Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Dec 19, 2017.

1. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

Just found a guy in Bristol who will replace a 6s battery for 40 quid. Sounds a bit too good to be true but has decent reviews.

I don't want a new IPhone this year. The 6s does everything I need already.

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Wait a little longer and Apple will do it for £29

It’s my plan.

Then I need someone local to do my screen on the cheap. It suffered a crack on NYE.

But I’m in agreement. 6s does everything I need a smart phone to do so why pay loads for a newer phone.

xenon likes this.
  3. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Indeed, the only people complaining about this are those who don’t understand how batteries and phone architecture works or those who don’t own an iPhone anyway...

4. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Even if that were so, it still means that at a minimum Apple caused a giant PR disaster by not informing users of the detail of this 'feature'. Its up to Apple to minimise misconceptions because they do not have the luxury of simply writing off a chunk of their users as too ignorant about technical architecture. And tech companies should know by now that performance is one of those areas that people can feel cheated about, and so at a minimum you have to be open about certain things so there is less chance of a stink leaking out later.

keybored and editor like this.
  5. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Apple should have managed the PR of this better but consumers have responsibility too...

6. editor

editor hiraethified

Whether it was Apple sneakily fucking up the phone to encourage you to buy the latest and greatest model or an altruistic act to keep your phone working as best might be down to how much you *heart* the company. I'd be fucked off if any phone I had was intentionally being slowed down without me knowing about it, and I'd be deeply suspicious that it was their way to get me to buy their new model.

The fact that this performance crippling 'update' was timed to coincide with the release of the new iPhone 8 doesn't exactly shine the most flattering light on the world's richest company.

7. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I think the one thing they may have vastly under estimated, was just how many people's batteries were fucked so quickly.

We've already talked about how to best maintain the battery, so I'm not going to go over old ground, but with so many of us using phones as sat navs, and play games, these activities seriously heat up the phone, worse so in a case. A lot of people will probably say they don't game, but how many people do you know with kids that will pass over their phone when having a sit down meal and what not to keep them occupied.

It's been a PR disaster. Quite looking forward to the update that shows battery health, it's always vexxed me that the only way to check this has been to get it done by a 'genius' at an apple store.

paolo likes this.
  8. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Before that phones were shutting down randomly at, say, 40% battery.

If fucking up a phone increases brand loyalty and sales, they would have left it as it was. Maybe made it die even sooner - make it totally shit after just a year.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

But that's weird because I can't recall any recent smartphones I've been using starting to randomly shut down when there was still 40% battery. Did yours?

10. xenon

xenon A move in any direction

Responsibility for what? Apple should have been transparent about this from the off. A slowing phone with no explaination looks like it just can't run the latest OS, hence better upgrade. That's why I assumed older phones slowed down.

editor likes this.
  11. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

The issue kicked in with the iPhone 6S as I understand it. I’ve never had one, or later models.

12. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

13. editor

editor hiraethified

Was it that much of an issue though? I don't recall reading any mainstream news stories about millions of iPhone users all having random mystery shutdowns :hmm:

14. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

My missus took her phone to the Apple Store to have its battery replaced, because it was misbehaving and shutting off. Not only did it now cost £25 instead of £70ish, but because they found it to be swollen, and I guess this:
    they gave her a brand new iPhone 6.

paolo likes this.
  15. mauvais

We have loads of older Samsung devices - the S4 and so on - for app testing, and some of them do this.

16. editor

editor hiraethified

If you've got an S4 you can just replace the battery for about £7. Boom! Problem solved.

17. mauvais

We don't care, they're test devices and it wouldn't be worth filling in the expense form, but the point is that batteries have exhibited this behaviour for some time.

18. editor

editor hiraethified

Hardly a surprise then if you're using the original battery of a phone released way back in April 2013 that was designed to have its batteries replaced.

I had an S4 for years and never experienced this problem. But then I changed the batteries.

19. mauvais

The iPhone 6 is only a year later, and it makes no real difference whether they're user-removable or not, they're chemically the same.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

I still don't recall any widespread mass problems reported for Samsung phones all crashing at 40% battery life. I don't recall any for the iPhone either.

21. mauvais

22. editor

editor hiraethified

Hardly the headline grabbing avalanche that other iPhone problems have created though, is it? Most of those actual problems have threads running into the hundreds and thousands.

PS In that list you just linked to, the problems are all occurring at different battery charges, right down to 10%.

But its OK, You think Apple are slowing phones down to 'help' their users and not to push them onto their new model. I'm not so sure,

23. mauvais

Perhaps not, and yet, it clearly does exist, so Apple chose to do something about it.

24. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

25. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Yes. Unless the original release announcement was a lie, the user reports leading up to it were lies, the recent benchmarks were lies, and the subsequent price drop on battery replacements and reveal by Apple were smokescreens colluding with the independent benchmarks, to further the lie.

mauvais likes this.
  26. mauvais

Look, I have no love for Apple - they have made my life difficult of late for a number of particularly dull reasons. But again, they completely replaced my wife's out-of-warranty iPhone 6 for £25, so I'm personally struggling to see how this evil scheme of obsolescence is going to work out for them. In fact, my S7 needs a new battery and I expect to have a much worse experience with Samsung.

27. editor

editor hiraethified

In a secretive way that made customers far more inclined to shell out for a new model. Nice.

28. editor

editor hiraethified

For the record, Samsung recently unexpectedly gave me a brand new screen, motherboard and battery for my eBay bought, Austrian-sourced, over one year old S7. And they did it all in a day. I have to say I expected nothing like that level of service, so you may be surprised.

mauvais likes this.
  29. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I can't even find a price to have the battery done on my S8 officially. It's not needed yet, but I use it plugged in as a sat nav a fair bit which is not great for batteries.

30. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

So can I get a new battery installed in my 6s for £25? Whats the easiest/quickest way to get this done?