Bangers chat

Discussion in 'transport' started by not-bono-ever, Nov 30, 2018.

1. dessiato

dessiato Ua Mau ke Ea o ka ʻĀina i ka Pono

Bangers are not always foolish are they? Get the right one and do basic maintenance and they're much cheaper than a new car to run.

Sprocket., Riklet and polly like this.
  2. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

My Focus is whining again. I have topped up the brake/clutch fluid like the nice man at the garage told me to last time, but it's still whining, albeit less so. I may top it up some more later. Whilst doing this, I noticed that the power steering lubrication reservoir is empty, so I've topped that up too.
    This is the most work I have done on the car in the 10 years I've had it. :thumbs:

Sprocket., Voley, kebabking and 2 others like this.
  3. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

Yeah that whining was probably the power steering pump having a go at you.

Chilli.s and dessiato like this.
  4. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Even if I had loads of spare cash I don't think I'd buy a proper car. I've lived with bangers all my life, they've generally done me proud and taken me all over Europe for hardly anything. I just don't see much benefit from spunking loads of cash on a newer car that does the same as a banger. I generally tend to invest in (or swap out) the stereos though.

Sprocket., Poi E, co-op and 2 others like this.
  5. polly

polly Well-Known Member

I 100% feel this too. When I got given a fancy volvo as a courtesy car everyone said I'd get a taste for nice cars, but I didn't, I really hated it, and used to sigh wistfully when I saw little bangers on the road. Much more fun and being able to lift up the bonnet and fix minor things myself is really satisfying. I did loot the (quite nice after market) stereo from my old car too :D

co-op, nogojones and dessiato like this.
  6. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

I got my 12 year old hand-me-down Laguna through an MOT with no advisories, so it got a new cambelt and a bunch of other stuff, totalling £950 :rolleyes:

Poi E and mx wcfc like this.
  7. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

I had to have a company car for a couple of years. A quite nice A3. So I gave my 14 year old A4 to my girlfriend and hated every minute in the A3. With tax, loss of expenses mileage, tyre and damage excess, plus loss of a full ncd as I was on company insurance for over two years, this free "perk" ended up costing me far more than any car I ever bought :mad:

8. polly

polly Well-Known Member

Ugh :mad: It's a racket. I was constantly stressed out by it too and even had to back out of the car wash really fast at the last minute because I couldn't figure out how to fold in the wing mirrors :D (I rubbed it down with floor wipes in the end at the side of the road, and swept all the crisps under the seats with my hands. Was fine)

Poi E and nogojones like this.
  9. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

I'm had 70,000 miles out of a Fiesta that's now 20 years old (a mere stripling of 13 when I got it for £1800). It has bimbled through every MOT with really bugger all work. I keep waiting for something big so I can chick it (don't really need it any more) but nothing happens.

Sprocket., polly and nogojones like this.
  10. dessiato

My Astra G convertible has now crossed into banger territory. I've had it for 7 years I think. It has about 160000 on the clock. I've spent a lot on repairs and maintenance on it. Once a timing belt snapped after 40000 miles on a new belt. Had the head rebuilt and so far it's fine. I had the rear suspension rebuilt because of serious rust and cracked spring. I could have done it cheaper but put quality OEM parts on. I cracked the sump, my fault. It's cost me an average of about 500€ a year in repairs and maintenance. And that because of how expensive parts are here for a Bertone, because this spec wasn't ever sold here, many mechanical parts have to come from Germany. The upside is that the value of Bertones is beginning to climb.

I really want to get rid, but what other four seater convertible would I replace it with?

(Another SAAB or an M-B CLK?)

Sprocket. likes this.
  11. Poi E

RR Evoque.:D

12. dessiato

You, sir, have cut me to the very quick. How dare you? Outside, now. We can settle this as gentlemen.

Sprocket., polly, Poi E and 1 other person like this.
  13. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

Drive it til it dies, then sell it for parts in Spain. :thumbs:

Something locally available and easily repairable would make sense though, right?

Sprocket. and dessiato like this.
  14. dessiato

Q high is why I bought my Astra Bertone in the first place.

15. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

It depends on the budget. E93 3 series BMW maybe. That is a true four seater and even has reasonable luggage space. A 6 speed manual 318i would be the best if you can find one. Volvo C70 cabrio if you don't care that it steers like a garbage scow. SAABs are junk and the spares are drying up now. Dunno about the CLK, they are fucking tiny inside.

16. dessiato

I liked my SAAB and often wish I'd kept it. The rag top C70 is nice, and very rare here, as are dealers, so parts might be a big problem locally. I'll look at the BMW, it might be an option. The M-B in the right colour can look OK.

I really don't know. None of them are what I really want but are closest to a what I want and need compromise.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  17. Poi E

Banger bummer. Stone on the M25 cracked my windscreen. No windscreen coverage as I'm a cheap bastard. :rolleyes:

IMG_20190315_110626.jpg

18. dessiato

Is it going to be expensive to replace?

19. Poi E

Probably! First time I've lost a windscreen. The car is worth so little it's a bugger shelling out hundreds for it. But cheap cars come with fixed costs...

20. DownwardDog

Renault Megane Cabrio might be ok. They always go for buttons when they come up at my local auction.

21. dessiato

Because they're slow, ugly, and limited boot space. I really wouldn't want one. I can't think of anything positive about them.

22. DownwardDog

A 2.0Tce would be faster than your tyre shredding Astra and they are cheap af.

23. dessiato

Still ugly though.

24. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

And this is why I don't do car maintenance.......

Checked the levels again this morning, think a bit more brake fluid might be needed to get the whining to stop completely.

I hadn't put the lid back on the reservoir tank. :facepalm:

By some miracle, it was still in the engine compartment, thank feck. Put it back on, whining stopped. :thumbs: I think I'll leave these things to the experts in future.

25. Voley

Voley Ramoner

They really do. 6000 revs is where the VVTI kicks in on my old Corolla. Sticks you in your seat!

It does take a bit of getting used to though. Letting it carry on without changing up a gear does make you wonder if you're treating it really badly. 6000 rpm in 2nd gear can't be a good thing by and large but it's bloody good fun.

26. DownwardDog

If all of your rings, valve seats, bearings, clearances and oil pressure are fine then it's no problem. They are rarely all fine on old engines.

Sprocket. and Voley like this.
  27. Voley

Voley Ramoner

My garage bloke says the same. 'I can see you enjoy driving it.' :D Usually followed by something about 'a wolf in sheeps clothing.'

28. Voley

Voley Ramoner

Coming up on 150,000 miles now, mine. I've had my money's worth really. I'd like another year out of it just because it's such good fun to drive though.

29. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

so anyways the day has come to party with my trusty old y reg astra with the broken gear stick

now seeming as my cheap ass insurance is only reply via email with a 48 hour window of replys

24 hour CS my ass :D

does any know if i can drive the old whip to a local scrappy (its still got tax and a bit of the mot left) if i have full cover on my newish car
    have i idea i can but don't want six points on my license

:hmm:

30. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

What are you asking?

The registered keeper of a car commits an offence if at any time it's not either insured or SORN'd.

Independently of that, you can drive a car if you are a policyholder on another car and that policy lets you drive other cars.

Ax^ likes this.