1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attendances....

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Jamie Wyatt, May 5, 2014.

1. dcdulwich

dcdulwich Well-Known Member

Yep 1073 vs Maidstone in 2013. Seemed absolutely massive at the time and was only topped once that season - our final game vs Burgess Hill Town (1137).

That single crowd meant that our average midweek gate that season was actually higher than for Sat/BH:
    560 (midweek) vs 474 (Sat/BH)

If you take that outlier out, the differential was still a lot less marked than now:
    389 (midweek) vs 474 (Sat/BH)

Current figures for this season:
    Overall: 1467
    Sat/BH: 1798
    Midweek: 803 (606 without tonight)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. dcdulwich

I would suggest at least 50 years.

Attendance stats were patchy until, for us, 1988/89, but there was a league match at Champion Hill on Tuesday 3rd October 1967 vs St Albans with a quoted crowd of 600 - we lost 3-2 btw. Kick-off is given on the Saints archive as 3pm (but not sure about that as the floodlights had been installed 3 years earlier).

From the figures that are available, it would be hard to imagine that being doubled at any time since.

Sources:
    St Albans City F.C. Statistics
    The Official Isthmian League Historical Website - Your one stop resource

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  3. Lucy Fur

Lucy Fur Well-Known Member

Will Magee was the name of the journalist I was talking about, did the I paper article on Eastbourne.

Fingers likes this.
  4. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

"gates that had been around the 800 mark at the end of last season (1963-64) had dropped back to 200"

dulwich hamlet fc court s-l1600 (1).jpg

editor likes this.
  5. PartisanDulwich

PartisanDulwich Well-Known Member

FA Cup attendances

Dulwich Hamlet V Gravesend & Northfleet third qualifying round replay (lost 0-1) Tuesday 24 October 1978 (thanks Mishi for update)
    attendance (quote from programme) near 1,200

FA Cup first qualifying round Wednesday afternoon (4:30pm) September 1954 V Canterbury
    attendance 2,700

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. dcdulwich

Just been doing some numbers ahead of the Council Assembly tonight.

Our average league gate in Gavin’s first season (2009/10) was 172. So far this season we are at 1503.

That’s getting on for a nine-fold increase (8.74x) in eight years. Extraordinary.

7. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

That Gravesend replay was Tuesday 24th October. Bloody ruined my eleventh birthday! Grr! Hated them for years, but have 'mellowed; in old age...

PartisanDulwich likes this.
  8. pinknblue

pinknblue Active Member

I remember that Gravesend game. Tony Davies, our goalkeeper - who had looked a top keeper until that game - let a shot into the top corner slip through his grasp when it looked as if he'd initially made a good save. I think it must have really knocked his confidence because he was never quite the same after that.

9. Dulwich Mishi

Dulwich Mishi Old Skool Terrace Dinosaur-embracing the new-veau!

He ended up being known as ''Tubbie' Davies.

10. dcdulwich

Crowd of 599 at Enfield Town today - comfortably beating their season’s best of 514 in the league.

Great turnout of Hamlet fans. Pity about the shitty result.