1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arsenal: WENGER - time to sack him?

Discussion in 'football' started by twentythreedom, May 22, 2011.

?

Should Wenger Go?

1. Yes, Wenger must go

13.3%
  2. No, Wenger must stay

43.4%
  3. Not sure, hmmm

7.2%
  4. Don't give a fuck either way

36.1%
  1. iROBOT

iROBOT CURRENTLY RE-BOOTING

Chesney's our No1 (seriously)..

2. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

he needs to go out on loan to qpr or someone equivalent for a season or three, no where near ready for champions league/title contenders

dave

3. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

But are they really good enough?

Benzema has potential but hasn't fulfilled it and looks increasingly like a player who never will.

Alvarez is a talented but untested Argie - another stab in the dark really.

And Samba is Samba. He might be useful in tough midwinter PL games but isn't going to cut the mustard in the CL.

In sum, those aren't 3 or 4 top players.

The point is that as much as we might demand them, the supply just isn't there.

4. kained&able

cahill is more then capable, samba maybe not but if he is 3rd/4th choice then i reckon he will be fine, much better then squellacci anyway!

If anyone can get the best out of benzema it will be wenger. Not sure ive seen alvarez play to be honest.

dave

5. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

Cant see him buying Benzema tbh,Samba would be a good buy,big strong and built like a brick shithouse,give opposing forwards plenty to think about,the one thing you can critise Wenger about is not reckonising our weakness over the last few seasons,after Mad Jens retired,Wenger arsed and farted about with the goalkeeping situation,shoulda went out and bought a top class goalie instead of persisting with Al Mooney,and he never replaced Sol at the back either,fucked about with the likes of Sendoros and United cast off Silvestre.Even a blind man could see where our weaknesses have been for the last few seasons,let's hope Wenger has finally cottoned on.

6. hektik

hektik adhering to a paradigm

not time to sack wenger - who would we get to replace him, for starters? It's not as though there are a surplus of top managers out there. The same for players that we may or may not bring in: there are not enough amazing players out there to be able to bring in - at least not without spunking some serious serious cash on them - we simply can't compete with the likes of chelsea, city or barca/madrid for those players.

This is a crunch season though - if he doesn't buy the right players to fill the obvious gaps in the squad (which we have said for the last 3 years), then we will be struggling to qualify for the CL next year. the collapse of the team over the last 3 months has been PAINFUL. i think that he has put his trust in the youth team, but I also think that the strategy has been pushed on him because of our financial constraints elsewhere. Now that we have a change in owner, and apparently more money and less debts, he has to prove that he can get the right players and improve the squad.

He also has to improve the results, and the fight of the team. My greatest worry is that he no longer commands their respect/cannot get them motivated to play the way that they can fulfil their potential.

if there is a significant outlay of money, but no improvement next season, then we should say "thanks, but farewell".

7. K1ck3m0n

K1ck3m0n Member

Chesney is definitely No.1, and will remain so. Bob Wilson's tipped him to be the keeper of his generation, best youngster he's seen in a long time. And I like him, he's got real presence and attitude, and is very vocal. Bring in an aging keeper to bring him on, Given would be ideal, but keep Chezzers as our No. 1.

As for sacking Wenger......ludicrous. Baffles me that any Arsenal fan could suggest that. We owe that man everything we are today.

Totally agree with the above poster who said it's all about mental strength and grit. Spot on. Even SAF admitted "Arsenal have better footballers, but we're a better team". Not sure how we achieve that, but a few adjustments to the squad, some steel and we could be there imho

8. Van Gaal or Hiddink. Van Gaal is actually available now, even though he took Bayern to the CL final just last year. His teams play good football and he oversaw a period at Ajax where a lot of talented youngsters grew to maturity and went on to be world class players. Outside of that, Owen Coyle maybe?

9. strung out

strung out (",)

sam allardyce is available

10. kained&able

yep sack wenger and get sam alladyce in. do it quickly before he gets back from his holiday.

please.

dave

11. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

It IS about why a few seasons trophyless should be a crisis for us, so why aren't your longer droughts/relegation battles even more of a crisis?

12. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

So did Meteja Kezman and we all know how that went...

But he does look promising, whether he'll make the step is the Q. Asssume he'd get a run out starting in the Carling to get competitve games under his belt.

13. iROBOT

iROBOT CURRENTLY RE-BOOTING

....and a thousand others (no doubt).

We need to get him a work permit first. He's been refused once already. Unless the Japanese put him in the national team soon, he's going back out on loan.

14. bigbry

bigbry Well-Known Member R.I.P.

I keep hearing this claim about Arsenal having to walk the ball into the net. Season 2009-2010 (the season before the last one) Arsenal scored more goals from outside the penalty area (according to Opta statistics) than any other team in the Premier League.

15. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

should get one now, after one year in EU

16. twentythreedom

twentythreedom COG SOG AWA TWA AWS TWS VMG

Ah, fuck it. This thread's been threatening to rear its ugly head for a while, and now finally it's back.

Old Trafford this weekend too ....

If we end the season with sweet FA again: WENGER OUT!

17. twentythreedom

OK so unless we win the CL it'll be another season of winning fuck all. What was AW doing today? His selection and subbing was ridiculous. How did he manage to fuck it up so badly?

WENGER OUT!

18. twentythreedom

AAAAARGH!!! Bayern 3 Arsenal 1

Tick, tick, tick....

19. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Benitez should be free in a few months.

shagnasty, friedaweed and scalyboy like this.
  20. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

Did you expect Arsenal to beat Bayern considering Bayern's recent form?

21. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

They are arsenal fans they don't like to see the real world

22. deadringer

deadringer meat pie sausage roll

Give him the 2 year contract extension I say.........

23. aylee

aylee In exile in Haringay

Wenger deserves enormous admiration for having almost single-handedly dragged English football into the 21st century with his meticulous methods, including attention to players' diets and lifestyles etc.

But his recent transfer market dealings have been indifferent at best and he still seems to be obsessed with the idea of assembling winning teams for peanuts. Other clubs have caught up in terms of their scouting networks and the expensive players that he has bought recently have not delivered value for money (Giroud and Podolski most recently). It's not clear to me whether the failure to compete with Arsenal's rivals in terms of money spent is a policy of the board or Wenger or both, but he hasn't spent the money that he has laid out wisely at all.

He seems tired and devoid of ideas, certainly this season.

24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

fuck off you dull twat. only a spurs fan would suggest changuing the arsenal manager part way through the season: and there's still a champions league spot for next year to play for. why would you chuck him now when you've not suggested a replacement and in the summer more managers will be available. and do you want another interim season like we had with bruce rioch?

25. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

No, Wenger shouldn't go. He's being stitched up by the board. I've never liked that Hill-Wood cunt. And he seems to be the one controlling now David Dein has gone. And the reason Dein went is because he knew that Arsenal had to start spending big to compete. He knew that the awesome team they had would only last another couple of years.

I'm not in favour of an Abramovich style club, but it's painfully evident we need to invest in the squad.

I posted this on the Arsenal thread this morning

Pickman's model likes this.
  26. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Get Di Matteo in

27. twentythreedom

To make it clear, I don't think Wenger should be booted out right now, but something major needs to change. Just playing Devil's advocate really. We need to spend big for starters.... The board are being dicks too like Tits says.

Wenger seems to be losing it bit by bit though. Shame we couldn't have got Guardiola!

Pickman's - go choke on a dick ;)

28. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

:rolleyes:

29. C Kelly

C Kelly New Member

he's done a lot for Arsenal FC and people are too quick to forget that....

30. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Song and Sable

the club is stable, generates a decent turnover and has a good go at the chumps league every year. Its paying off its debts and isnt being swallowed by the agents and hangers on that seem to infest the other clubs.

I have no feelings either way about arsenal, but from a business perspective, I would go for consistancy and survival rather than the boom and bust culture of many of its fellow travellers.

Big Gunz likes this.