Are you looking forward to the Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'Olympics 2008' started by Minnie_the_Minx, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

and of course the Closing Ceremony?

Most ceremonies are pretty naff (although I seem to remember enjoying the ones in Athens), but the worse ones are often the American ones.

However, I've got the feeling these ceremonies will be quite spectacular - performed with military precision and none of the Disney crap that we have to put up with from the US.

I know it's all massively orchestrated etc. but can we just keep the politics out of this thread please. :p

2. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

Yes!!!!

I love the opening ceremonies. They tend to showcase the country's history and culture. The parade of athletes is a bit boring, but I love to see the countries that only send a couple of athletes.

3. Minnie_the_Minx

Except America ;)

With the parade of athletes, I like guessing which country's coming next. How sad is that :oops:

4. spring-peeper

I don't know about it being a sad thing. It's kinds cool to see if you can guess the countries. I've never tried it, I suck at all the small countries. I will, however, introduce this game as we all sit around watching.

5. Minnie_the_Minx

Yeah, you have to remember all the little ones like Sao Tome and Principe, St Kitts and Nevis etc.

All great fun :oops::D

6. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

I fucking hate opening ceremonys. They are pointless. I'd like to see them scrapped.

7. spring-peeper

A lot of pride goes into hosting the Olympics. I think that it is wonderful that a country that has put in so much work can show off to the world.

A lot of pride goes into competing for your country as well. I love to see the faces of the athletes as they enter and the pride and concentration on the flag bearer.

Long live the opening ceremonies!!!!

8. CharlieAddict

CharlieAddict nekomimi rocks!!!

unless there are dancing bears, pandas jumping through firey hoops then i'm not interested.

9. Minnie_the_Minx

I think they are long, and the best bit really (after guessing which nation comes next :oops:) is the fireworks

10. Melinda

Melinda Kama roa, efshar livloa?

I love the Athlete's Parade!

The archers from Bhutan are always my favourite!

Its always a bit hard luck on those competing the following morning and arent able to take part though.

11. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

12. Melinda

Boo! Hiss! There'll be dragons and fire and dancing girls with painted faces!

YESSSSSSS!

13. Lea

Lea Sur un seul mot de toi...

Yes, I love the opening ceremony to the olympics. I love the artistic side of the Olympics. I'll be watching it if it's on at a reasonable time.

14. Melinda

Good point. The 7 hour time difference is going to be a difficult for us. Worse for the Americans though.

15. Minnie_the_Minx

Who gives a toss about the Merkins. They probably won't enjoy it anyway if Mickey and Minnie aren't there :D

16. Melinda

I find the larger 'Western' teams so blasé and cynical about the parade. Athletes from smaller nations grin and wave and love it!

[​IMG]

17. ScallyWag II

ScallyWag II New Member

the olympics opening ceremony is about the only one i think i've ever watched. don't think i've ever seen a closing ceremony (on purpose anyway)

18. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Anyone know when it starts? My Mum is fretting about leaving my place in time to see it.

19. Minnie_the_Minx

According to Radio Times:

Bollocks. I'll be at work, so will have to get b/f to video it

20. spring-peeper

8am est - thanks for the times minnie

21. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Cool, we'll have it on in the office :cool:

22. Minnie_the_Minx

where are you?

23. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the ceremony starts with the camera focused in on one person doing a kung fu form. And then pans out and out and out and finally you see that there are ONE MILLION kung fu artists, assembled into a giant, terrifying Chinese Olympic army.

Well, it'd look cool....:hmm:

Matt

24. Minnie_the_Minx

Yep, I'm thinking along the same lines :oops: If there's one thing that countries like Russia, China and Korea are good at, it's big displays :D

25. Minnie_the_Minx

Actually, I do wonder if we'll be able to see to the other side of the stadium with all that pollution :hmm::D

26. JTG

JTG Angry about not being able to be an astronaut.

Boris is gonna be in the closing ceremony :cool:

27. Matt S

Matt S Well-Known Member

As part of the kung fu army?

That'd be great.

Matt

28. E.J.

E.J. Away from U75

Yep in the handover ceremoninal ting Jtug

Minnie the Minx - i remember the opening and closing ceremony of Seoul 88 and it was wicked in terms of the colour and the martial arts (Tae Kwon Do) & Korean style fencing combat demonstrations! :cool:

29. Phenotypic Dai

Phenotypic Dai The girdle of Venus

Fantastic. 4 hours of numpties poncing about on stilts, supposedly representing the mating ritual of the mountain Panda, or some such bollocks.

4 hours!

There better be jet packs on display.

30. pastieburt

pastieburt Best team in the league.

Don't forget about the parachute men always missing the landing spot.