1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bake off 2017

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Gromit, Mar 16, 2017.

1. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Usually I'd rather watch the washing machine go round than watch Bake Off, but I found myself watching to have an opinion, because of all the hype.

Didn't think much of the show but I was intrigued by the ads. You could tell they were sold at the highest premium possible and sort of looked like US superbowl 'halftime commercials'

RubyToogood likes this.
  2. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Apart from her high end cookery, Pru also appears jolly posh :D

3. jusali

jusali Happy daze.....

"Nice Moist Clutch!" :D

Chemical needs likes this.
  4. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Iconic Pollster

T'wasn't bad. Downloaded it rather than watching it live. Glad they extended the run time to accomodate the ads - I've seen repeats of the early series on some obscure Sky channel and literally everything has to be cut to keep it under one hour, "Hello, make some biscuits..."

5. Me76

Me76 Not very good lurker

I thought it was good and didn't really notice the changes.

Liam, Steven and Flo are my faves.

6. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Well-Known Member

It's exactly the same. Other than drafting in mrs doubtfire and digging up whatever coffin noel fieldings been hibernating in. It will continue to rate well as there's zero competition on the other channels.

7. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw dead stare and computer glare

It got about 6 million apparently, whereas similar episodes on the beeb got 10. But, C4 are apparently pleased with the 6 million, since it represents one of their best outings across their programming.

8. Siouxsie

Siouxsie Fashionable objector with a uniform fetish

I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it!
    Nothing was ruined, even the adverts were welcome for putting the kettle on and taking loo breaks.
    I thought Noel was lovely, slight naughtiness, of which I highly approve.
    Sandi was warm and funny...both came across really well.
    Prue was lovely and will come into her own once the 'but she's not Mary' hype wears down.
    Paul was Paul.
    I thought the calibre of the baking and technique choices had gone up a fair few notches from the bbc...contestants were professional and not the wacky choices everyone feared with the change of channel.

All in all...wonderful way to spend the evening.

Wookey, moomoo, Me76 and 1 other person like this.
  9. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

Great that they got those scriptwriters in to improve all their spontaneous moments, ay.

10. Vintage Paw

This evening's episode was better than last week's. They're finding their footing now, I think.

Liam is the cutest little thing ever and watching his hands constantly shaking makes me just want to hug the heck out of him.

I love Flo so much but fuck me if it wasn't obvious her Operation thing was going to be shit.

Steven will win the overall competition. I'm worried Julia will leave before I want her to - she has some good ideas but they never really seem to be fully-realised. I love Yan with a passion and want her to stay until the end, with Liam. So far I reckon the final will be Steven, that dark haired woman who isn't the geordie, maybe Tom (is his name Tom?). Noel fancies Julia. I really like the chubby guy. I can't remember his name. He seems so lovely. I hope he does well.

I'm glad spreadsheet bloke left tonight. He just came across as a bit of a twat.

11. Siouxsie

I really like Julia, she makes me smile.
    I think Stacey is a little too needy, I think she will fall apart when her turn is up.
    Flo is lovely, a typical Scouse older lady...says it as it is with no airs or graces.
    Steven will win it, followed by the yound girl, names escapes me at the moment....I love her lifestyle, metal work, restoring old furniture...seems like a nice background...Kate!
    I have a slight crush on Tom :oops:

12. Vintage Paw

Yan liked one of my tweets about it lol. Turns out her and Julia are super besties and on a road trip visiting others it seems. They visited Flo the other day. Lots of awesome pictures, and Flo baked for them.

So I'm guessing Yan and Julia stay at least a little while longer, long enough to form that friendship at least.

Kate - is she the geordie? I get her and the other one with dark hair mixed up.

Stacey is the blonde one who always seems to throw her stuff away and bake it again?

Rebelda and Stumpy like this.
  13. Siouxsie

Stacey is the blonde one who always seems to throw her stuff away and bake it again?
    Yes that's her, she wastes so much food, it annoys me.

Me76 likes this.
  14. Calamity1971

Calamity1971 If Mr Peanut says It's okay, then it is.

15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

CALLED IT

[​IMG]

trashpony and Calamity1971 like this.
  16. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

I couldn't go on this programme; I don't have family back stories about teacakes.

How can people as young as 19 have stories about every bake? "My mother-in-law loved earl grey in her teacakes".

Or do family members watch it and think "that never happened".

Me76, pengaleng, Vintage Paw and 2 others like this.
  17. danny la rouge

Plus, Scottish guy is right. This is a tea cake:

IMG_2067.JPG

The things they're making are Not Cross Buns.

Chz, D'wards, zora and 4 others like this.
  18. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Where is the jam?
    That's like the hobo version of a tea cake.

19. Siouxsie

Poor Flo...she has been having a mare lately :(
    Julia's rude snail really made me laugh :D
    Steven's handbag...what can I say, it was perfect, even Paul was impressed, again!
    Prue was a little playful this week, really enjoyed seeing her like that. I think she's starting to settle :)
    Noel and the teacups! :eek: :D
    Very enjoyable all round, even Stacey looked happy.

Me76 and inva like this.
  20. moomoo

moomoo Not so yummy mummy

Bake off makes me so happy and I'm even happier that not much has changed. Who is this Noel chap though? I've never heard of him!

21. danny la rouge

He's a mighty bush.

D'wards and Vintage Paw like this.
  22. Siouxsie

I think his official 'job' is Stand-up comedian but he's better known for 'The Mighty Boosh' and being a team captain on 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks'..he's also done 'Big Fat Quiz Of The Year' a few times.
    I really liked him on the last series of 'Taskmaster' I liked the way he thought on that, I think it gave an insight to the 'real' him.

Saffy and D'wards like this.
  23. trashpony

trashpony Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam

I'm quite liking it although I hate Paul and I hate his fawning over Steve. While I'm sure he's brilliant, that level of ardour is a bit shit for the other contestants.

I like Julia a lot. She reminds me of an urb's girlfriend

Vintage Paw, zora and Me76 like this.
  24. zora

zora true to the crab

Snap!

trashpony likes this.
  25. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Iconic Pollster

26. trashpony

trashpony Starfish and coffee, maple syrup and jam

:D Glad it's not just me

27. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

I work with his mum and have become good pals with her.
    You can tell why he's like he is cos of the way she is. She's a real child of the 60s, loves bowie and the stones etc. Was well into the lsd parties and that when Noel was a kid. She's a bit like Noel really - hedonistic and very cool but also a lovely person

Vintage Paw and Siouxsie like this.
  28. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Oh Dan, it's reality television. If you don't have a back story either make one up or borrow someone else's.
    watching episode 3. Noel is more relaxed, Paul is bonding with Pru....its OK.

danny la rouge likes this.
  29. Siouxsie

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  30. Siouxsie

I've heard him say a few times that he was brought up in a commune :D