Archery

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016' started by bi0boy, Aug 10, 2016.

1. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Watching this atm. The bows are taller than the participants! They're allowed so many balance things on and widgets it's ridiculous. Another sport disappearing up its own arse.:thumbs:

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  2. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

Yeah. They should have to fell an elm tree and pluck the guts from a cat to fashion their own bows first.

Yuwipi Woman and bi0boy like this.
  3. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Is this even a bow any more:

[​IMG]

Perhaps all that gubbins levels the playing field and it makes it a far truer test of strength, dexterity and skill compared to a normal bow?

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

They should all have to dress up as Robin Hood too.

5. maomao

maomao 四月她爹

It's just balances and sights. They're not allowed compound bows in the olympics. They still have to pull a lot of weight.

6. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I used to do traditional archery. At one time I had an Olympic coach offer to train me. I looked at the cost of equipment and travel and said "no thanks." One of those composite bows, with several different stabilizers, and other equipment can run more than my last car. Most shooters have more than one bow and setup. So you're talking real money to the average person. Its not accident that most of the westerners who shoot in that class are posh. I decided to stick with my 45 lb recurve bow that I got at a garage sale and handmade arrows and quiver.

bi0boy likes this.
  7. Yuwipi Woman

Stabilizers do add a lot of accuracy to your shooting. I think a true test of skill is working with your basic longbow, wood arrows, and not much else. I admit that I'm biased because that's the class I shoot in. Different organizations have varying rules for what equipment is allowed.

I've been rooting for the Bhutanese. They actually have to up their equipment list and shorten their shooting range to get to Olympic style shooting rules.

bi0boy likes this.
  8. Yuwipi Woman

Haven't quite done that, but I've made my own arrows, and bowstring from waxed linen.

9. Billie Gates

Billie Gates New Member

Thats awesome you make your own bowstrings how is it done?

10. Yuwipi Woman

You make a jig with nails on it to hold the string. Then you take waxed linen and wrap it around the posts on the jig a number of times. When you get enough linen to make the string on the jig, you twist it, wax it, and then tailor it to your bow. It's more complicated than that, but that's the essence of it. Here's some more information:

Untitled Document

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  11. Pingu

Pingu Credo

had a go at shooting a 90lb warbow the other week... ..yeah right that wasnt happening