Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Dec 19, 2017.

1. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Meh. As scandals go, it's pretty tame - no Dieselgate - and you could make much the same complaint about OS upgrades targeting new phones slowing down older ones. But again, it would be largely misguided.
    Interesting. How did you approach them? I was thinking of asking in their shop.

2. mauvais

Book an appointment at the Apple Store. Also apparently there is something in the settings menu now that reports battery health, but I don't have a phone myself to tell you where.

3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

If it fails the battery test, yes. The offer is on all this year, so if your battery is fine at the moment, I'd leave it for as long as possible to get as much longevity out of your current battery before replacing it.

You need to go to an Apple Store, or post it in to them.

4. cybershot

We're still waiting for that.

paolo likes this.
  5. mauvais

She said she saw it, and it seems to be in iOS 10.2.1, but I'm an Androidist, so I don't know. This was last week.

6. cybershot

Theres the thing that shows you what's eating your battery, but not the health of the battery, if that makes sense. Should be coming in an update at some point.

paolo likes this.
  7. mauvais

Whatever it is, it reported that a battery service may be required.

8. cybershot

That's this: If you see

Not This: A Message to Our Customers

9. mauvais

Ah, fair enough. I suppose it's enough to get you an appointment.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

I went into their Oxford Street store expecting to be told to naff off, but they didn't care where I bought the phone (I mumbled something like "I think I got it from Amazon..."). All that mattered to them that was from the EU and thus eligible for a free repair.

Incidentally, they told me that if the phone's battery health was showing as under 70% they'd replace it for free. It was showing 79% but they changed it anyway.

paolo likes this.
  11. cybershot

12. 8ball

8ball Can be a bit of a git sometimes

By "Apple employees" they're not, of course, talking about the people who make the phones...

NoXion likes this.
  13. cybershot

No, but it's a nice little bonus for some those youngsters working in a retail store, something you rarely see for people on the shop floor these days. All that clapping is paying off.

14. editor

editor hiraethified

15. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Posted this elsewhere. Realise this is the more pertinent thread.

Phone call today. My battery arrives next Wednesday.
    I’ve booked a Thursday slot.
    Previous consultant told me (in the shop) that they hold batteries for you for 5 days.

Confirmation of my slot says this:
    So 5 days has pretty much gone to 0 days because it seems loads are saying oi change my battery. Apple are saying fuck you if you can’t make your appointment, someone else will have it.

Initial request was submitted 10th January. 15 days to arrange the repair from start to finish.
    Does that seem reasonable insomuch as I’ll only be without a phone for 2 hours. Previously you posted your phone somewhere and it took a week to get back to you.

16. cybershot

I’ve known people go to the store and get it done then and there.

17. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

Well, took my 6s into the Apple store last week to get battery replaced. It has needed charging more than once a day and was really sluggish at times. Expected to pay 25 quid. They said it would actually be a free battery replacement due to serial number indicating it being one of a batch that might have suffered unexpected shutdowns. (Mine hadn't.)

Anyway, they couldn't actually get the battery out so gave me a new 6S. Which was nice...

editor and paolo like this.
  18. xenon

I had to book an appointment. Took about an hour, I played with a MacBook whilst waiting.

cybershot likes this.
  19. xenon

I'm a bit ashamed to say, Felt a bit weird being without a phone for 2 hours. Well a bit longer, it wanted to do an iOS update when I left the store. I couldn't check the time, bus arrivals, browse Urban, call anyone, listen to music at the bus stop.. It was hell man. :facepalm: :D

editor likes this.
  20. Gromit

Bet I’m not so lucky.

21. Gromit

OK i was as lucky.

God knows how long all my apps will take to download. Part of me wishes i'd iTune(d) em all onto my Laptop but shiny unscratched, free of chipping new phone and a new 1 year warranty. Really can't grumble.

If i can go another 27 months on this phone (like the last one) then 54 months for what i paid is turning into value for money and a new record for length of time keeping a phone.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  22. cybershot

23. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

How do you milk sheep?

Release a new iPhone.

24. cybershot

Support document has also been updated. Apparently the 8, 8plus and X manage this better than previous models! Time will tell.

iPhone Battery and Performance

25. cybershot

The battery health feature in settings is now available in iOS 11.3.

E707EC05-BCBE-478C-9768-DCCBB5A299A0.png

26. Gromit

Yeah. I spotted that.
    As per usual I'll wait a week or two for news reports of how stable this release is before installing.

27. cybershot

28. editor

editor hiraethified

29. cybershot

Has anyone had a battery replaced recently at an apple store? Do they do it same day? I don’t really want to get my OH to book an appointment at the Birmingham one and be told needs to come back as it’s not easy for her to get too and also doesn’t have a spare phone to put sim into. It’s for an iPhone 6s would rather get some more mileage out of it than upgrade this year.

In other battery related news iOS 13 will apparently ‘learn’ your charging routine. So for example. If you charge every night it will charge up to 80% fairly quickly and then stop charging. Doing the final 20% for before you usually unplug it. Apparently this will help reduce battery wear and tear.

I assume this learning either takes a while or can be customised. Which knowing apple will just be on or off. Not sure I’d be pleased taking out a phone that I needed a full days charge with and it was barely over 80%

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  30. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

I had my 6s battery replaced there a couple of years ago, just took a couple of hours.

cybershot likes this.