1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

autonomous cars - the future of motoring is driverless

Discussion in 'transport' started by roryer, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Cid

Cid 请等一下

Yeah, but think of something like this:

[​IMG]

Or lights that have a green cyclist. You need to be pretty confident in measuring the specific amount of light emitted at various distances... Also you'll have massive variance in general light conditions, I mean a bright day in SF is going to provide a fairly overwhelming level of general light. And, of course, broken lights - though they're a problem for anyone.

cupid_stunt and BigTom like this.
  2. BigTom

BigTom Well-Known Member

good point - I think they'd be fine distinguishing between a round light, a cycle symbol and an arrow but yeah a street full of them like that could be confusing.

3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

"Machines" night be able to make more sense of that than me! No turns. One way to left. one way to right. don't block the box........
    thats without street names, other road users and pedestraians all over the place.

kabbes likes this.
  4. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

They build a complete 3D representation of the world around them, so there's no ambuguity about where each light is in the world. That photo is shot with a telephot lens which compresses the depth, anyway.

A380 and cupid_stunt like this.
  5. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

That's what I was going to say! Forget the robot, you better hope it's never me driving down that street.

6. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

In case anyone fancies catching up, this is worth watching Horizon, 2017: Dawn of the Driverless Car
    particularly interesting were the differences between level 3 and level 5 ( I can't remember level 4 being mentioned?).

They did talk briefly about the Tesla death - but for me that was not a self driving car, just a car with lane control and it went wrong.

7. Cid

Cid 请等一下

They did talk about 4 iirc, but mostly to say it's pointless because that level of autonomy means a driver is never going to pay enough attention.

8. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Might watch that now ..

9. weltweit

Watched it, good program I thought, interesting and included the range from large corporates trying to reinvent transport to small startups.

10. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

As I believe it's been pointed out on this thread already, autonomous cars will only work if everyone is forced to switch to them.

If it is left to people to buy them and share the roads with human operated cars, the poor sods might find out their journey home takes three times as much, certainly in cities and busy areas, as the automated car's software will forever be giving way to the more 'proactive' human drivers. Good luck incorporating into a traffic jammed street where the oncoming traffic has preference :D

cupid_stunt and A380 like this.
  11. weltweit

Yes, I have wondered about that myself, but it may be the case that auto cars might operate with closer tolerances of other vehicles permitting them to pull out when a human driver might not.

12. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The thing is in many real life situations one has to simply be a bit cheeky and inch your way in (safely of course) because otherwise you will simply not be able to join in for a very long time. If the software in command of the car has such initiative written in, fair enough. But if it is programmed to follow the Highway Code to the letter, it has all the hallmarks of being an unmitigated disaster IMO.

cupid_stunt likes this.
  13. weltweit

Indeed, I often drive some nose to tail rush hour roads where if people didn't regularly let others join, in front of them, no one on the side road would join the main road at all.

Nevertheless I don't think we are going to wake up one day and find that everyone has switched to auto cars. Firstly I think they are going to be expensive. They may have low insurance costs, if they are safer, but you can buy a £500 runabout petrol manual car now and I don't see auto cars replacing that cheap second hand market any time soon.

14. A380

A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

Was in MK today and they have put signs up ready for the station to centre automatic pod trial...

15. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

Sky News is featuring the driver-less pods in Milton Keynes this morning as, after years of testing, up to 40 will start operating from spring 2018.

Funny looking things...

16. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

This is from 7/11/18 - Google sibling Waymo launches fully autonomous ride-hailing service

So, drive-less cabs are actually arriving in the US during 2018 as well.

17. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Why do they have to look so shit.