Are you still ordering everything online?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by Tooter, Dec 2, 2019 at 11:31 AM.

1. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Whoah. I did not know this. :eek:
    I feel less silly about never doing this now.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  2. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It's shit for cars too, tbf.

3. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Ah, I remember that particular "too small for the clothes" shopping trip. :)
    Also glad I hung onto a few "fat bastard" pieces. :(

Not saying that's gonna happen to you, obvs...

4. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It's a far bigger issue in the US (where far greater distribution distances really ramp-up costs). It's rare in the UK where depots manage returns and either put them back into the regular process or dispose of them through outlets. Also, if you complain about a product to Amazon they will frequently send you a replacement and tell you to keep the old one.

5. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

Don't bother trying to make any ethical changes to your life because unless you're 100% pure in all the choices you make you're just a hypocrite and poser. Written while using an android phone made in China while I eat soup from Asda - what a cunt I am

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Bahnhof Strasse and 8ball like this.
  6. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

They pay you VAT? (I've no idea how this sort of thing works)

7. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Amazing that they can make android phones while eating soup.

8. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

From Asda as well. Think of the food miles on that.

9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

It's a service. Marty1 is obviously self employed or a company owner and VAT registered.

Marty1 and 8ball like this.
  10. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

I always figured the soup was made in China. :confused:

11. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I wouldn't go that far.

12. MrCurry

MrCurry Cooking with Swedes

So you basically get screwed at busy times like this, because they’re giving you twice as much to deliver and not paying extra for it? Sorry to hear that, they should at least pay some kind of bonus per delivery completed.

Maggot and Marty1 like this.
  13. hash tag

hash tag member

Sorry we missed you helped show that many people who "work" for the delivery companies are contractors/self employed which is one of the ways they circumvent the law.
    by meeting targets you get another shift tomorrow, that's your "bonus".
    People want stuff as cheaply as cheap can be, someone (many) pays the price for this.

Maggot and Marty1 like this.
  14. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Do many people tip?

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  15. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

What a depressing thread. All of this "if you boycott amazon but use XXX so you're a hypocrite and my moral conscience is clean" stuff particularly. All "what about-isms"... defensive shit from insecure people who know what they're doing (in buying from amazon) contributes to numerous social and environmental ills. Fuck Amazon.

Maggot and hash tag like this.
  16. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

Strawman. Premise of the thread is finger wagging.

seventh bullet and Spymaster like this.
  17. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

If that’s directed at me, fuck right off. I never said my conscience was clean or any such nonsense. But just finger wagging, where are your principles. Total lack of insight.

Spymaster likes this.
  18. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

It's not directed solely at you but you are one of the crowd. "I buy most stuff online. So there." So there what? Fuck off to anyone who has any critical analysis of the ethics of consumerism - because it's convenient for me to buy what I want from Jeff Bezos. And anyone who doesn't buy off Amazon like me is someone who buys "artisan bogroll from a local independent supplier who pays his happy mixd staff with bitcoin and respect." --- who's creating the strawman? i have principles and insight: don't buy from amazon cos they're a bunch of tax-dodging, employee-mistreating, homogenizing cunts. what are your principles?

Maggot and binka like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag member

I would guess few barely say thank you yet alone tip.

20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Oh fuck off you preachy bore. The OP asked a question to which people have responded in n. A lot of people don’t share your values. Get fucking over it. Dicks like you make me want to burn a field of wheatgrass.

21. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

What do you think this forum is for, if not commenting on what people say? Challenging it, where warranted? Burn a field of wheatgrass lol

YouSir likes this.
  22. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

You didn't do that though. You just slagged off everyone who's not of your world view. Stick it up your arse you supercilious prick.

23. BristolEcho

BristolEcho Well-Known Member

I don't see any insecurity here.

You say "I have principles" as if others don't on here don't so I'm struggling to see your point. I quickly learned after making some changes to my life (Going Veggie etc) that I'll never be able to be completely guilt free and someone or something is going to be getting fucked over along the supply chain over everything I do. That's not to say that we can't all make changes and that we should do nothing, but it's impossible to be perfect and in my experience there is always someone just waiting to tell you how you are not perfect.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    xenon, MrCurry and Pickman's model like this.
  24. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

specially on urban

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  25. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

+

my world view is slightly more complicated than just "fuck amazon", but this thread is about shopping online, so we're only dealing with that aspect of world views. there are plenty of people on this thread who i think i have a lot in common with in terms of world view, actually (not you tho)... but on this particular issue there's a difference of opinion. now chill the fuck out, wheatfield enthusiast

hash tag likes this.
  26. Flavour

Flavour hang the bankers

the temptation to justify one's own dubious choices by bringing up / comparing them to choices made by others is defensive, and insofar as it indicates a hesitation to defend one's choices purely on their own terms, and a preference to attack other choices (which may or may not be comparable) ... that is, for me, insecure.

let's take the example which we saw upthread about microsoft and apple. realistically, there are only 3 operating systems you can have on your computer: microsoft, apple or linux. most of us are forced to use one of these by our work environment, and are therefore familiar with it naturally. so it's understandable if someone has a microsoft or apple computer at home because they're familiar with the system, rather than making the (questionably) "ethical" choice of using linux at home -- it's not the same as using amazon.

amazon isn't a working environment that's difficult to learn to use: it's a shopping website. and it makes buying everything under the sun as easy as possible, all from one place, all from one warehouse, all the profits going in one direction.

the hidden cost of using amazon and saving a few quid on your books, electrical appliances, shoes, whatever and having it delivered at home is the death of the high street, independent businesses and a longer line of people queuing up for those shit jobs in amazon warehouses where your toilet breaks are timed and you're not allowed to talk. i'd rather not live in a world where that is normal. and in buying from amazon we endorse their system.

if it's literally a matter of life and death, and you can ONLY afford to get it from amazon, and if you were to spend a few quid more on it down the shop then you literally wouldn't be able to feed your family, fine. understandable. but that's not the way it is for most people. but the logic of "i must spend the least money amount of possible" is destructive and the hidden costs should be examined.

27. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

I don't use amazon much but do occasionally. Tbh I don't buy much really and still in habit of going to a shop for most things. But anyway, all power to people who exercise a total boycott and all that.

Do find the support local business or support small business stuff jarring though. Fuck 'em, just as bad as any other business. I've worked for little firms and big firms and tbh little firms tend to be the worst cunts, underpaying, fuck all benefits beyond SSP etc, trying to encourage you to opt out of a pension, just playing fast and loose with employment law etc. Also late paying invoices, going kaput to avoid tax bills, running artificial high costs to keep corporation tax down, all that stuff. Also idea that by spending with local firms you keep money local is also not a given by any stretch, main way this happens is through wages to employees who spend locally and that's no different whether it's Tracey down the road running a cleaning business or some massive global enterprise. No such thing as ethical capitalism blah.

28. bimble

bimble noisy but small

I love a really good hardware shop and theres one in my nearest town now (tools teapots every kind of screws lightbulbs birdfood etc and people in there who know exactly what you need if you explain the problem you're tying to fix) so have been doing my best to go there instead of buying all that stuff on amazon mainly just because its a much nicer experience, shop even smells good.

clicker, hash tag and iona like this.
  29. Proper Tidy

Proper Tidy Arsed

I like a hardware shop. One I go to sells them rubber things for keys, 2 for a quid, one of them things I would never go out purposefully to buy but I pick new ones up every time. Mind you the amount they wanted for a wheelbarrow in the summer was outrageous, ordered one online instead :)

hash tag likes this.
  30. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Yeah the big stuff always cheaper online isn’t it because rent on high street v massive warehouse somewhere near a motorway.
    I like those colourful key hats too. Amazon would offer you a pack of 20 , same with screws teaspoons etc, little stuff much better to buy in real life.