Are there any organisations that do deposit schemes for students?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by sim667, Sep 11, 2017.

  1. sim667

    sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

    Looking for advice for a friend thats been made homeless, estranged from her family and got mental health issues.

    She's been offered a place at art college, but has been told because of her circumstances and her requirement to live alone (as recomended by her mental health support team) that she would need a £900 deposit and a years rent upfront to get a place near where the college is. Currently she's jobless and living in a hostel provided by her local homeless charity.

    Obviously she has literally no chance of being able to afford that, and to be honest its doubtful she'd even be able to save enough money to afford it if she deferred for a year.

    So does anyone know any organisations that can offer support on this kind of thing?
  2. killer b

    killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

    I strongly doubt the legality of charging a years rent upfront, and would suggest she take advice from Shelter or similar.
    Slo-mo, Plumdaff, muscovyduck and 2 others like this.
  3. sim667

    sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

    A quick google sounds like its pretty standard practice.
  4. scifisam

    scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

    Standard practice where? I've never heard of it. A month is usual. Landlords that accept DSS might ask for longer but a year word be absurd because anyone who had that money wouldn't be eligible for housing benefit to begin with.

    Local councils can provide help with paying deposits (here: Rent deposit, bond and guarantee schemes). Obviously not everyone can access that, but if your friend is already living in a hostel I'd say she has a good chance. I think the usual way of applying for that is to first apply to go on the housing register and tick the box saying you're interested in private lets.
    Slo-mo likes this.
  5. 8ball

    8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

    I was thinking this was a thread about finding a sperm bank that pays well...
  6. sim667

    sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

    I forgot to update this.

    She's deferred, no-one would rent her a gaff.
  7. Mr Smin

    Mr Smin Registered Luser

    The student loan is issued per term. She might be able to negotiate rent payments at the same frequency?

    scifisam a year's rent up front is probably not in the same market as HB renters. I've only seen it on high end places.
  8. Plumdaff

    Plumdaff joy in people

    Obviously standard student accommodation may not be suitable but the Uni accommodation service should still be able to advise.
  9. scifisam

    scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

    Yeah, I can definitely believe it might happen with high end places. It's definitely not standard practice for anyone else though!
  10. crossthebreeze

    crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

    I've heard about a years rent upfront in relation to student accommodation for students that don't have a guarantor - i assume because they are generally dealing with 18 year olds with no tenancy/credit/employment history or local connections and who won't be eligible for HB if things go wrong, and if someone moves out, empty rooms won't necessarily get filled by students until the next term or academic year - its still shady though.

    sim667 - if your friend has now deferred and has a term or a year until she can start again, it might be worth her looking into moving to the area as a non-student. Obviously if she's on HB now she'll be restricted to what it'll cover (so if the college is in a posh area it might be hard), but as a non-student on benefits or low income as opposed to being a student she's much more likely to be accepted on a deposit/guarantee scheme, be asked to pay less rent up front, or could even apply for social housing (obviously she might not be able to claim a local connection so she probably won't be priority, and waiting lists can be ridiculous, but there may be other criteria - and its worth looking at housing associations not just the council list). Once she's got somewhere they won't care once she becomes a student, though if she has to move out (eviction, rent increases, etc) once she is a student, it might put her back to square one - but by then she'll have more of a tenancy history as well as being in the student loans system etc so things might be slightly easier - universities and colleges sometimes have a student hardship fund to help in these kind of situations too (which wouldn't be available to her until she was actually registered as a student).

    It might also be worth her doing a grants search - you never know.
    muscovyduck and spanglechick like this.
  11. sim667

    sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

    I don't think she's in the position to move there at the moment, she's still in a hostel..... I actually need to check in with her, I have absolutely no idea whats going on with benefits for her etc. I know her mental health has improved a fair bit lately, which is the important thing for the moment.

    crossthebreeze thanks for the suggestions, Ill talk to her about some of those ideas.
    crossthebreeze likes this.
  12. A380

    A380 How do I change this 'custom title' thing then?

    Student Halls might ask for a year upfront, but they normally offer a discount if you pay like that rather than termly or monthly.
  13. sim667

    sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

    There are no halls where's she's been accepted.
  14. scifisam

    scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

    You're not eligible for housing benefit in student halls anyway.
    sim667 likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice