"Assaulted" girl hanging by the cash machine at Tesco

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by T & P, Nov 16, 2005.

1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I meant to post this last night but didn't have a chance at the end.

Yesterday evening I went into Tesco (yeah I now...) and on my way out I took out some cash from the cash machine kiosk just outside the entrance. As I put my card in a woman approached me. I heard the expected "excuse me" and prepared to hear the subsequent "can you help, I'm so and so".

Only she said "I've been assaulted and robbed and need money for a travelcard". I looked up and saw she had dried blood over her nose (or what looked like dried blood anyway- it was smeared over the nose rather than coming from inside it) and one of her hands was very dirty and had a bit of what looked like dried blood as well.

My instant reaction was to ask 'are you alright' and she said yes but she needed to get home and could she have some money. I immediately reached in my pocket and gave her all the loose change I had- about £1.70 or so. She took it but didn't even look at it and was clearly after a banknote. "I need at least £4.40 please, I'll give you my name and address". At that juncture I felt really bad but my gut feeling told me something was quite not right so I told her the money I was taking out was not mine, (which happened to be the truth anyway, and in any case I could not afford to hand out £10 at the moment) and that loose change is all I could afford. She then become rather insistent that I gave her more money please, at which point I said 'I'm sorry I can't' and walked off.

As I walked to the bike I was a bit shaken and feeling like a right bastard. Had I just rejected to help someone who had just been beaten and mugged? But then as I rode past on my way out I saw her patiently hanging by the cash machine again, and not looking in any kind of distress. When I told my girlfriend of the incident she said she's seen a woman who fits her description- mid 20s, slightly 'hippy looking' clothes- doing a similar thing at the Barclays cash machine in the past.

I'm now 95% sure she just told me a fancy story and that she was just a con artist, but I still feel really bad that I might have refused help to a genuine victim. Then again I should have thought more clearly and offer to walk her inside and ask the security guards to call the police. Surely someone who's been beaten and mugged would be calling an ambulance or the police rather than hanging around by cash machines in a supermarket?

If she's indeed a con artist I don't particularly mind losing some loose change to her, but I'd fucking hate being manipulated like that and handing over a tenner- of which I wouldn't have expected to ask change back from the £4.40 or so she needed to be honest- and then feel like a muppet for months afterwards. And yet I can't stop thinking she might have been genuine after all- though the more I think of it the unlikely it appears.

2. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

That definitely sounds like a scam, yeah; quite apart from the "didn't you call the police? what are you still doing here?" aspect, the insisting on more money is very suspect.

Not a nice decision to make though, you do always think "but what if...".

3. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

You got it.

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

5. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

met her before same story something like blood on her hand and needing 4.40 for the tube

aparently the police don't give you a ride home when you've been mugged because you havn't got id .... it's a scam that being said she looked compleatly fucked up so i gave her summin like £2

6. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

Blonde hair? Thin? Very grubby?

If so, she is a junkie and real pest. She really hassles people and has always got some kind of scam going on. I noticed recently that she had what looked like some kind of scab on her nose. She may very well have been assaulted at some point but if it was her, she was using it to get scag money. The weirdest line she used on me was "Can you spare some money -- I'm not homeless!" She definitely does the old "I need money to get home" line on people.

Call me cold-hearted if you like but she is always hanging around my block/street/neighbourhood and she is a pain in the butt. Like you say, it's not about making an informed choice as to whether to give someone moeny they may wellspend on drugs. It's being scammed -- or people trying to scam you -- that is fucking annoying.

7. brix

brix spinster of this parish

The same girl, I'm sure, approached me outside the tube station months ago. She had some dried blood on her and told me that she'd been assaulted and needed money to get home. Again, I felt that something wasn't right and I said no. Afterwards I felt awful about saying no. Then, about a week later, the same girl (obviously not recognising me) gave me the same spiel about having been assaulted and needing to get home. I gave her a right mouthful.

8. IntoStella

IntoStella Banned Banned

I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same person here.

9. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

thats the one i think she had a hood on at the time so i can't be certian of the hair but yeah to the genral description and MO

don't see her that much though is she fairly new?

10. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Yes that sounds like her. Couldn't tell her hair colour for sure as she was wearing some kind of hat, but she was thin and scrubby for sure.

I feel a bit better about walking away now. As it happens I don't mind if someone with a drug addition uses my money for a fix, or whatever they want- but I hate being put into the position I was put.

11. Thora_v1

Thora_v1 Banned Banned

Where I used to live there was often a junkie begging for money - his line was "can you give me a tenner so I can buy some smack please". I admired his honesty (but never gave him a tenner).

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

I've seen her before - she's very good and quite affecting the first time you see her - I've seen her do a similar thing on the tube too - making a speech in a tiny frightened tearful voice and making people feel terribly guilty. I guess that's one good thing about it, cos she does prick people's consciousness whether she is scamming or not

13. joffy

joffy Well-Known Member

She's tried the same story on me 3 times between the tube and the ritzy, once in tesco's car park and once at Victoria station, never recognizing me!! i fell for it the first time (about two years ago). Pretend not to see her when she tries now.

14. kea

kea Banned Banned

we had a very similar-sounding woman around when i lived in camden. about once every 3 months she'd ring our doorbell and when we came to answer it, gave it the whole 'sick child in hospital, need to get there' routine. she'd never remember she'd done us before and we never pointed it out, just said firmly 'no, sorry, we don't have any cash in the house'. i think she did it pretty regularly to all the neighbours too ...
    it would have been scary if she wasn't so tiny and pathetically grubby-looking :(

15. brix

brix spinster of this parish

I guess that's one good thing about it, cos she does prick people's consciousness whether she is scamming or not[/QUOTE]

You're not serious? If anyone else tries this routine on me I will now automatically assume that it's a scam. And they might be for real! This woman is crying wolf and making us all less likely to help someone genuinely in need!

16. Orang Utan

I suppose so - I guess I was thinking of those awfully uncomfortable expressions commuters have on their faces when listening to a sob story on the tube. It gives me a perverse thrill for some reason

17. richtea

richtea Well-Known Member

sounds like girl i saw nr tube ages ago - gave her some money, wasn't til i got home that i thought it were dodgy. mug :rolleyes: she was very convincing though.

18. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I've met her before as well... same story and she did look like she'd been beaten up - but after being scammed in Brixton several times before I knew she was on the make. I gave her all I had.. about 20p and she asked "Can't you give me a bit more?"

19. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

i saw a bloke in hackney a few years ago with a similar tale of woe, claimed he had to get to a hospital in newham to see his daugher and and needed a tenner for the taxi, he asked me at two different places, and asked mrs21, finally struck gold with my sister and her boyfriend, they gave him a tenner, he said they could call at an address in their street,to get the tenner back, which they did, that evening, to discover they had been had...

20. Orang Utan

Anyone had the 'just got out of prison' story coupled with vaguely threatening behaviour? They say if they don't get the money they'll have to fuck someone up and then look at you - like a sort of half-arsed attempted mugging

21. RushcroftRoader

RushcroftRoader Well-Known Member

yeah, I have been approached by that one. I genuinely didn;t have any change on me. Went past the TUbe later that night and she tried a differnet tale on me.
    Scam

22. Isambard

Isambard Dab of Rioja, Kitten? :D

It's the repeated bullshit and in this case the insistence on £4.50 that get to me. Just ask for any spare change eh?

23. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I had a similar story at Waterloo.. man needing money for a taxi to see his wife in hospital.

Also had the man knocking on my front door needed £4 to get some part for his car at the garage down the road - he'd bring it straight back of course.

Also the woman whose gas had run out and she needed £5 to buy a new gas card and her baby was at home without heating (this was in winter).

24. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

yup i seen her. really grubby

i thought the blood on her arms/hands might have been from jacking up, hadnt heard the scam side of it.

doesnt suprise me, you know full well where the money is likely to be going, straight back into the local 'economy'.

theres a guy who begs on the overground train quite often who is in a similar state

25. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

LUL always used to provide tickets for people who had been genuine victims of crime, like everyone else it sounds as if this is a scam.

26. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Gawd, too many of these stories and characters sound too familiar. If you're not bumping into them in the streets, they're knocking on the door.

Only one scammer's really got money out of me. A 13 year old(ish) 'normal teen' girl came knocking on my door distraught, claiming that she had been locked out of her parents' house (a neighbour apparently) and first asked to use our phone to see if she could call her mum. She got an answerphone, followed by her looking even more distressed, then asking if she could borrow some money to get to her aunt's by taxi. I felt so sorry for her at the time that I ended up giving her a fiver.

Better half of me was screaming out that I was being scammed, but she was seriously convincing for someone so young. Beware...

27. Cadmus

Cadmus SINsational

Considering how many people have seen the same person, i believe she needs a name now.

Suggestions?

28. WasGeri

WasGeri Banned Banned

I know it's really bad but you do get cynical after a while. Last time I fell for the old 'Do you have any spare change, we need some money for whatever' I got my purse out and the bastard just grabbed it and took all the money.

I will not give money to anyone who approaches me - it's different if they are sitting on the ground and I can give them whatever I want to, but you can't risk getting your cash out in front of them when you are at a disadvantage.

29. silentNate

silentNate 1.618 xakep

Dunno her name but she hangs round the night buses on Friday night around Trafalger Sq. :(

30. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

When I lived in Mile End a young kid came up to me all disstressed putting on a really good act saying that his mum was in trouble and he needed 20p for the phone. Of course I cave him the 20p and he stopped crying and ran off only stoppng to turn to me and shout 'i'm not really going to use the phone, I'm going to spend it on sweets'. I thought 'so what, that's 20p big shot.'

Ha you can only get about 10 mojos for that these days., he has no chance of getting a real chocolate bar or anything.