Atos Medicals - Questions, Answers and Support

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Zabo, Jan 12, 2012.

1. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

The Victoria Derbyshire radio programme is looking at disability assessments today, and why they're unfair.

Having looked at the article about it on the BBC website, I'm not convinced it will be news to anyone on this thread - the article contains a number of inaccuracies around recordings, including 'exceptionally, the tribunal allowed a transcript of a covert recording to be used' - however at least it brings the topic into mainstream news.

2. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

Any of this sort of thing is good, as it counters the official narrative (ooh, where's me tinfoil hat?) that says it's all about the government helping people into work, etc., blah.

3. equationgirl

I just wish they'd done a better job on the research. Lots of the facts were iffy.

4. doodlelogic

doodlelogic arbitrary message here

Good clip

friendofdorothy likes this.
  5. equationgirl

Unfortunately, does this not alert the assessors to covert recordings?

6. existentialist

existentialist Running out of ways it could get worse

I would guess that the particular circles of hell in which these assessor types and their managers gather were already abuzz with talk about covert recordings. Since DWP seems to be relying on threats and fear to prevent people standing up for their rights, though, I imagine that someone's probably issued an edict saying that they mustn't search people for devices, etc.

Probably all they could do would be to ask the claimant if they're recording the assessment, but there would be nothing that they could do if the client denied it.

friendofdorothy and equationgirl like this.
  7. chainsawjob

chainsawjob Cautiously impulsive

8. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

If the wankers played fair there would be no need for secret recordings. :mad:

I've sent in a request for a 'statement of reasons' and a copy of the notes from my tribunal. I've apologised at the end of the letter in case it's late (I don't think it is) as the stress of the tribunal has caused my chronic fatigue to flare up and I've not been able to anything more that eat and sleep for the last fortnight. Sounds like grounds for an assault charge to me. :D

9. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Reasonable eventual success story. Relative of mine who has schizophrenia was on dla middle care lower mobility. Went to assessment & got pips at standard rate & no mobility so a cut of £22 pw. Ended up at appeal & award was pips enhanced rate & lower rate mobility so an increase of about £22 a week from their dla payments. It does seem that the assessment means nothing & sole aim is to cut claimant's payment whatever.

Ironically had the pips award been at enhanced rate in the first place with no mobility award then it would have been same as their dla payment so they would have been happy with that but because they were cut down we appealed & ended up with a higher payment.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Puddy_Tat, Jackobi, Pac man and 4 others like this.
  10. equationgirl

So many people think the system will treat them fairly, WouldBe and it should be, after all, it should be looking after and protecting them. Not throwing them to the wolves or stressing them beyond endurance.

Pac man, Libertad and WouldBe like this.
  11. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Thank you. My brother had his assessment yesterday. I managed to get two tape recorders from ebay. Despite us calling the dwp, they did not have it down as being recorded. But the assessor said he was fine with it.
    My brother had a home visit. He said the assessor was fairly pleasant. But as we all know. That counts for nothing.

12. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

I saw the other day on the Benefits and works site that Frank Fields(?) MP is chairing a committee looking into the cockups of the DLA to PIP transfer and is wanting to hear from claimants who have gone through the process. :)

13. equationgirl

I hope you will be contacting them :)

chainsawjob likes this.
  14. Pac man

Pac man Well-Known Member

Thats got to be a good thing..I watched the select committees investigation into Philip green et al, which Field chaired and he came across as a really fair, nice guy.

friendofdorothy and chainsawjob like this.
  15. chainsawjob

I might contact them myself. To point out the inflexibility in the system. And how ridiculous it is they're taking me to tribunal because I failed to go to the assessment due to legitimate health reasons that I'd already told them about on my PIP form. The money wasted on hoop-jumping, and the interminable process that makes claiming benefits as difficult as possible, is scandalous. And wrong.

16. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

Too right I will and so should anyone else who has been through this farce. :mad:

17. chainsawjob

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  18. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

I've just heard from the tribunals service. My appeal is in about 3 weeks time. I feel really sick.

19. equationgirl

It's OK, try not to worry, we're here. Can someone go with you,?

20. BCBlues

BCBlues Lend us a Twenner

The actual tribunal itself in my own experience is always like "wow someone is actually listening " so like equationgirl says try not to worry, try get someone to go along with you. You've worked hard to get this far don't let the buggers get you down now.

21. chainsawjob

Sympathies and solidarity fishfinger, horrible having to wait it out now you've got the date, following on from all the waiting it out you've already had to do. But yeah, vent here... and hopefully fingerscrossed it will be as BCBlues says. And I second don't let the buggers grind you down, you're not alone in that boat :rolleyes:

22. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

It's nice when that happens. I've had 3 tribunals so far and 2 of them were the complete opposite. :mad:

fishfinger Hope you have a good one and it goes your way.

BCBlues, pogo 10 and fishfinger like this.
  23. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Thanks. My wife will be coming with me.

24. pogo 10

pogo 10 Well-Known Member

Good luck fishfinger.

fishfinger likes this.
  25. spirals

spirals Something uber witty here.

I have got my f2f home assessment for PIP in 30 mins :( I don't want the treacherous non trustworthy tossers in my home :( I didn't even ask for a home assessment :(

26. fishfinger

fishfinger تپلی

Libertad, spirals and pogo 10 like this.
  27. pogo 10

pogo 10 Well-Known Member

Good luck, deep breaths.

spirals likes this.
  28. chainsawjob

spirals likes this.
  29. spirals

spirals Something uber witty here.

The assessor was quite nice, she said she couldn't understand why she was here only a year after my last assessment but I guess we will see what happens...

30. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Good luck spirals and fishfinger

fishfinger, equationgirl and spirals like this.