Are the Welsh a separate "race"?

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by TeeJay, Jun 23, 2004.

?

Are the Welsh a separate "race"?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other (please state)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. reallyoldhippy

reallyoldhippy Banned Banned

Not a dig - genuine question

Do you think that racists need to believe in an idea of genetic race? Do you think that racists hate the Irish, Gypsies (and Welsh) because of some idea of genetic purity? Do you think that many racists have such a rationality behind their racism? Or is it the "difference" that is abhorred rather than the "genetic difference"?

2. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

I agree with you that the answer is "no". However, at the moment 25% of people have voted "yes", and I don't think we have had any ST**MF***T trolls voting either - judging from the fact that several long-term and left-wing posters have actually said on the thread itself they voted 'yes'.

You will see fom my posts in this thread that I definitely don't believe in the idea of so-called separate and distinct "races" at all.

3. Dr. Christmas

Dr. Christmas ca suffit

Interesting point, hippy: for the more sinister 'intellectual' racists subjects such as phrenology and quack science such as 'racial hygiene' a la nazi germany give a veneer of 'academic credibility' to their prejudice.

The majority rationale I suspect is fear/hatred of the 'other', irrationally expressed..

4. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Surely people can hate "the other" on the basis of:

* so-called "race" (eg appearance, skin, eye, hair colour etc)
    * nationality/citizenship
    * ethnicity (eg culture, language, religion, regional accent)
    * culture/sub-culture/lifestyle choice
    * random things that they decide to pick on - including gender, sexuality, disabilities for example.

5. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

No i don't - that was a direct reply to idahos now taken back attempt to place me in the racists camp - i argued nothing beyond the idea that genetic race doesn't exist. So ask someone else please.

6. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

So, TeeJay, given that 'race' does not exist in your mind, does this therefore mean that racism cannot exist?

IMO, quite an interesting discussion about race and nationality was starting to emerge. Race and racism being quite an important issue, no?

The discussion may perhaps have shed some light on how people sought to define race, which, yes, is a purley human concept based, until recently on phenotype. This was, of course until that you saw that the thread which you had started with clear intention to troll (probably to use as ammo against certain posters when they cry 'racist' in the face of xenophobic commments made about the Welsh). You then felt the need to destroy it with a massive cut and paste plagurism session which neither effectivley utilised nor attempted to add to any of the science in your sources, and then to resort to petty bickering, as seems to be the case of late.

Actually got anything useful to add (which actually comes from you as oppose to plagurising off someone else)?

<edited to add: and which dosent involve you posting stupid pictures of livestock?>

7. Dr. Christmas

Dr. Christmas ca suffit

Re: Chester: there is a welsh idiom, cael Cwn Ci Caer , used to indicate having to get up very early. It literally means 'before the dogs of Chester'. This was because Chester was onew of those places where welshmen could be killed legally during daylight. hence A Welshman in Chester had to get up and leave before dawn to avoid the possible consequences.

mae rhaid i fi codi cael cwn ci Caer 'fory- I must get up very early tomorrow

8. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

So-called separate "races" don't exist, but people can invent labels for themselves and other people based on physical appearances etc and claim that they therefore belong to a certain "race". When they then discrimate based on these false labels then that is racism.
    Yes: Fuck off, twat! And don't bother replying to that because guess what I am doing now...

*adds yet another dribbling arsehole to ignore list*

9. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I've seen someone else say that - be original at least bluey.

*bangs on door of plagiarists smelly and unclean flat*

10. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

I reckon I've got Teejay's racial origins pegged now. These last posts have been the final pieces in his eugenic jigsaw.

More later. ;)

11. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

What was it you were saying about reporting posts?

Thing is, I wouldn't, you are too much entertainment.

I think he's flipped again!

12. ernestolynch

Definitely ran out of tablets. :( Poor Teejay.

13. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Do you think he thinks that pretending he's added to his ignore list upsets people?

Its funny how he pretends to ignore everyone who disagrees with him.

:rolleyes:

14. ernestolynch

He is fucking great though isn't he!

15. NoEgo

NoEgo I've got a big one

I'm glad that I'm not the only person on U75 who is perceived to ask silly questions....

16. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

I think we should start a Teejay fan club! :)

It'd be mental!

17. ernestolynch

Fucking loony idea!!!

18. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

OK, I was acting as a bit of a nutter!

19. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

Question:

Have you actually got anything useful to add, which desn't involve you plagurising someone else?

Answer:

So, thats actually a 'no' then?

20. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

what do you mean by some black men being "genetically caucasian"? are they not "genetically african" as well? do you mean that they happen to have european blood in them?

what's this nonsense about these seven races around the world? do you mean general human phenotypes? race is not a biological concept.

and the catalans and basques are definitely not celtic, mate. try galicia, perhaps. and the catalans (the name came from the gothic invaders, but the population is of mediterranean origin) and the basques never went to ireland and england. indeed the basques are assumed to have stayed in their mountains for thousands of years and their language is unique in the world, never mind not being indo-european.

do read up.

21. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Why use one word when you can cutnpaste five hundred?

22. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

The basques are a fascinating exception to just about everything to do with human migration and development out of africa. And quite so - they predate the 'celts' by tens of thousands of years.

23. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

24. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

interesting link, but what it says, really, is that when the celts invaded Britain, they took over existing populations posibly genetically related to the basques and bred with them. the celts moved to western europe 2500 to 3000 years ago, the basques are said to be so separate from other european people that it may have been 40000 years ago that genetic differences started to occur. sounds to me that it is going back to the time when the first Cro Magnons arrived and beat the shit out of the Neanderthals. there is a theory out there, actually, that a few neanderthals managed to breed with the sapiens. ernie is the nearest proof we have of that theory.

25. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Arf arf...

All the evidence given throughout this thread has come form the exact same bit of research. It will be interesting in a few years time when there are more studies out there to compare with.

26. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

If people were *really* serious about this subject rather than being far more interested in tribalistic/nationalistic flag-waving then wouldn't they be interested in studies on populations all over the world? If you divided the global population up into "Welsh-sized" groups (c.3 million iirc) you'd have over 2000 of them.

I am reminded slightly of the Japanese (Shinto) creation myth with the Ni-Hon-Jin (lit. True/original-Sun-People) being created when Ameratsu - the sun goddess - dipped her spear into the ocean and formed Japan. This story says that they are the 'original humans'. Everyone else is a "Gai-Jin" (outside-person). Many cultures have their own equivalent foundation or creation myth that places them at the centre of the universe or proposes some divinely-inspired or prestigous origins for their 'people/nation'.

You don't get many which say "we are all just a mish-mash of intermarriage, migration and borrowed culture, and really there isn't anything special or unique about us at all". It seems that even some scientists are still pandering to national boundaries, asking questions that bound by preconcieved identities and using the language of so-called "race" (or this might just be the BBC journalist?). I think you will see some far more serious research happening as the human genome project starts to be used for medical applications and is rolled out internationally. There will be no demand for romanticised and pre-determined boxes based on historical and national/cultural myths as health systems and reseachers in each country will simply want to know the genetic profile of their target population, for medical purposes. They won't be trying to prove or disprove some bogus or politically-charged rewriting of the history books or be having tenuous arguments over national/cultural identity being linked to genetics.

27. ernestolynch

Are you a Nipponese? (Nip for short)

28. RubberBuccaneer

RubberBuccaneer Hedd Wyn

If we're not a seperate race how come we look like this?
    [​IMG]

29. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Too many drugs?

30. ernestolynch

I believe that the Celts are a seperate race from all the others. Scientists have proven that the IQ of Celts is on average 20% higher than other races. This can even be passed on to half-Celts and quatro-Celts.

The purest of Celts would be located in the western-most parts of Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Breizh and Galicia.

It is reported that the Celtic Race is as close to perfection as is possible.