Are Lambeth Labour going to get voted back in in 2018?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by teuchter, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

MORNIN' JIMBO

"There’s been a revealing exchange of views taking place on the message boards of a popular local online forum over the past couple of weeks. It has the timely subject line ‘Are Lambeth Labour going to voted back in 2018’?"

Strangely no mention of why *some* in the borough might believe that their children will get a better education across the borough border in Southwark.

Fancy that.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Gramsci and brixtonblade like this.
  2. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

So who's Jim DIckson? Fess up...

3. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

James Rowan Chatterton Dickson, Practice Director at Four Public Affairs, former Leader of Lambeth Council, lost the Council in 1998, now Herne Hill Cllr and Progress Cabinet member. Saviour of the Carnegie library.

4. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

If Jim Dickson were really brave, and confident of his position he'd come on this thread and discuss the points he raises directly, instead of from the safety of the Lambeth Labour website. :thumbs:

Gramsci, Sue and Tricky Skills like this.
  5. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

No, I meant who's he on here...

6. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

He concludes:

Well done Jim. Usual glib nonsense.

7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

You can view the posts on this section of Urban without being a member of Urban.

Other sections are not viewable.

Slo-mo likes this.
  8. teuchter

Anyway, while it would be brave of Jim Dickson to engage directly on here, I'm not surprised he doesn't. Why would he, on a site where the moderators ban individual posters from discussing or mentioning certain publicly available journalistic pieces on local issues.

alcopop and Mr Retro like this.
  9. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

sealion and Tricky Skills like this.
  10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

To be accurate Jim Dickson was leader of the Labour Group in a hung council 1994-98. Labour won control in the 1998 election, but ditched Jim Dickson as leader in favour of the nauseating Tom Franklin in 2000.
    PROFILE: Tom Franklin, Lambeth Council - Young gun goes in blazing at Lambeth. Tom Franklin has rolled up his sleeves and is ready to set the council straight

teuchter and Tricky Skills like this.
  11. Gramsci

You know if you and certain other posters are so pissed off with this site you could go off and start your own Brixton forum.

It's been done before. Go on show us all how it should be done.

editor likes this.
  12. Gramsci

Btw you and Mr Retro have got this site for free for years. Unless I'm wrong and you have donated money to the server fund. No adverts. No using your personal info like Facebook. Yet you can't resist a swipe at this site.

editor likes this.
  13. Gramsci

I read this today. This evening went to have a look at the links in article. Of course you are right it's the Urban75 thread Jim is referring to. Yet in article he has no link to the relevant thread nor does he say its Urban75.

As you read this forum Jim I really think if you write an article based on a local website you should put in link to it. Especially as your article is rebuttal of some of the comments/ views expressed.

editor, Sue and Tricky Skills like this.
  14. Gramsci

From Jim's article:

National trends. That is Nu Labour Cllr speak for the Corbyn effect. Last election all local MPs did well. Including Corbyn haters like Chuka.

Jim can't bring himself to mention the "C" word.

15. Gramsci

Jim not mentioning the Corbyn effect partly explains his swipes at people being "ideological". He does this in the case of the parks. People being "ideological" when opposing private events in parks. Saying it's "privatisation". From my reading that's one factor but hardly only reason. Jim in his article is putting forward the old chestnut that the "silent" mainstream majority aren't "ideological" like the park protesters. That he talks to them on doorstep and they, as reasonable people, understand that more events are necessary. It's only those who as he puts it read the minutiae of reports and turn up to meetings who oppose this administration. That's all very well but these people don't represent the silent majority of the mainstream. For the silent majority this Nu Labour administration has produced financial stability and a Council that's not going to go back to the days of the hard left.

For Jim the Labour party isn't ideological. It's believes in common sense "fairness". It's the party of ordinary decent people.

16. Gramsci

My problem with Jim position is that when I have chats on "doorstep" most people I know support Labour party but loath the Nu Labour Lambeth administration.

People I chat to are well aware of library issue and park issue ( they do read Brixton Buzz for example). It's not just as anoraks or those with an "ideological" axe to grind. They might not follow all the details. But they aren't happy.

Jim imo underestimates ordinary people awareness of what happening in local area.

Casaubon likes this.
  17. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Edit cba

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The elections are on 3rd May.

There is no information on Lambeth's website for people wishing to stand as candidates. Maybe they are fed up with independents and want to ensure only the professional Labour, Lib Dem, Tort and Greens are standing?

In any case can anyone say when nominations close - better still give a link showing this on Lambeth's website.

I can only imagine that Lambeth Electoral Services are so traumatised by moving from Kennington Lane to Our Nu Town Hall that they have gone into shock. They had better wake up - only six weeks to go.

19. newbie

newbie undisambiguated

20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

21. teuchter

Gramsci, if you don't like reading what "certain posters" have to say on here, why don't *you* go and start your own forum where you can enforce an even narrower monoculture than here?

That's only a rhetorical question of course - I don't want you to go away because there's plenty of what you write here that I like to read.

The quality and breadth of discussion in the Brixton forum has been going downhill for some time now. I think it's directly as a result of the moderation team's approach. You might disagree. Readers can make up their own mind. But why do you object to me stating a simple fact: posters are selectively banned from discussing or mentioning certain things in a way that is not transparent to all readers? Maybe you think that's just one of those ideologically untidy but necessary things they have to do. But I plan to continue mentioning it now and again until I have a new rule imposed on me that I am not allowed to mention anything in any way related to anything to do with anything about urban75, or whatever they come up with next.

That's my public service announcement over - now we can continue discussing Lambeth Labour.

T & P and Mr Retro like this.
  22. Gramsci

I know you think you are fighting the good fight here to defend free speech from ideologically motivated people who want to impose a "monoculture" on Brixton forum. But no I don't agree thats happening here.

Your little dig at Brixton forum in post 68 was uncalled for. No one on this thread had done anything to provoke that little outburst.

If anything the culture here is more middle of the road than the politics forums. And more middle of the road than the views of lot of people I know offline in Brixton area. So no I don't see a problem here for posters.

I get plenty of "monoculture" from everyday media. I come on Urban (not just this forum) to get a left of centre viewpoint.

editor likes this.
  23. teuchter

Actually my "dig" was at Jim Dickson for responding to comments on here from his own blog - instead of coming and engaging directly.

On reflection I decided that wasn't entirely fair, because it would be foolhardy for anyone with a public persona to post on here, for the reasons I mentioned. Why engage in a discussion where your right of reply might suddenly be removed?

24. Gramsci

No one's right to engage in meaningfully engage here is "suddenly" removed to enforce a "monoculture" here.

editor likes this.
  25. Gramsci

In fact Cllrs have come on this site occasionally. They didn't have any problems here.

editor likes this.
  26. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Spare me teuchter's concern trolling and whining :D One of those who created an atmosphere where for a prolonged period Ed could barely even offer an opinion on something happening locally he was concerned about without being subject to a 'tag team' of hostile snipes and derailing.

Where is this culture of people having 'right to reply' removed that keeps getting insinuated? Posters rock up here and say what they want and the banhammer doesn't come out particularly readily. I suspect you're confusing that with people coming on with shit politics or badly thought-out positions, who will get challenged and found out for having shit politics or badly thought-out positions.

Besides, Lambeth Labour will certainly have an easier ride here on the Brixton forum than P&P ;)

Gramsci, editor, Sue and 1 other person like this.
  27. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

Let's never forget that when he was leader of the council Jim Dickson used huge amounts of our money destroying the communities of Rushcroft Rd and Clifton Mansions.

Vote for him? I wouldn't cross the road to piss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire.

Edit: I’ve just noticed that the mealy-mouthed cunt is now ‘Joint Cabinet Member for Healthier & Stronger Communities’.

I don’t think Nu Labour does irony, so I’ll just take this as another indicator of their contempt for the people of Lambeth.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Gramsci and Sue like this.
  28. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I'm sure people would be delighted to engage in a full and frank discussion of their politics in P&P. :thumbs:

Gramsci and stethoscope like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

People only get banned/put on mutual ignore as a last resort to ensure that important debates and discussions can continue for everyone else without being constantly sidetracked by personal vendettas. The rules are clear on this.

And for some perspective, the total amount of people to whom this particular ban applies in this forum is one out a total of over 50,000 registered users.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Gramsci likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Couldn't agree more and it perfectly illustrates the point I was making in my last post about threads being disrupted.

And I'm struggling to think of any post that has been removed from this forum for anything other than spam.

To suggest any mod is in the habit of arbitrarily removing posts or stopping people posting is simply untrue.

Gramsci likes this.