1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for Grad School

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Yuwipi Woman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

Anyone have any advice? I'm currently asking people for letters of recommendation and they aren't the usual source for grad school recommendations. Since I'll be a non-traditional student, I've asked previous employers and coworkers to write letters. Anyone have any idea what should be in such letters? None of the people I've asked have ever written one.

The field is going to be Library Science with an emphasis on digital technology.

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. Idris2002

Idris2002 this prim barbarism

Check your PMs.

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  3. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Does grad school mean University?

kittyP likes this.
  4. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

Another Urban75 librarian. Wow! :thumbs:

5. Yuwipi Woman

Yes. I have a BFA. Looking to get into a Master's program.

6. Yuwipi Woman

Urban does seem to have a "type." :D

7. Orang Utan

Ah, post graduate degree? Do you go to a separate institution to study them in the USA?

8. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

But we do that here too, Orang Utan. That is, one *could* do a degree and then a librarianship/info science post grad at the same place, but it's sort of more fun to traipse across the country to another windy and rainy place. Actually, now that I stop to think about it, perhaps that didn't really make sense. Oh well, I haz no time machine. :)

9. Yuwipi Woman

Yes, I believe doubling up on degrees from one uni is called "inbreeding." I've seen it done, but its discouraged.

10. Orang Utan

But is it an institution that you only do postgraduate degrees at? Or is it just a normal university that does bachelor degrees too?

11. Yuwipi Woman

I have two general concerns:

* I'm not certain I qualify for grad school. My degree is 35 years old and in another field--fine arts, with minors in English and Geology. Can you switch to a totally different field between undergrad and Masters programs?

* I worry that I won't get in. My grade point average was only 3.2. The program claims their average student has a 3.6 as an undergrad. I do have some other coursework from a community college which are transferable to a uni. My gpa for those are a 3.9. If you add those two together, it may or may not add up to a 3.6.

12. Yuwipi Woman

Yes, its a normal uni where you can get bachelor and master's degrees. It's an out of state university (a land grant school at a neighboring state), but they have branch classes at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. The degree would technically be from the other university.

Pickman's model and Orang Utan like this.
  13. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

I think it's just a another instance of being divided by a common language. :)

As in "going to grad school" doesn't imply going to an university that ONLY does postgraduate stuff. It seems the equivalent of us in UK saying "going to do some postgraduate study".

(Or I could be talking nonsense. All woozy in the head 'cos not enough sleep).

14. mrs quoad

mrs quoad usage breakfast sausage breakfast sa

Have you found a programme you're interested in?

If so, contact the contact person on their contact pages.

Grade inflation is well recognised as a phenomenon in the U.K., and one that allegedly has nothing to do with the waves of die hard self loving hipster party animals that now festoon our lecture theatres.

And mature students bring something very different to the table - your brain might be dying slowly, festooned in a puddle of ever encroaching crust; and it is likely to lack the flexibility and spark of your younger peers. But you have life experience, professional experience, maturity, and possibly even a work ethic. And are likely to be there for reasons other than not really knowing what else to do after you've finished your Bachelors programme.

OBVIOUSLY, none of that is entirely serious (in case that ever becomes traceable to me), but there is a broader point there. Entry requirements aren't set in stone, and your qualifications and other experiences are highly relevant.

Speaking to the entry person is by far the best way of assessing your chances.

15. Idris2002

I know someone who has a Ph.D. but neither an MA or a BA - she was the last generation of nurses to come up through the old system where you learnt on the job.

equationgirl and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

good luck! :)

equationgirl, bimble and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  17. muscovyduck

muscovyduck too school for cool

I'm currently in my final year of a bachelors degree and this year my class was joined by a mature student who had graduated a couple decades beforehand, but is now resitting their final year to get the grades they need to get onto the masters they want. Might not be an option or be necessary in your circumstances though?

18. Yuwipi Woman

Yes, that would be an option. I'm going to apply to the program I like and see what happens. I can always reapply after fixing any deficiencies.

I dug into their website a little bit and I may not be as odd a choice as I originally thought. Some of their students come from Arts and Humanities background and some from an IT background. I come from both.

Celyn, equationgirl and muscovyduck like this.
  19. Gerry1time

Gerry1time pities the neurotypical

I did another masters a couple of years ago, breaking the apparent inbreeding rule by now having three degrees from the same uni. It was extremely competitive to get into, basically a very academic version of an MBA, and they were accepting people on it who didn't even have undergraduate degrees. What mattered more was the interview process, what it looked like you'd bring to the cohort, and the type and degree of work / life experience you had. Was all the better for taking this approach to who to accept, was a properly awesome two years of study. So yes, there can be very competitive post-grad degrees out there that don't just look for a certain undergrad degree, classification or GPA.

20. equationgirl

equationgirl I can bend, I can break, I can shift, I can shake

I did my degrees at the same place, never knew it was discouraged.

muscovyduck likes this.
  21. equationgirl

equationgirl I can bend, I can break, I can shift, I can shake

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  22. petee

petee i'm spartacus

good degree, burgeoning field. i know something about it. will you be staying in your area?
    in the letters get people to say that you can complete assignments on time. that's a concern for graduate departments above anything else.

and of course ...

[​IMG]

23. Yuwipi Woman

It might be more of a US thing.

equationgirl likes this.
  24. Yuwipi Woman

Thanks so much! I'm always pleased by how helpful people on Urban tend to be.

equationgirl likes this.
  25. Yuwipi Woman

I'm hoping to stay in the area. I have an elderly parent I have to check in on fairly often.

Thanks for the suggestion about completing assignments on time. I got a good reference from a supervisor at a previous job. She was so excited to help, that she wrote the letter the same day I asked. I figured she'd need a couple of weeks to find the time, but she took all of six hours.

equationgirl and Celyn like this.
  26. petee

petee i'm spartacus

:thumbs:

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  27. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

That's impressive about the reference. Ooh, it's all coming together. :) Best of luck with it all, although it doesn't seem that "luck" is needed. :)

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  28. Yuwipi Woman

Yeah, that supervisor always liked me. She called me "my calm one". When I left she told me that if I ever wanted to come back to let her know.

equationgirl and Celyn like this.
  29. Celyn

Celyn Well-Known Member

"Calm One". :D I love it. If you're the one who efficiently gets stuff done while others are doing the headless chicken thing, that's great. I think we can be sure that you have a bloody fantastic reference there. :thumbs:

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  30. Idris2002

Attention Yuwipi Woman

"It's a sad and cruel existence" - just like real life, in other words.