Are the Welsh a separate "race"?

Discussion in 'Wales/Cymru' started by TeeJay, Jun 23, 2004.

?

Are the Welsh a separate "race"?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. Other (please state)

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. ernestolynch

ernestolynch Banned Banned

The BNP peddle this myth as part of their 'British race' bullshit.

2. oddjob

oddjob Banned Banned

what does that mean :(

3. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

Which bit do they peddle ern?

4. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

and you'd never misquote, distort or outright lie to back up a spurious idea of racial purity would you ern?

:mad: :rolleyes:

5. ernestolynch

The stuff about the Celts mixing in fully and accepting the Germanics...fits in nicely with their races=black or white issues....like what Lee Jasper does as well

6. Clintons Cat

Clintons Cat Walks Like A Twat.

the catagorisation of people innit

Like rosenberg and his catergorisations of people based on caranium size as an indicator of racial purity

7. ernestolynch

If I knew who the fuck you were I could reply - but you seem to be one of those 'rolleyes' twats.

:mad: :rolleyes: = the sign of a moron.

8. MightyAphrodite

MightyAphrodite rosebud R.I.P.

ive never met a welsh person who wasnt kind and considerate - and ive met quite a few.
    i dont know if theyre a serperate race.
    they are if they wanna be i suppose.

9. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

so what explanation would you give for the sudden disappearance of celtic culture from england (bar cumbria and cornwall) shortly after the germanic invasions?

10. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

odd thing to say.

:D

(oops!)

11. ernestolynch

12. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

Ah, so thats what makes them think they can stand in Wales and get away with it. Pricks.

13. ernestolynch

Ethnic cleansing, and a mass emigration of British refugees (who were Christians for their sins) westwards to escape the Germanic 'heathens'

14. ernestolynch

Exactly, fynci!
    :cool:

15. oddjob

oddjob Banned Banned

yep

*bet is portugal*

edit: fuck, wrong mind

16. ernestolynch

super bock me up

17. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

so why does the evidence of place names suggest that many celtic bubbles remained alongside the invaders? and why were the celtic christians so successful in reconverting the angles (before augustine & co)? the picture you paint is pure romance.

18. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

But still, the Prydain are one of the many races that may call themselves Welsh, agreed? (Am I doing this to death now, if so, sorry :oops: )

19. ernestolynch

Some place names remained eg Pontefract, Thames (Tafwys), Dover (Dwfr), but not many. The last British place to hold out was Elmet (Elfed) in present day south Yorkshire.

However how much British carried through into the English language? Fuck all. Explain that, GCSE-boy. The picture you paint is Anglocentric Yookay Nationalism.

20. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

interesting article ern, thanks, though i'm a little suspicious of blood of the vikings-esque history! :) ps: the bit in the article about offa's dyke and ethnic cleansing is bollocks, as any cursory glance at the history of eighth century mercia will show. the interesting bit is, i think, the 'lost' period of the invasions themselves and the aftermath.

21. oddjob

oddjob Banned Banned

can you explain that in 100 words please

22. ernestolynch

Welsh=Prydeinig.

Welsh is a Saxon insult given to the British. It means 'foreign slaves/vassals'. (Weallas).

Why am I arguing with this Tom chap btw who until an hour ago thought that the West Saxons were Celts?
    :rolleyes:

23. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

Few major towns in England have Celtic place names, but plenty of smaller places do. I don't think Thames is Celtic. Or maybe it's romano-british. not sure...

the tiny influence of the celtic language on old english suits my argument of the surprising absence of celtic culture in early anglo-saxon england! (and i aint one of your students ern, so enough of the silly remarks please)

24. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

erm... what the fuck?

25. oddjob

oddjob Banned Banned

:D :D :D :D :D

26. ernestolynch

Thames is from Tafwys can't you read???

Name all your heap big plenty small places then, cowboy...

27. ernestolynch

28. Funky_monks

Funky_monks Neo-Rustic

Ok, I just put Prydain to avoud confusion over the word "Briton" (It could be taken, by some people as meaning anyone who lives in the modern day area that some people call Britain). I suppose I meant: "The Prydain (i.e. those who are descended from aincient Britons) are one of many races that, today can call themselves Cymraeg, no?"

29. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

in response to idaho's comment about the celtic ethnicity of hampshire i say

i'm sorry i don't have the evidence to hand. i'll try and dredge up an article when i can.

30. tom796

tom796 osmosis of gnosis

don't know which dictionary you're referring to - weallas = foreigners. i.e. cornwall is a conflation (correct me if i'm wrong) of the celtic word for themselves and the germanic name for them.