Are you able to sign on for Jobseekers Allowance/Universal Credit if you are rough sleeping?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Trevor the King, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Trevor the King

Trevor the King New Member

Or do you need a postal address?

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. yield

yield zero

Any luck with the local council about temporary shelter? You should be able to claim with a "care of address" at a day centre or the like? You'll need your national insurance number

Have you made an appointment with Citizens Advice ?

Homeless Link

MrSki and Pickman's model like this.
  3. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

4. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

That link does say that your benefits might be lower if you are rough sleeping but doesn't say how much by. Anybody know?

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

6. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Universal Credit usually includes a housing allowance (rather than a separate claim for housing benefit), so I'm guessing 'benefits would be lower' means that if you're not paying rent then you just get the Universal Credit living allowance but no housing allowance, sort of thing.

Argonia likes this.
  7. Argonia

Argonia Happy go licky

That would make sense, yes. Hopefully that's the case rather than you being penalised for being homeless by losing out on the rest of your money.

RubyBlue likes this.
  8. porp

porp Well-Known Member

Hope so too. Hope no right wing think tanks are gathering ideas...

9. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Unfortunately it seems like under UC you will only get about £57 per week instead of about £73 as it was under jsa.

Argonia likes this.
  10. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Really?!? I thought it was just younger people who got less? Wouldn't surprise me though. I suppose the bastards will be saying 'Well, if you don't have a house you don't have any bills to pay!' not taking into account that people who are homeless have higher costs, like hostels usually kick people out during the day, so people need bus/tube fares to get around, and then if they want a cup of tea they can't put the kettle on and make one for pence but have to spend a couple of quid in a café, plus you can't rustle up a sandwich or something cheap to eat so buying ready to eat and takeaways costs a fortune. Plus there's mobile phone/data costs if you don't have a home with broadband, and you have to keep that topped up or else if you miss a message from the DWP you'll get sanctioned.

Argonia and Celyn like this.
  11. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

I don't know for sure but the person I know who is still on jsa still gets 73 a week. The person I know who is making a first claim so UC is getting 57 a week. And the person I know who was moved from jsa to uc was on 73 a week but got about 630 for about 11 weeks (eventually) which ive just noticed works out to about 57 a week.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  12. passenger

passenger up and down...

When I was, yes, just find someone or as I did make it up find a
    house that is empty etc

Celyn likes this.
  13. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Despite the internet, the DWP will occasionally send letters, so finding someone whose address to use might be better. Obviously, when stuck in a situation where needs must, that choice might not be available.:(

It's bad stuff, though. Anybody without a place to live probably has higher "living expenses"* because of no kettle, cooker, heating etc. :mad: Can't get by on potatoes or rice if there's no way to cook.

And it will soon be winter. People need to be able to be warm.

* "living expenses", eh? A usefully cold way to refer to the fact that people need food and warmth. And toilet and water. Could call it basic needs and rights. I wonder why DWP prefers not to.

Argonia and AnnO'Neemus like this.