Barry Island. There's lovely.

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by Lucky JACKSON, Apr 15, 2006.

1. ZIZI

ZIZI From 1-10 = 11

My first holiday was in Barry Butlins. Me, mam, dad and my two sisters travelled there in a relatives camper van-dropped off at the front gates and after getting all booked in went off to find our chalet. I was 13 at the time and I was imagining a plush trendy place to stay but what greeted us was sometheing I will remember for many years.

The bunk bed rocked back and fore and smelt fausty. There were so many staines on the furninshings it left me traumatised. However, it was our first family holiday and after joining the kids clubs and putting on a really Welsh accent because everyone else had a brumy or some sort of English accent I just wanted to fit in (what I didn't realise at that age was that my Welsh accent was already there I just didn' know it) I also told the other kids that I came from miles and miles away when in reality I came from just outside Caerphilly.

I had a fab time even though we had very little money then my parents made sure we had fun on the beach by my dad organising beach games with the other kids.

If I told my kids now that we were going to Barry on holiday they would think I was insane and embarrassing.

Barry has some good childhood memories its nice to drift back and remember those days in the 70's.....:cool:

2. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

I smile at how small, pokey and rumpled the old fair looks when I drive past it now. When I was a kid it was a huge, glittery (albeit urine-smelling), flawless edifice of fun. I'm sure, though, that to adults it was as grotty then as it is now to me. It's amazing how perceptions change over time. :cool:

I particularly liked the fun house with its carpet-lined revolving tube and the vertical slide ("shoes off!"), as well as the aforementioned Traum Boot. Happy memories indeed.

3. ZIZI

ZIZI From 1-10 = 11

Ah yes, those friction carpet burns, what fun!!:p

4. bendeus

bendeus Bellend Tagline Generator

Friction burns and stale urine odours. Ahhhh!

5. Karac

Karac Mae Hen Wlad Fy Mamau

Nice photos -but it makes it look a lot more depressing than i remember it-but i havent been there for years.
    I went to Barry for a friends birthday do when we were kids-unfortunately the birthday boy had had a load of candi-floss and coke and decided to puke it all up on the Spanish waltzer-the centrifugal force making it spray all over the rest of us and the bloke in charge of the ride wouldnt stop the thing till the bitter end.

I also worked as a waiter at Barry Butlins for a season years ago-it was a pretty shit job and doling out the "food" was embarassing,the menus would make it sound all nice but it was just mass cooked ready plated crap that arrived in mobile ovens.
    Quite often the waiters would drop the food on the kitchen floor cos they it was baking hot and then have to scrape it back up off the floor,dust and all,because they only had a limited number of meals:eek:
    The highlight of the day was going to the local con club because they did cheap strong swiss lager.

6. Addy

Addy cooking...

I went there a few times as a kid and took my family there the begining of the summer. (I got sunburnt quite badly)
    It made for a nice day out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cerisa

Cerisa Worst week ever, cured by

ah, i still go there quite a lot, as my gran lives in Cardiff - my dad likes to take us on walks in the nice healthy sleet over the Christmas holidays to work off all the turkey

8. Cerisa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope no-one minds, some pics from when i was last there :)

9. Addy

Addy cooking...

I like pic 2 with some contrast/rgb changes you can make it quite outstanding.

[​IMG]
    changed contrast

[​IMG]
    changed RGB

10. Cerisa

ooh i love how it looks with the contrast adjusted, i must get a decent photoshop program :)

11. Structaural

Structaural in Chatsubo

Our school (Dick Sheppard on Tulse Hill) took two years worth of kids to Barry Butlin's back in 1985ish for a week. The poor, poor residents of Barry :)
    It remains one of the highlights of my time at school though.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Went there once on a school trip. We had a brilliant time in the morning at Barry Island, then had to spend the afternoon at St Fagan's, complete with bloody worksheets.:(

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

From my page:

:eek:.

15. isnt that where stacey's from? :)

16. LilMissHissyFit

LilMissHissyFit Disturbed in a pink bra

St fagans is ace, minus the worksheets

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

St Fagans rocks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.urban75.org/photos/wales/st-fagans-museum.html

18. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

Not when I was 10 years old, it didn't.

19. FaradayCaged

FaradayCaged I like pancakes, do you like pancakes?

hehe same here

anyone seen the newest south park episode 'super fun time' it reminded me of st fagans! :D

20. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Ha i thought the same thing as well. If only st fagans was as interesting tho.

21. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I've always loved St.Fagans even when I was ten!:D

22. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I went when I was ten and saw a robin redbreast :)
    Much better than being in school.

23. 1927

1927 Funnier than he thinks he is.

I remember Robin, that was a nasty rash that made her breasts red. She grew out of it tho.

24. softybabe

softybabe one merlot then two....

cool pics ed, we went there last weekend as well...^^^one of my favs ...i loved the church and the huts as well...got pics on my phone...

25. fizzerbird

fizzerbird Lovely Bellend

oh...whas ocurrring? :D

26. softybabe

softybabe one merlot then two....

St Fagans burd...tis very coolio there :)

27. Strumpet

Strumpet gypsy girl

Yes and Nessa :D:cool:

I wun't lie to ewe Ed....them's fukn lush pics mun :cool:

28. LilMissHissyFit

LilMissHissyFit Disturbed in a pink bra

You sure it wasnt you with the attitude problem?
    Even 20 years ago with only a handful of buildings and when it charged loads for entry it was wonderful....:confused:

29. keybored

keybored

Chopper :eek::D

30. rhod

rhod Mickey Mozart

or, maybe...

[​IMG]