Are there no meat-eating anarchists?

Discussion in 'theory, philosophy & history' started by Toast Rider, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Toast Rider

Toast Rider Banned Banned

Being vegan seems to be almost essential to an anarchist outlook or lifestyle? Or indeed any kind of radical anticapitalist approach.

What about even getting rid of capitalist industrial agriculture and raising animals in their natural environment (which is healthy for the land)?

I eat meat (to be clear, though i imagine that's fairly obvious at this point)

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

yes there are meat-eating anarchists, i've even met one or two.

NoXion likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

...because?

NoXion likes this.
  4. andysays

andysays Defiantly non-premium member

Real anarchists eat babies

5. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

But are the babies vegan?

6. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Rather depends what you mean by anarchist. If you mean vaguely green/lifestylist types, I'm not even sure a majority are vegan, even if the bulk are vegetarian. If you mean libcom/class struggle anarchists, vegans definitely a minority.

7. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

Lots of anarchists are meat eaters.

I don't agree with all that Bookchin writes here, but I do agree with his general evaluation of lifestyle anarchism: 8. Evaluating Lifestyle Anarchism

8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Janet biehl says in her biography of him that the thing that caused most friction between them was his daily habit of driving about a mile to MacDonald's to get his lunch.

9. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

10. Wilf

Wilf Meeting few of his KPIs

Town Meeting - sponsored by MacDonalds.

11. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

I give the meat to my dog on a string.

12. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

By chapter 2 of 'Whom The Bell Tolls' it is pretty clear that Robert Jordan and Co don't seem to care too much for a vegan diet:

'They were all eating out of the platter, not speaking, as is the Spanish custom. It was rabbit cooked with onions and green peppers and there were chick peas in the red wine sauce. It was well cooked, the rabbit meat flaked off the bones, and the sauce was delicious. Robert Jordan drank another cup of wine while he ate. The girl watched him all through the meal. Every one else was watching his food and eating. Robert Jordan wiped up the last of the sauce in front of him with a piece of bread, piled the rabbit bones to one side, wiped the spot where they had been for sauce, then wiped his fork clean with the bread, wiped his knife and put it away and ate the bread.'

dessiato likes this.
  13. butchersapron

That's Jordan the Yankee stalinist and his stalinist mates. One of the groups killling anarchists.

There actually was a quite a large number of VGs or veggies among the spanish anarchists. There was a def puritan current among the more ideologically committed.

danny la rouge and littleseb like this.
  14. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Maybe a lack of meat is what causes people's decline in mental faculties to the extent that the believe in a system that could never work.

8ball likes this.
  15. butchersapron

NoXion likes this.
  16. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Don't see any relevance. Unless you are accusing me of supporting theocracy? Which is the polar opposite of standpoint.

17. butchersapron

Game over.

18. MadeInBedlam

MadeInBedlam Arm the mentally ill

Proper anarachists only seeds and shoots

19. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

A fantastic book. I must read it again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  20. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

If you're raising them it's not their natural environment. I do love a pointless Internet gotcha.

21. Toast Rider

It doesn't have to be anarchist specifically, but anyone that wants to live in a society free from unjustified power and authority, like capitalism. My experience with people whose views so align is that they are invariably vegan, and vice versa

22. Toast Rider

the meat or the dog?

23. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Not been my experience (i.e. not invariably) and will be even less prevalent internationally I'd reckon.

24. Toast Rider

because what?

25. Pickman's model

yeh that's what i'm asking. what are your grounds for saying that being vegan seems essential to any kind of radical anticapitalist approach. and approach to what?

NoXion likes this.
  26. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

this is bollocks. Plenty of people who want rid of capitalism are meat eaters, straight veggie, lactose intolerant, half rice half chips, no sugar after sundown etc

27. Dragnet

Dragnet Well-Known Member

It's not essential; I'd perhaps say there's a greater proportion of vegetarians/vegans among anarchists than among 'non-anarchists', for whatever reason, but, in my experience at least, they're not the majority.

28. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

I want rid of capitalism and ate a sausage roll last night.

Riklet, moochedit, 8115 and 3 others like this.
  29. Toast Rider

how do you live with yourself?

30. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I suppose the baby-eating anarchists would count.