Are the Welsh a separate "race"?

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by TeeJay, Jun 23, 2004.

?

Are the Welsh a separate "race"?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other (please state)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Famous bit of graffitti in Brighton - the original was written by some NF types and the add ons came later:

One RaceThe Rat Race
    One NationUrination

I still at times say that I'm going for a 'one nation'.

2. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone post tenebras lux

Spot on, though you can see why people with a political agenda are going to find this a very troubling idea.

3. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

:( zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Whu-wha-whuzzgoin on? :confused:

*Unsubscribes from thread*

4. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

What a fool.

5. ernestolynch

TeeJay
    now has an ignore list :
    What a fool.

6. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

You haven't left the thread? Well how about answering some of the points I have made. If you are having trouble with some of the details I will gladly try and find you some easy-to-understand links which explain about the science involved. However, since "race" is a socially constructed concept, maybe you don't think it is simply all about genetics anyway? (btw ernie I have taken you off my list because unlike many of the other muppets you actually make a lot of posts that are, for various reasons, worth reading)

7. ernestolynch

Because you're an arse and you'll be crying by 4pm...

8. ernestolynch

Please put me back on your list.... :(

9. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Why will I be crying by 4pm. FWIW you have never made me cry ever Ernie, and you are deluding yourself if you think that I have taken you seriously enough for anything you say to upset me that much for a long time now. I kind of got over that after you started taking the piss out of my mental health and started accusing me of being a neo-nazi or whatever. I soon realised that you are a buffoon. However, I would still like to know what you understand by the term "race" and I would like to see what you have to say about the fact that 75% or so of people in Southern England have "Celtic ancestry" in terms of genetics. I can imagine that kind of fucks with your head a bit doesn't it, if you rerally do believe that being welsh or celtic or whatever is about 'genes' or 'blood'? If on the other hand it is really about culture, then it shouldn't be a massive problem for you. I would have thought that if you really do value welsh culture and its differences to english culture, you would be far better off admitting that "race" had nothing to do with it?

10. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

I really wouldn't worry about it Teejay. The best thing to do with Ernesto is to enjoy the sport of winding him up and savaging his flimsy grasp on logic, science, history, social skills, gardening, etc.

11. ernestolynch

Shut it Tory boy. Bigots like you are on borrowed time.

12. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

I have done that in the past and sometimes that all you can do, since he refuses to be serious or engage with any points at all. However the reason I have left it so late to actually contribute to this thread was so that he, and others, could set out their racial theories in a bit more detail, rather than just turn it into a silly slagging match immediately and lose any meaning ful or interesting debate under a deluge of insults, counter-insults and derailments.

It is worth looking at how many people have actually voted that they think the Welsh are a 'separate "race"', and how many people have supported this concept on this thread. Rather than shouting at each other or trying to accuse each other of being neo-nazis etc, isn't it worth trying to understand why people actually believe these things, and more specifically *what* they do actually believe? I don't think that any BNP-twats have crawled into this thread yet, there really is the basis of an interesting debate here. Ernie baiting will destroy any decent debate.

13. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Awww Ernest - now you've hurt my feewings.

Borrowed from whom? Tory Boy eh? I'll have you know I switched to UKIP ;)

14. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Will you two shut up with the school playground taunting and try and actually establish what you disagree about?

I don't believe there are such things as separate "races", but apparently most people in the UK think there are (although whether most people think the Welsh "qualify" as a separate "race" is more doubtful). The vast majority of these people are not what would be typically called "racist" - in that they think there are separate races but would probably say that everyone is equal and no race is better than any other. There are two issues:

1. Are there separate races?
    2. Is everyone equal?

I take it that both of you, being fairly left-wing, agree that (2) everyone is equal. The issue we are discussing is (1).

15. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Do you not believe that there are seprate races teejay?

16. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Ernest himself routinely destorys any decent debate. He's very good at it. If your challenges start to hit home he either bails out or starts the insult/threat combo as in:

It's a good tactic on his part. It hints at a threat without being enough to call him out on. And it suggests that I am a supporter of the Conservative Party - in order to try and rally support against me. I only have a few options from here and most of them are not great.

• Go running to the mods saying Ernest is a meany - bad show and he hasn't done enough
    • Vehemently deny alliegence to the Tory Party! Hehehe - and get bogged down in that nonsense? Naah...
    • Try and pull the debate back on track with evidence - Already done it. In fact the info I gave comes from the exact same bit of research that he himself cited in the BBC article! Fat lot of good it did.
    • Bait him and throw his same tactics back at him - yeah that's more like it.

So Ernesto - was Stalin a Georgian nationalist?

17. reallyoldhippy

reallyoldhippy Banned Banned

If you heard one of the kids at school say this to another, would you just let it go? Have you got a school bullying policy? :eek:

18. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

No. I don't believe separate and distinct "races" exist at all. I have already made that completely clear in my posts on this thread, including my last one:
    How about you butchersapron?

19. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Teejay has me on ignore but not butchers!?

:eek: :(

20. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

Idaho and reallyoldhippy - if Ernie tries to derail the thread, don't let him or give into his tactics by reacting to them, otherwise you are giving him exactly what he wants. Just keep it on topic and keep exposing the flaws in his racial theories. If he tries to change the subject, don't go along with it. If he resorts to personal abuse or accusations, don't go along with it. If he breaches the faqs then report the post. But don't let him change the subject away from things he doesn't want to see debated.

21. reallyoldhippy

Do you? How many are there? How are they defined? Are the welsh a "race"? :rolleyes:

22. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

Maybe I should have done this with another poster.

23. reallyoldhippy

No way. :)

24. TeeJay

TeeJay New Member

You said you didn't even want an apology.

25. butchersapron

No i don't believe that you believe in races either.

And i was referring more to the fact that you spent about a month letting everyone know that you didn't believe in races on all manner of threads now matter how unconnected to your hobby horse, quite recently, in the same manner as your recent bout of green-spamming.

And no, of course i don't believe in gentic races.

26. butchersapron

...and you've not quite managed to get behind what erns 'racial theories' are designed to do have you?

27. ernestolynch

What does the Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council have to say on it I wonder?

28. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

To annoy people? To inspire the second coming? To bring about the dawn of a new age of man? :confused:

29. Idaho

Idaho blah blah blah

Me too. Fhtang Ole Biscuit Barrel.

30. flimsier

flimsier Banned Banned

What happened to your ignore list? Did it even exist?