

Yup. It doesn't seem like it would take much load. Going to need to do it again anyway as I think it shrunk into the holes overnight and is now not flush with the wall. I've actually done things the wrong way round in this room. Mounted the huge extending TV mount first. Would have made more sense to paint first...

Anyway I have a new kitchen floor. I'd like to take credit, but GFs Dad did the scary cutting part on the vinyl. Only downside is that there is black sealant on my skirting boards. Still one thing I've noticed is that the more little jobs I do, the more the see that need to be done. On the plus side with the horrible blue walls now vanquished and a new floor it seems so different and that was sub £100.

I think I'm taking on glossing next. Normally I'd just paint over what was there, but it's pretty hideous. Last owner was even more cack handed then me and there are drips everywhere.... What's the best way to stripping these services smooth enough to get a more even coat on?

7. StoneRoad

stripping paint is a foul job.
    If it is sound - not flakey - then gently sand it back to smooth, wash down (to remove all dust), dry and recoat. More will need to come off if the paint is very rough, lumpy or flaking off. If you are using a darker colour then one coat will do, of not, then undercoat before glossing. Using newspaper and masking tape otherwise the paint will get everywhere you don't want it.
    I wouldn't advise chemicals or heat gunning - both stink and the latter is less than easy to use safely. It is all too easy to overheat spots and scorch the wood.

btw, water for soluble caulking or white spirit will clean off sealant, if it hasn't cured, if it has then scrape or sand it once fully cured.

8. UnderAnOpenSky

See posts like this make me glad I asked the question. I was all set for taking doors of and pouring chemicals all over the. I'll content myself to a more mundane solution!

9. UnderAnOpenSky

I just ran 240v through myself. :(

Turns out the downstairs socket I was changing is wired to the upstairs sockets and not the downstairs. Thought I was safe when the lamps plugged into other sockets in the room went off. Lesson learnt. Don't think my heart feels to funny, but all my fingers tingle.

10. existentialist

existentialist Danced on by a twerking bee

They're not nice. Anyone who's fiddled with electrics will learn this lesson! The answer is, check and double-check. I am not content with just plugging a lamp in - I'll plug it into a known working socket, confirm it lights, then plug it into the circuit I'm working on and confirm it doesn't. It's a faff, but I prefer that to a mains belt up the arm.

By and large, if you don't hit the deck there and then, you're going to be OK. But it's a nasty shock, especially the first time, and it will leave you feeling quite unsettled.

StoneRoad and WouldBe like this.
  11. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I've had several sockets / lights wired up like that. Gets well confusing but I've rewired now so know what is on what circuit. :)

StoneRoad likes this.
  12. existentialist

Without wanting to have a particular dig at professional electricians, it doesn't pay to assume whoever wired up did things the way we might expect to have them done. And I have encountered some really nasty work that was supposed to have been done by a sparks.

But if you have any electrician friends who don't mind you hanging around and watching them, you can pick up some quite useful operating practices :)

UnderAnOpenSky, StoneRoad and WouldBe like this.
  13. UnderAnOpenSky

Yeah lesson learnt that's for sure. I'm of DIY for a little bit. A bit of organising is needed before anymore tasks. Anyway of on holiday soon and GFs Dad has volunteered to come and keep our cats company for a few hours and potter and do some tasks. Annoying the cooker hob was broken on arrival and the black mirrored glass hob was just a mirror and no hint of black! Hopefully he can lay the pipes so it just drops in when it arrives though!

Anyway here is my "feature" wall that I got electrocuted fitting the sockets to. :D.

1485941249215-633879516.jpg

14. StoneRoad

yeah, know how that feels UnderAnOpenSky !

We've traced / re-wired and recorded both the wiring and the plumbing in our current house. FIL was a pretty good sparks, even after he retired, and my OH is a "competent person" for both, and our gas is LPG and we have a mate with the appropriate ticket --- so all good.

(Have great fun with the LPG thing, our combi boiler has a maintenance / annual check contract with British Gas. Despite when booking the fitter, telling them it is LPG, there have been a number of times when a methane only one turns up ... one year that happened three times before they got it right, and I had to take three days unpaid leave, having already used / booked all official days for the year and the company had a draconian sickness regime which would have landed like a ton of concrete if I had tried a sickie. After some wrangling we got a bit of a refund / compo. Also there has only been one time they got the booking wrong after that - but the fault was waterside not gas, the diverter valve was not motoring, so a new one* came - via a work contact - just in time for the right fitter a few days later, * it came with "odd" pipe sizes as well)

15. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Only thing I've learned from watching sparks so far is "it's more of a faff trying to route a cable through a live fuse box than it is to turn the power off" ;eek: :D

Must get round to putting in new meter tails soon. Someone has upgraded the fuse in the fuse head? to 100A and put new 100A cable from there to the meter, then left 80A cable from the meter to the fuse box. :facepalm:

16. UnderAnOpenSky

I'm leaving anything past changing the sockets, switches and light fitting well alone. I couldn't even do that before I moved.

17. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I used to repair all the electrics on helicopters. Far more juice and circuits in one of those than a house. :)

18. UnderAnOpenSky

I'd rather hope the training requirements are slightly higher. :D

WouldBe likes this.
  19. existentialist

Yeah. Given tolerances, that's probably not any kind of safety hazard (it's probably rated for 80A with an x celsius temperature increase over ambient, or suchlike), but that's not the point: the one group of people you'd hope :hmm: to be following the regs are professional electricians! I suppose the risk of a short cut (bah, forgot to go to wholesaler, never mind, got some 80A in the van...) on domestic premises, where nobody's likely to be inspecting it closely, is such that corners do get cut.

20. existentialist

On that note, I needed to rationalise 3 daisy-chained consumer units into 1 in a flat I had, but I was planning on doing it myself, which meant doing the final switch over with a "hot" supply. I went to paranoid lengths to ensure I covered any exposed paths to earth (for the live conductor, anyway), wore gloves, put the stepladder on a rubber mat, and did the transfer very carefully with a pair of insulated pliers with tape all over the metal parts. Then happened to mention it to someone I vaguely knew who was an electrician, and he was all "yeah, we do that all the time" :D.

Chemical needs and WouldBe like this.
  21. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

22. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

The system probably had 80A cable before the main fuse was uprated so was just left.

The professional electrician I had in when I had the solar panels put in put down on the paper work that I only had an 80A supply to the house because he'd only looked at the cable to the fuse box. :facepalm:

existentialist likes this.
  23. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Electrical faults on houses don't cause them to fall out of the sky. :eek: :D

24. Backatcha Bandit

Backatcha Bandit ..likes the post, hates the poster.

That 80/100A fuse on the company head (technically the 'distributors cut out') is upstream of the meter, so should be sealed (wire twist and lead seal) and shouldn't be messed with...

That said, if I'm ever faced with working 'live' or cutting the seals and pulling the fuse, I'll pull it. Every time. If I'm feeling particularly dutiful, I'll let the DNO know that the seal is cut on the understanding that 'it was like that when I got there', or maybe fit temp seal and give them the number (if I can find the damn kit).

What's supposed to happen is that you pay them ~£130 to come and cut the seals and pull it for you, then they come back at 5pm and reseal - or later for another ~£130!

It depends on the DNO where you are as to how much they care... They're supposed to fit a main switch there nowadays, anyhow.

There are circumstances where 16mm2 tails are OK on a 100A DCO fuse, but it depends on the installation (and you'd have to be able to show that you understand why it's OK).

It's the domestic stuff that does get inspected. For a spark to work legally on domestic, they must* be registered with NICEIC, ELECSA or similar body, part of that registration means at least once a year an inspector comes out to you, goes through all the Installation Certificates you've issued that year, picks one or two 'at random' (they actually have a spooky talent for sensing the ones you're, er, 'not proud of') then off you both go for a fairly thorough inspection. If they're happy, that's it for the year... otherwise, further inspections (that you pay extra £££ for).

Basically, it means that you might as well do every job as if it will be inspected.

There is no such 'requirement' for doing commercial work.

(*You can just get local authority building control to inspect each and every job, but that can cost almost as much as a years registration, plus they can be dicks).

25. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

There's a sealed switch on the outlet of the meter I've got. I just need to switch it off there and replace the meter tails to the fuse box. :)

26. UnderAnOpenSky

GFs parents were round the other day and commented on how much things have come on. It was nice but still don't feel like I've done that many big jobs.

Anyway at the moment it looks like I don't have much work on in March so a fair bit of time to get on with stuff. Talk has started on replacing the tiny patio and digging beds. I can feel the back pain already. It's all a learning experience. :hmm:

I've got this silly idea that seeing as I'm doing a lot of work near Bleanau Ffestiniog it would be nice to do it in Welsh Slate rather then concrete. Being sensible its probably out my price range, but I've asked a guy I work with and he's given me the name of a quary and a man to speak to if I'm paying cash...

As always slightly terrifying working with expensive materials when I have zero experience plus the whole rocking up to such a place.

27. UnderAnOpenSky

So it appears that damp is penetrating from my bathroom to my kitchen. We've had the side of the bath of and it's dry underneath, so don't think it's the pipes, just that floor has been badly grouted and it's letting small amounts of water through.

Been looking at videos of people grouting stuff on youtube and my head is starting to hurt with the different techniques, products and tools. What's the easiest and most effective way to go about doing this?

I've got a tub of this stuff in stock (although I don't remember buying it!). Is it any use? Very mixed reviews on the screwfix site.

Mapei Waterproof Fix & Grout White 1.5kg | Screwfix.eu

28. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

How wet does your floor get? You must be sloshing a lot of water on for it to reach the kitchen. Can you from under the bath stick a torch/mirror/camera into the void under the tiled floor? Any pipes under there?

danski likes this.
  29. UnderAnOpenSky

I don't remember seeing such a gap when we had the side of the bath off. I don't think the floor gets that wet, but does of course get damp when we get out the bath.

I only painted this before xmas, ceiling and walls The wall that is still white had lining paper on it, which was very damp underneath when we removed it. This is not exterior wall, so not sure what else it could be.

IMG_20170401_095233614.jpg

30. existentialist

I have to say, the few drips you're talking about from someone getting out of the bath aren't going to account for a damp patch like the one you describe - it sounds to me as if whatever is causing the damp is fairly continuous

danski likes this.