1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are DPD the new Citylink of crap, unreliable parcel delivery companies?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Nov 11, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And they've fucked up again. Second time is as many months. The stupid twat of a driver sent me a picture of the entrance to my flat but was unable to press the 'call' button. FFS.

2. Nine Bob Note

Nine Bob Note Prickly Pollster

My DPD driver is supposedly always the same guy, but I think he has a lot of brothers :cool:

3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

DPD are usually pretty realiable, at least in Brum. Hourly deliverly slots, which you pick the day before based on the times a van is usually in the area. Compared to the likes of Hermes they are a zillion times more efficient!

Around here anyway.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Funnily enough, I went out half an hour later and saw a DPD van parked up. I asked the driver did he try to deliver to my address and he said yes. I asked him why he didn't try ringing the bell. He shrugged. I asked him if I could now have the package seeing as I have proof of ID on me. He said no. I slunk off, angrily.

5. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Just had a day's rage as the result of DPD. Sat at home, text received saying the slot when it will be delivered, time comes and goes, three hours later get a text telling me I wasn't in and with a photo of the very top of my fifteen-story block as to where they have left the note saying I was not in. Now I have to beg a day off in the hope that the same thing doesn't happen again.

editor likes this.
  6. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Irony is well sad

My most recent one was a bit of an epic, they managed to not even collect the boxes three days in a row and sent me, each day, a text message saying no-one was in when they called. They were picking up from a shop, which was open all three days at the correct time and had a damn great sign outside saying "open."

When I asked for a refund and told them I wasn't a big fan of being lied to and blamed for failings which were clearly at their end the admin people wasn't in the least surprised, having got the money back I ain't getting taken for a shmuck by that lot again.

7. StoneRoad

StoneRoad RIP Greebo being kinder heckling from the back!

Ordered a pair of lined c*********s online (unable to get the right size in "local" retailers).
    The courier/carrier managed to "disappear" the package for more than a couple of weeks, I claimed for non-delivery ... and a few days later, a neighbour said they had them, but the package wasn't anything like what I had ordered !
    Fail all round ...
    {in the end I got the item, correctly sized, by visiting another retailer, more than 50 miles away !}

8. Pair of lined cunnnnnnnts?

9. SaskiaJayne

SaskiaJayne Rural Guerrilla

Have to say Hermes has always worked for me. Sent stuff I sold on ebay & it has always arrived on day 3. Friend wanted to send a large parcel to Australia. Royal mail wanted £60odd so we tried Hermes for £32. I’d never used them for abroad before but it arrived in Oz in 8 days.

10. agricola

agricola a genuine importer of owls

Managed to beg a day off, arranged for a delivery to the local collection point rather than my house, walked around there in the pissing rain, found that DPD had taken it upon themselves to split one delivery of two boxes into two deliveries of one box each. One box being still at the depot, so hopefully I have to walk around there again at some point in the afternoon - which they couldn't commit to.

Fumed home.

A380 likes this.
  11. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

I think there must be a huge amount of local variation (which says something about the management of the organisation as a whole). Here in ruralest Wales, standards are generally good, but DPD are a smidgen better than the rest.

That said, we had some ludicrous antics with Parcelfarce before Christmas, with a delivery promised on two occasions and which didn't turn up. When the driver did come, on 23rd December, he said that had been overloaded with deliveries he simply hadn't had time to make, and had carried our parcel from Swansea to Pembroke and back twice...and that he had been working until 11pm the previous night. I suspect a lot of this fucking around comes down to local managers imposing impossible numbers of deliveries on drivers, and them then finding "creative" (or not-so-creative) solutions to the problem.

12. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

DPD just brought a parcel to me - first they rang the buzzer but didn't say who they were. I did buzz them in as this is what the postie does so I thought it was him. Then I heard someone outside the door but they didn't knock. Eventually I manage to hear a voice say 'i' ll leave this here then '. It was all a bit odd.

13. NoXion

NoXion Give me space communism or give me death

It was a few months ago now, but my current computer was delivered by DPD. Unlike the previous computer which showed signs of damage and required a minor repair job, it arrived in pristine condition. Although I do have wonder how much of that is down to having been better handled this time around, and how much was down to the PC being better packaged and/or slightly smaller in volume.

Most of this shit I would blame on greedy and incompetent management that puts needless pressure on delivery drivers because MUH PROFIT MARGINS. Said pressure would explain stunts like claiming that the addressee wasn't in, when they didn't even bother knocking on the door.

existentialist likes this.
  14. Looby

Looby Well-Known Member

When my student finance came on Friday I ordered a dress and some other stuff from ASOS on next day delivery. I confidently awaited the arrival by DPD as they’re consistently brilliant here. Then the email arrived to say that Hermes were delivering my parcel and my little heart sank. All day Saturday I waited for my stuff. Contacted ASOS who said it had been dispatched and was due for delivery before 10pm. Contacted Hermes who wouldn’t speak to me so I had to do a web chat which was basically me asking the same questions over and over again for 20 minutes and them saying ‘please allow 24 hours for delivery’ and ignoring my point that the next two days were a Sunday and bank holiday and actually the stuff I ordered was for NYE.

Nothing Sunday and no call back as requested and obviously nothing Monday. Yesterday I came home and the fucking parcel is here. The courier apparently didn’t even knock on the door, he just threw the box into the porch and legged it. This is apparently because he’s scared of my dogs, who are behind a locked door.
    This is the same courier who left a small tv on my door step in my unlocked porch once.

I’ll have to return the dresses now as there’s no occasion I’ll need them for before September as they’re heavy ish and not spring/summer appropriate and just like every other year, I plan to be 4 stone lighter by then.

I’ve emailed ASOS begging them never to use Hermes again as I genuinely love the reliable, punctual and obsessive communications of DPD.

TLDR- Bloody fucking cunting Hermes bastards.

15. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Parcels 2 Go, or as I have decided to call them, Arseholes 2 Go.

Ordered a pair of boots on 11 Dec. When they hadn't arrived by last week, I contacted the seller who said
    "Parcels2Go say they delivered them on 14th Dec".
    Me "No, they didn't".
    Seller "They now say they delivered them to a neighbour".
    Me "I've checked both my next door neighbours, nothing delivered".
    Seller "They say they left the parcel at number *"
    Me "Number * isn't a neighbour, they're half a dozen doors away, and anyway they don't have my parcel"
    Seller "..." TBC

16. existentialist

existentialist Spartacus? No, never heard of him.

I've probably said this before, but I have said to suppliers before "Can you promise me that you are not going to use [x - it was usually CityLink] as your carrier? Because if you are, I'm cancelling this order now.". It didn't always work, but it did often enough to be useful. And woe betide them if they used that carrier anyway...

17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Latest is "we've got a signature from the courier, which shows it was delivered".
    Me: "it's illegible. It could just be a squiggle by the driver".
    Seller ".........."

equationgirl and agricola like this.
  18. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I had a good experience with DPD over the holiday period. I bought something, paid for next day before 10:30 am delivery, got my text that Lee would deliver it between 09:30 and 10:30 and about 10am he was here and delivered it. :)