Away v Welling United: Tues. 12th November

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Dulwich Mishi, Nov 6, 2019.

1. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. This was a fixture we lost 2-0 last season.

I sympathise with the players and the management too, it must be a hell of a comedown from Friday night.

Pink Panther likes this.
  2. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Definitely not our worst performance in years - "frustratingly ineffective" was how I described it last night. Potential is clearly there, players have inherent quality and it could all come together very quickly.

Look at Bognor who were bottom of the league when we stuffed them 6-1. Have now won 7 straight and are up to 8th.

Other things that weren't great last night were players repeatedly getting caught offside, and others giving away a number of free kicks in dangerous areas by tripping runners from midfield. Both of these forgivable in light of Friday but wouldn't want to see it keep happening.

Pink Panther likes this.
  3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

No one on this thread has suggested he was "dropped for Dempsey". I personally questioned whether Dempsey should be picked ahead of him in a position where he was playing really well until he was moved back to cover for Orlu's absence through injury. I think Dempsey looks a terrific prospect, if we'd signed him properly I'd be quite excited, but as it stands he'll be gone again in a few weeks.

Any introduction of a new player represents a gamble to some extent, and if you believe you can get someone in who will improve the team that's part of the manager's job. However I question the value of bringing in a young loanee at a juncture where we had an established player who in my view could adequately fill the same position. As for Nathan Smith he's a very experienced player, but so far I've seen nothing to convince me he's an upgrade on Connors at left back and he looks less of an attacking threat than Connors.

Who suggested that? I haven't noticed anyone going over the top on here. (Of course some people have little sense of perspective so the most recent game will always be the best/worst, worst referee ever, dirtiest opposition ever etc.)

There were three away games last season (Eastbourne FA Cup, Torquay, Oxford) where we were 4-0 down at half time, so it was certainly better than any of those, as well as most defeats against anyone other than the really good sides. I didn't think it was a lot different to the Chelmsford game a couple of weeks ago.

4. pettyboy

pettyboy Well-Known Member

"There was also nothing tonight to convince me the two newcomers are worth a starting place ahead of Connors and Taylor."

5. Son of Roy

Son of Roy Really?

It wasn't our worst game last night but we could easily have lost to a single goal. It was end to end stuff. There was lots of effort but no flashes of brilliance. Our players did a lot of running but as so often happens we either couldn't get behind the opposition defense, crosses are not to anyone in particular or we take too many touches when we should be shooting. Welling had two players who were taller than Danny Mills. I've noticed Ade Yusuff is so quick he is catching a defender in possession in every game. I'd like to see Connor Hunte getting into shooting positions. Expect we have saved him for Billericay on Saturday.
    Nice chips.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Bugpowder Dust likes this.
  6. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I think the Trophy match at Wingate & Finchley last season has to go down as one of my worst in living memory. Balham and Tooting are right up there too.

dcdulwich, the 12th man and Nivag like this.
  7. MrFab_JP

MrFab_JP Member

We kept a clean sheet!

Jimbob73 likes this.
  8. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

They came into the game on the back of bad results, also some of their fans calling for manager to be sacked

on the Radio commentary sounded like we should have got a penalty and missed a few golden opportunities

unfortunately Ming had a point to make

never liked them after the fascist wasp incidents last year -

9. Jimbob73

Jimbob73 The Wanley Road Massive

Highlights: I caught up with some friends, had a good chat, eat some crap chips. Roll on Saturday :thumbs:

10. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

I didn't think the performance against Balham was terrible, they just played out of their skins for a county league side and still rode their luck near the end. If you'd just seen that game as a neutral without knowing the teams were two divisions apart it was a decent contest.

Hamlet's performances in those other two games were abysmal, especially the London Senior Cup semi-final at Tooting when we seemed to get worse the longer the game lasted, and our lower division opponents weren't flattered by the 3-0 win. There was also a 3-0 league defeat at W&F a few years earlier when we were lucky it wasn't more, and a game at Bognor the same season when we were four goals down at half time during one of our Spring Slumps. And there was Oxford City away last season, and a 4-1 home league defeat to Harrow in September 2016.

11. EDC

EDC A Slightly Less Invisible Cyber Fan These Days

I was drunk at Carshalton for the Balham match, The Hope you know, etc.

Cyclodunc and Pink Panther like this.
  12. Nivag

Nivag Well-Known Member

Re-live the best bits here..

Cyclodunc likes this.
  13. pitchfork

pitchfork Well-Known Member

The issue I have with the current team is that I don’t feel connected with them. I know players change and that’s the nature at this level, but I felt connected with the likes of Erhun, Chambers, Greene, Ming, Vidal, Peter, Benney, Marc and so on. They were passionate about the club and you felt a bond with them. The passion doesn’t seem to be there with the current crop despite the fact they play in front of 2500 every other week. Where is the Kevin James character barking the orders and pushing the team on? We seem a bit soulless at the moment????