1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arsenal: WENGER - time to sack him?

Discussion in 'football' started by twentythreedom, May 22, 2011.

?

Should Wenger Go?

1. Yes, Wenger must go

13.3%
  2. No, Wenger must stay

43.4%
  3. Not sure, hmmm

7.2%
  4. Don't give a fuck either way

36.1%
  1. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

i wonder if west ham could get gomes to replace green when he leaves...

2. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

i reckon swap deal for green.

dave

3. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

F'gawd sake don't sack Le Prof; he's still the best, and he's still done miracles on building that squad out of not very much. However, now Is the time fopr a change of tack; he should spend c.£50m this year on a keeper, a DM, abox-to-box, and either a atriker - or move Theo to where he should be anyway, and buy a winger. Equally, he should sell denilson, squillaci and Rosicky (not gonna make it, never good enough and past his sell-by, respectively), plus arsh if the right deal can be had - and make it crystal-clear to vela, bendy and diaby that it's this season or never for them.
    Also, the succession; time to lure bergy back from ajax,and groom him to step up

4. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Of course he should go - it’s a ludicrous record given the outlay on wages, but the longer they believe the better, and more amusing, it is for everyone else.

5. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

I used to have a grudging admiration for him but 6 years of bugger all isn't bad luck, lack of funds or anything else other than not being that great anymore (for whatever reason). The pathetic whinging and hypocritical statements have also really run there course now as well.

Please keep him, 6 more years of bugger all please Arsene...

6. iROBOT

iROBOT CURRENTLY RE-BOOTING

But in those six fallow years we still end up with more points then you.

Do you remember how good it felt to qualify for the Champs League last year? (i know you do)...We've done that every year of Wengers time with us.

7. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

Do you remember the feeling of being a 'top four' team who actually won anything? The other 3 teams do.

Im not really knocking Wenger but something needs to be done, you need to win something, or change something.

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

there are thirteen year olds who can remember arsenal last winning the league. how old would you have to be to remember spurs winning it?

9. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

Its not about Spurs though is it?

10. iROBOT

Nothing needs to be done other then strengthen in a few key areas.

I dont think there's a single manager in the world that could have coped with a stadium change and subsequent squeeze on the finances and still keep us amongst the top ten seeds in Europe.

Our time will come.

11. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

no. i'm just pointing out that if you want decades of bugger all, spurs fans know all about it. if on the other hand you're a club in the top four listening to advice from spurs supporters would be stupid.

12. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

If he does not get ambitious in the transfer market this summer and maintains his current policy, I really cannot see him in the job after next season. A bloody shame as we have all seen what he can do with players of a high calibre.

13. iROBOT

Most of those high calibre players you mentioned became that at Arsenal, I can only think of Bergkamph over the past twenty years that came with any reputation (maybe Overmars too). The rest we made great.

14. TitanSound

Oh for sure, under Wenger's guidance they blossomed. But they were already established players with experience. We have very exciting prospects in our team but as has been shown, they tend to fall apart under pressure or make silly mistakes.

15. iROBOT

Henry wasnt and was a winger when we got him. Pires was washed up, Freddy noone had heard of. Paddy was 18/19, Anelka was 15-18 Fabrigas was 16 when he came to us. The list goes on.

We made them.

16. TitanSound

Yeah but back then we did not have Chelsea and Man City's mega rich owners to contend with ;)

17. iROBOT

True. This is why Benzema would be a great purchase. Him and RvP would be a formidable together.

I do think it's time to splash the cash because of those extra pressures from the minted clubs.

18. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

I haven't offered anyone any advice?

I know a thing or two about football and I know that the point of playing the game is to win. By your own standards you need to win something and the fact you haven't done so in 6 seasons shows there is a problem.

You can deny it, hide from it and refuse to acknowledge it all you like but Arsenal have a problem and its Arsenes role within the club and responsibility to solve it.

19. chieftain

chieftain Mega Gammon

Agreed but only when RVP is fit, which he wasn't very often last season which could be a problem...

20. TitanSound

Just looked him up on Youtube. I must admit apart from our own players and ones I see playing against us, I know fuck all about anyone else. He looks tasty though. Not afraid to shoot from long range, something we seem to have forgotten how to do recently!

21. iROBOT

Apparently RvP's scored 18 goals in 2011, this is a record he shares with Henry and Ronaldo. If we can keep him fit next season I can see him hit the 30+ goals. If Benzema is bought he can be that quality we need when RvP's not available.

22. Streathamite

All due respect, but considering our team's record since AW arrived, and Spurs over the same period, positively the last thing i'd do is go by the received wisdoms of a spud!

23. iROBOT

Henry rates him very highly, similar in style to him too.

Lots of stuff in the press about Ricky Alvarez at the moment, some say for 12 million others on a free. Whatever, he does look tasty too, would be very happy if we got this man.

24. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

Deciding to buy 3 or 4 top fully formed players is one thing, finding them is quite another.

25. Diamond

Diamond The Red Baron

Also, I like the whole Ryo Miyaichi thing - mainly because it feels like we've signed a manga comic.

26. Streathamite

absolutely. All we actually need is a mad dog DM, one - possibly two - CBs, a back-up keeper, and possibly a striker.
    but I think there's another problem; the squad's good, but it needs - every one of them - to show far more, grit, focus and solidity, every game next season. They need more steel, basically

27. iROBOT

Looking forward to seeing him in the pre season friendlies. Looks the business at Feynord, the boys got talent (for sure)

28. iROBOT

Totally agree with this, it's not ability that's the problem, it's what's in the head and too often this season that was never right.

29. Streathamite

That's another problem. benzema, alvarez, cahill/Samba -who else? (and we'd STILL need to find the DM).

30. kained&able

kained&able Here for the football.

back up keeper? all your keepers are shit(or young and inconsistent anyway). You need a number 1. You need to go out and sign hugo lloris or someone.

dave