Are most movies and series basically the same now?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by J Ed, Feb 10, 2018.

1. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

I had this thought while watching Altered Carbon, then reading a thread on here about a sequel to Deadpool.

Deadpool, all of the Marvel superhero ones, the Black Panther, Thor, Altered Carbon... I know that most [all?] of these movies have the comic book theme in common, but we could be talking about action movies more generally and every film released at the moment seems to be based on comic books, and there is something infantilising about that anyway.

It all just seems so samey, as if whoever is making these movies and series is using the same template and just altering surface level details in order to ensure that it appeals sufficiently to whichever group is the intended audience.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    8ball, salem and S☼I like this.
  2. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

kabbes, PursuedByBears, Idaho and 2 others like this.
  3. S☼I

S☼I I don't want your poxy mint

Think it's more that all Hollywood blockbusters seem the same. Trailers, too. But I don't watch 'em. As far as I know there are still interesting movies being made; I'll be checking out Bladerunner and that Three Billboards film in due course.

krtek a houby likes this.
  4. J Ed

S☼I likes this.
  5. S☼I

I would have guessed blockbusters were formulaic but didn't realise they're literally following a guidebook :facepalm:

kabbes likes this.
  6. J Ed

Reminds me a bit of this from Mark Fisher...

The Quietus | Features | Tome On The Range | An Extract From Mark Fisher's Ghosts Of My Life

7. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

All the superhero comic book films are the same. Bored the shit out of me.

passenger, pesh, salem and 3 others like this.
  8. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I imagined they were all using the ideas of Joseph Campbell, probably gleaned from The Power of Myth - Wikipedia. (Actually an interesting watch if can get hold of it). But it would seem they are following something far more prescriptive, and from the results that makes sense.

I've no interest in superhero films. And there hasn't just been one or two, there's been hundreds. It feels like there's only superhero films now. It's a weird phenomenon and must mean something. Probably something really bad.

9. S☼I

Thank goodness neither kid is into them. I've only seen a few, all on TV - Guardians of the Galaxy (meh), its sequel (quite good), Suicide Squad (so forgettable I forgot it while i was watching it) and Deadpool (which I liked very much). No interest in these things.

I see the Black Panther is attracting a lot of attention. Stormzy and Daniel Sturridge went.

10. S☼I

The article Santino posted says exactly which book. Worth a read (the article; I've no idea about the book).

11. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Has genre fiction ever been any different? If you watch a superhero movie, you can probably expect some character development, a victory, a setback, and then a climactic battle with a villain in which the hero and his allies eventually prevail. Same as detective stories will generally involve a mystery being solved, and romance movies tend to involve a couple defeating an obstacle to get together.

But comic book movies are especially bad for this - Iron Man 1 was him fighting a guy in a bigger iron suit, Iron Man 2 was him fighting a shitload of other iron suits, and I just couldn't be fucked going to see Iron Man 3 because it was always going to be another variation on some big fight involving variations on iron suits.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  12. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

danny la rouge likes this.
  13. J Ed

Superheroes are basically a sort of fascism, aren't they? Our problems can only be solved by the the unbridled power of the Übermensch, as a viewer we cheer him on while he attacks people who are basically stand ins for what is often an undifferentiated other, which in reality is probably just us. Lots of these superheroes are literally the superrich, fighting against people who are working-class. See Arrow, Batman etc.

[​IMG]

14. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Warning: posts may cause vasovagal presyncope

I know. I read the article. I was responding to that. I'm saying "Ah. It's a more prescriptive book they're using. I thought they were all using just a few of Joseph Campbell's ideas". In fact I literally said that. :D

S☼I likes this.
  15. ska invita

16. S☼I

17. S☼I

So you did :D

18. ska invita

i dont watch the superhero movies but i think some of the more modern ones explore the idea of superhero as a bit of fascist - batman and superman especially?

19. J Ed

Yes, a growing tendency of our times tends to be to present self-awareness as absolution.

20. ska invita

21. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

22. salem

salem Well-Known Member

It makes no sense to me either. People lap this shit up, the same story over and over again with next to no innovation except the colour of the outfit of the main person.

[​IMG]
    and the small print on the bottom says this doesn't include loads of yet to be announced stuff!

I can't help but wonder if this has to do with 9/11 which was something straight out of an action movie. If people are grasping at any sort of saviour in an unstable world even if it's just within a movie.

I get they're 'just movies' but I don't think this obsession is too healthy either. Watch the same story a dozen times and it starts to gain traction in the mind. It's all about gung-ho solutions over pragmatism. Which of course is fine in the 1D world of comic book baddies - real life is a bit more nuanced then that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Celyn likes this.
  23. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Just logged into IMDb and considering this time of year is actually the best time of year for decent films (oscars season) pretty much every major article you can scroll through is for a superhero/comic book film.

Probably not helped by super bowl to be fair as it seems to all be xxxxxx ‘super bowl spot’

24. ska invita

true. maybe because no one seems to know what to do with their self-awarenss...feels like a dead end...more Mark Fisher (Capitalist Realism) in action.

with selfaware superhero films it started with 80s 90s 'graphic novels' trying to add another dimension to the 2d world of early comic americana - The Dark Knight, Watchmen famously, and thats carried over now to some of the films, though seems most go down a more comic route, others down a slightly darker 'graphic novel' take

I can see why Americans like them because they grew up with all this, its practically folklore, and i guess there must be something that still really appeals to kids new to it around the (particularly western) world.
    advances in CGI has made all this possible and easy rather than 9/11 i reckon
    and familiar sells better than new

J Ed likes this.
  25. S☼I

If I was a cynical man I'd posit that this worldview of standing back from your own life and defer to your 'betters' is one that capitalism loves to push in as many arenas as possible, and this market is ideal for getting that message into kids' heads nice and early.

Celyn and salem like this.
  26. krtek a houby

krtek a houby how's it going to end?

Have you seen James Gunn's Super?
    Or Unbreakable, Kick Ass? The Dark Knight, Watchmen (yes, it's not all bad)?

PursuedByBears and 8ball like this.
  27. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

It's been that way forever though hasnt it? Spates of westerns, or sword and sandals, or whatever until something breaks the mould. Safety for investors I presume.

28. ska invita

people like HERO stories...its ancient stuff

29. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

Did you read comics when you were a kid? It's escapism - superhero movies aren't that different from how movies have always been, the difference now is that CGI and whatever can put comics on the big screen and they don't look like shit compared to the original. That means there is a backlog of about 50 years of comics still waiting to be translated into film.

Most entertainment is the same story told over and over again - there's not a whole lot of variation in the plots of soap operas, and a football match is basically a story that can only end one of three ways.

30. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Oops, started that reply an hour ago on phone and didn't realise we'd moved on.

S☼I likes this.