Away v. Gloucester City(at Evesham United) Sat. 22/12/18

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Dulwich Mishi, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

Does anyone know the cheapest option to get there...the National Rail website is quoting me almost £35 return from Paddington, with a Gold Card third off...

2. Ian Kaye

Ian Kaye Well-Known Member

That’s about what i paid with a network railcard discount. This is also a day return so it gives me the flexibility to travel and return on any train that i want.

3. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

Cheapest advance fares look to have sold out for that date, and splitting the fares travelling via Birmingham doesn't appear to make a difference. Unless there's a National Express or Megabus option it looks like 35 quid is the best you'll get.

I'm not a fan of coach travel and will do this one by train at £35 on the day, but I'm sure there would be sufficient demand for a supporters' coach if it's not too late to organise, especially as the ground looks to be a fair hike from the station.

4. Dulwich Mishi

So all the cheap tickets by train have gone...serves me right for expecting the DHST to keep to their list...and being fool enough not to realise if they weren't running one for their members they wouldn't bother telling them...

5. Pink Panther

It's GWR Trains (Great Western Rip-off). Searching randomly for Saturday tickets eight weeks from now, you can get advance £6 each way. I didn't realise that, and I often check for forthcoming away games. Even with the risk of postponement that would have been worth a punt. It's now going to cost me three times as much. This is why I have no qualms about calculated fare dodging for short journeys between ungated stations, e.g. East Dulwich to Gipsy Hill. It angers me to be ripped off, I spend more than most on rail travel as a frequent user, so I feel within my rights to claw back some of the money I've wasted when I can. It feels like I have to outwit the services provider to obtain the cheapest fares and that's just not how it should be.

6. Dulwich Mishi

Bring back the Dooley Bus! ;)

7. DonkeyAssessor

DonkeyAssessor Well-Known Member

You don't get many cheap tickets offered by rail companies for the Saturday immediately before Christmas, to start with Mishi.
    It is one of their busiest days of the year.

8. Pink Panther

I hadn't really thought about that. You can get 6 quid each way for the first Saturday in February,, but that was probably never available in the first place for the Saturday before Xmas.

9. Dulwich Mishi

Which would have, surely, been more reason to run a coach...