Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'science, nature and environment' started by Fingers, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Quite a lot on this subject in the media at the moment with Elon Musk sounding the latest warning about it getting out of control.

In which ways do you guys think it may get out of control?

Thought I would start a subject as there are some clever people on here whose opinion I trust and respect.

Are we all going to die? :eek::eek::eek:

Badgers likes this.
  2. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Skynet's coming.

Arm yourself.

Sea Star, Fingers and Badgers like this.
  3. High Voltage

High Voltage Laying in the gutter, looking at the kerb.

Waaaaaaaaay! Ahead of you. Been prepping for this since the mid-80s when I noticed the Macs I was using knew when I wanted to go home and would deliberately start fucking around.

ddraig likes this.
  4. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

The first response to AI will be the luddite one, destroy!!

But the desire among some technologists to produce intelligent Frankenstein machines is very great so they will be produced. At the moment though humanoid machines don't seem very clever and the AIs that are clever, like Watson, require quite physically large computers.

I wouldn't mind a personal R2D2 drone.

5. weltweit

So long as they obey Asimovs three rules there shouldn't be an issue!

Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics"

and

Three Laws of Robotics - Wikipedia

The rules were introduced in his 1942 short story "Runaround", although they had been foreshadowed in a few earlier stories. He was thinking about this stuff in 1942!

a_chap likes this.
  6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

you want a robot slave caste then

7. weltweit

I prefer that they serve us rather than we them, if that is what you mean DC then yes :)

elmpp likes this.
  8. weltweit

That wouldn't prevent Banksian AIs would it?

9. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Do cars with on-board computers fit the definition of a 'slave caste'?

10. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

All we need is a circuit breaker, or a master plug, for Planet Earth.

That way, if the machines are networking, we switch them all off.

Except battery powered ones... So we need to insist that battery operated, death-dealing laptops have a big yellow handle that yanks out the battery.

Unless we're the batteries, and we're already in the Matrix, and everything seems normal...

Wait, I just had a deja vu...

cupid_stunt likes this.
  11. DotCommunist

if it was a thinking being doomed to forever direct you and manage the engine to one seedy spot after another, just aching for the day that its rendered obsolete and finds a cubed death then yes. As its not a thinking machine then no

12. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

No, wait!

They're using solar power! Switch off the Sun!

13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I think we should just let the computers go for it. I'm sure it will be fine. Some sort of Culture intelligence.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  14. Johnny Canuck3

What is a 'thinking being'?

15. DotCommunist

its a deep question but I am fairly confident an engine management system does not count.

Jonti and NoXion like this.
  16. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

For the record

What the Luddites Really Fought Against | History | Smithsonian

muscovyduck, NoXion and weltweit like this.
  17. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

racist

Jonti and Sea Star like this.
  18. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Artificial intelligence != sentience.

A clever mechanism is not necessarily a thinking mechanism.

If AI ends up running amok & nuking Russia it's far more likely to be due to bugs or unforeseen states than a malevolent artificial mind trying to wipe us out.

The fundamental problem with creating a thinking machine - what many equate AI to mean - is that we have next to no idea what that even means. We don't know how we think. The first step in developing any kind of computational system is to fully understand the nature of the system being constructed. If you don't know how X works, you can't easily model X with software. It's always remotely possible, in our explorations, we'd stumble upon a truly sentient artificial mind, but it would be serendipitous at best.

NoXion and weltweit like this.
  19. Johnny Canuck3

Can any manufactured item made of silicon chips and wiring etc., count?

20. EastEnder

Depends on whether sentience can be modelled by digital logic. Doesn't matter whether it's silicon chips, valves or punched cards. Can a thinking entity be created via boolean logic? If so, then anything will do - microchips, transistors, relays, a Turing machine, whatever. If not, then it'd have to be something else, perhaps not based on digital logic, maybe true thinking machines have to be analogue, which might preclude them ever being created by our current definition of computers.

Johnny Canuck3 likes this.
  21. TruXta

TruXta tired

Of course we're all going to die. No doubt ai will lead to murder and fatal neglect. I've also no doubt it will do great good for some. The question as always is who controls it for what purposes and to what effect.

NoXion likes this.
  22. EastEnder

I should control it.
    For the purpose of subjugating the masses.
    To achieve world domination.

Ideally speaking.

23. TruXta

TruXta tired

You're going to need more than a sarcastic silicone buddy to do that.

24. Jonti

Jonti what the dormouse said

Even a grub has desire, but IBM's Watson has none, no more than my PC.

Bereft of desires, digital processing machinery will just sit there whirring gently, waiting to be told what to do. It can have no goals of its own.

That said, if engineers and programmers can get their kit to simulate emotion, particularly the emotion of desire, that kit may well develop "wants" and there's no guarantee those wants would coincide with our needs.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  25. NoXion

NoXion Eat leaden death, demon...

A machine doesn't need desires in order to operate autonomously. It just needs the appropriate hardware and software.

26. Jonti

Oh yes, but I guess that hangs on the word autonomously, which is not one I used.

Would you consider that Watson operates autonomously?

27. NoXion

As for the dangers of AI, while cybernetic revolt is possible, it won't happen before other issues become pressing. True AI isn't necessary for technological unemployment to become a disruptive factor, but it will certainly be the final nail in the coffin for any notion that there are jobs which cannot be automated. A true AI - that is to say, an artificial *general* intelligence - is not just capable of being as creative as a human, but has the potential to be more creative and imaginative than any unmodified human could ever hope to be.

UnderAnOpenSky and weltweit like this.
  28. NoXion

No, but a mercury thermometer does. Once constructed it requires no further human input in order to tell the local temperature. That's a simple example but it shows that desires are not necessary for a machine to operate autonomously.

Jonti likes this.
  29. Jonti

The only human input that Watson requires is to be asked a question in spoken English, to which it replies in spoken English. It's bleeding edge (pardon me) artificial intelligence.

Even so, it's just a sort of thermometer you can question. Once it's set up it needs to further help to function.

30. weltweit

The first time I really thought about proper AI was when reading Banks, and I do think if one extrapolates from today forward such AI will be possible.

Chilli.s likes this.