Barry Island. There's lovely.

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Lucky JACKSON, Apr 15, 2006.

1. keybored

keybored ㋛̶̶̵̙̜̝̖̝̭̎̀̔̌̕

Sorry, I meant the book :oops::)

2. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Seconded

3. lewislewis

lewislewis Lumumba Cymru

I live near Barry Island :)

4. [​IMG]

my gramps built this building (the white one with the pillars) and fell off it and broke his back

5. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

Me,Mrs27 and bump have just been over to St.F's.Walked thru museum from car park, left via the pedestrian entrance and had a lovely pint of pear cider in the Plymouth Arms.It was the incentive I needed to walk in this heat!!

6. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Oh, had a smashing afternoon at St Fagans today with a friend from Edinburgh who was well impressed. Hotter than Satan's G String today. Whew! They've changed the name of the place and one of the staff said they're getting feedback that it's confusing for people. Whatever it's called, I love it - oh and had a quick zip round Barry Island on Friday night as well. Love the snaps on the thread.

(Newbie here - recommended by a good friend btw.)

Chemical needs likes this.
  7. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

welcome / croeseo CRI :)

8. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Ah, diolch yn fawr! :)
    Ah, thank you! :)

9. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time Well-Known Member

Are you named after the Cardiff Royal Infirmary on Newport road?

10. jayeola

jayeola New Member

went there in the nineties to a "rave" either on the beach or "forest". Either way I had a really nice time. Great party with nice people.

11. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

*waves at CRI* :)

MMmmmmmmm pear cider *drool*

12. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

i thought this and wondered if it was a friend of a friend :hmm::D

13. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Pear cider (which is a mix of Perry and cider) or Perry which is the pear equiv of cider?

Has a friend who makes real Perry as an independant brewer (and real cider).

14. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

*sluuuuuuuuuuuurp* :oops:

15. LilMissHissyFit

LilMissHissyFit Disturbed in a pink bra

I can walk there from my house now we've moved... am yet to do so though:(

16. CRI

CRI Registered Chooser

Ta for the wave and welcome Strumpet!

It's gotta be ice cold though.:cool:

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

18. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

Spent most summer weekends in Barry Island as a kid, got so many fond memories of it. The train from Queen St station was always packed with hundreds of excited kids clutching bucket and spade, dreaming of donkey rides, splashing about in the sea, and a couple of rides on the shows. The beach was huge, so easy to get lost on, hence the constant blare over loud-speakers of missing child announcements. You had to remember the number on the wall along the edge of the beach as a pointer to where your mum and dad were sat. I wouldn't mind betting a few of the parents moved just to get a couple of hours kip and sunburn without the kids shouting for a sarnie or lolly or chips. Mmm, the chips at the far end of the promenade were the best ever, well worth the walk and the wait. Wonder what Barry's like these days. Is the water any cleaner?

One of my fave places was Fontigary. We were homeless for a while and lived in my aunty's caravan for a couple of months. It was fab, right by the sea and lots of fields for playing in. Oh, and the best fish and chip shop ever.

19. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam. Enforced Holiday Banned

I went to Butlins about thirty years ago. My mum always recites the story about being on the beach when this "strange little black boy" appeared. It was me covered in some kind of oil.

I hope they've cleaned the beach up a bit since then.

20. mwgdrwg

I'll show that to my mum, she'll love it.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

shygirl likes this.
  22. mwgdrwg

That place was magical to me when I was a kid in the late 70s. So sad to see.

Tankus, editor and bendeus like this.
  23. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

This. Magical and huge. Its dazzle and allure masked the smell of piss in the fun house and the crapness of the ghost train.

Remember going back as a grown up during the death rattle of the pleasure park. It was tiny, sad and crap :(

shygirl and editor like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Behold the beauty of Barry Island in its prime.

Butlins-Barry-Island-Chairlift-and-Sands-1200x796.jpg

25. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

To be fair, I still wouldn't want to go there, 'cos phildwyer reckoned the people there were dead hard, and would stab up anyone who wasn't from Barry, AND some people who were from Barry! :eek: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

26. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Have you got any other old pics? Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Chemical needs and kebabking like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. 8ball

8ball Up to something

Tidy.