1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio PC build advice

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ska invita, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

oh does it? I thought it might just be a microphone-in affair...I haven't looked at the back. So it will take the main audio signal going on in the laptop and have an output for it?

2. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

It’s basically an external sound card. So you have a couple of mic ins and some xlr outs at the back.

E2a- you’ll have to tell your DAW to use that interface.

ska invita likes this.
  3. snadge

snadge metal alchemist

Personally I would go with a 1155 board, 2 generations old as these boards are the last to offer full size PCIx expansions, this enables you to pick up excellent bargains in PCIx sound cards and dsp cards as everyone upgrades to the latest and greatest ( read super pricey) stuff.

I use a Motu 2408 which uses a PCI interface but PCIx cards are available, I have 3 Powercore DSP cards in the 3 PCIx slots.

Also look into sonic core PCIx cards, stupidly powerful and can be bought for a pittance, up to 3 per system and up to 45 DSPs.

Here is an Italian site that seems to have the largest selection of Sonic core Pulsar cards on the internet, I have bought 2 cards from people here with absolutely no problems, don't know why but this site is where people go to sell them, I have 3 cards, 21 DSPs in an old XP dual XEON server that I bought specifically to run them for 60 quid.

CREAMWARE in Home & Studio Recording - Mercatino Musicale

These cards are still FULLY supported today and with Scope 6 will run in a windows 10 evironment.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  4. ska invita

sorted, thanks for the clarification

5. ska invita

The more i think about it the more i hope this laptop+ focusrite option works - if at home can plug into a big monitor, but gives the opportunity to travel and record with it too. Not that Ive ever done that, but you never know! Just need a little 1 octave keyboard too

6. Magnus McGinty

Magnus McGinty Wh♂️

Oxygen25 is about £60. You’ll soon have an identical setup to me. :D

ska invita likes this.
  7. ska invita

too much time on urban :(

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Magnus McGinty likes this.
  8. cypher79

cypher79 Well-Known Member

Deffo get an SSD if you haven't got one already, made a massive difference for me when I was making tunes on a pc.

9. ska invita

Whats the difference you've experienced? My understanding is they fail less often (and ive had a few old hardrives fail on me) so it does appeal.

My new insurance-money laptop has an SSD drive but Im worried it wont have enough space for long - music projects get big quickly....if i were to get an external SSD drive that might slow performance down no? The laptop has USB 3 ports on it.

Also re monitor it has VGA in and something called a DVI-D port, so it would have to be HDMI laptop out to one of those... should be okay right?
    DVI-D 24+1pin Male to HDMI Digital Cable Lead GOLD 2m | eBay
    (eTA I've bought one, £2 worth a shot)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  10. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

DVI to HDMI should be fine.

For security of you data it's not wise to rely on one of any kind of drive. If projects get big quickly, then could you work on the internal SSD and use external conventional drives for storage, as the price per GB is much better.

ska invita likes this.
  11. ska invita

yes good advice :thumbs:
    thanks all - this has been a really useful thread for me

elbows likes this.
  12. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

yes, for hard drives go for ssd types, rather than the cheaper older types, go for half a terabyte if you can afford it, mind.... external half a TB shouldn't be that expensive, maybe £150ish

13. moody

moody Being alive increases risk of death.

even cheaper than a kitted out- high-spec lappy, you could for the same money or less, buy a tower pc, it would havr much superior spec.

I run all my important stuff on my imac, i use it for most stuff, I have ableton on here too, when i brought it the licensee enabled me to install it both my machines, therefore I only use my sony lappy for gigs.

14. cypher79

cypher79 Well-Known Member

The difference for me, was the speed that everything loads. The HHD I had previously was sluggish to load up samples and synths...etc, really annoying when you're working on a tune. With the SSD, everything just loads immediately.

15. xenon

xenon Carne Por la Machina

Generally you'd want your OS and samples on one or more disks. Your recording area on another. As I say, you don't need an SSD for the latter. But you don't want loading samples, OS operations, interfearing with streaming audio to and from disk. An external HD on USB3 should be fine.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.