Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Dec 19, 2017.

1. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

It apparently was a few mins ago when you said it was likely to drive people
    to buying a new phone.

If the difference is measurable but not (or barely) perceptible, random shutdowns would be far more likely to draw criticism on this front.

<whataboutery incoming>

2. editor

editor hiraethified

I've no problem with the technical idea, but keeping it secret makes people think that their phone is so much slower than their friend's new iPhone, so it's time to upgrade to get the decent performance they paid for in the first place.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

Surely 'random shutdowns' would only occur when the battery is nearly exhausted?

4. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

You would more likely need to compile stats since it likely kicks in and out on a millisecond by millisecond basis.

And the monitoring would likely cause its own slowdown.

Cock-up on Apple’s part not having the battery to cope with the processor drawdown, really, and they should have been transparent about it.

5. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Did you actually read the stuff you quoted, or were you in full-on ‘Apple Red Mist’ mode? :D

6. editor

editor hiraethified

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the fall out fromn this resulted in Apple - and all the other manufacturers - having to offer versions of their phones with removable batteries?

Yeah, well I can dream....

skyscraper101 and fishfinger like this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

I did read it. But you brought up these random shutdowns. Tell me more about them.

8. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

The max voltage of the battery drops as it ages, meaning the current drawdown from the processors in the iPhone 6 onwards can reduce the operational voltage low enough that it shuts down (from about 40% down according to geekbench). Hence the battery management measure by Apple (that's the leading theory, but is supported by Apple acknowledging this exact random shutdown feature earlier this year).

If the slowdowns are not significant on a human timescale, that doesn't fit the 'planned obsolescence' narrative.

The lack of transparency about it is the most rubbish thing imo. Media management stuff.

edit: Seems Apple have admitted the reason for the throttling:

Apple Sued After It Admitted It Slows Down Older Phones

paolo likes this.
  9. Enviro

Enviro Make your assessment

My Samsung Galaxy S2, which I've had for about 6 years, has a removable battery. I just bought a new one for it actually and now I don't need a new phone for at least another year or two :D

newbie and editor like this.
  10. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

11. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

I think that you'll be dreaming for a while.

12. editor

editor hiraethified

Yes. Blame the consumers for not just settling for an under performing phone.

muscovyduck likes this.
  13. editor

editor hiraethified

That's some drop:

muscovyduck and NoXion like this.
  14. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Given how litigious the US is, this is gonna be very interesting. Plus the terrible PR.

15. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Doesn't seem to match any of the more credible tests done (though yeah, big drop).

16. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Modern CPUs alter their frequency all the time based on load. It might well be exactly as purported in the image but I wouldn't count on it.

17. mauvais

Here you go, from my S7. Can't be arsed to resize it so enjoy enormovision:

Screenshot_20171222-135310.png

18. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

mauvais Which app is that from?

19. mauvais

'System Info for Android' by Electric Sheep

paolo likes this.
  20. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

OMG SUE THEM IMMEDIATELY

keybored and mauvais like this.
  21. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm struggling to work out what point it is you're trying to make here...

22. mauvais

Up your CPU frequency and see if that helps you figure it out.

23. editor

editor hiraethified

Why would I do that?

24. mauvais

Well, it's got to be better than asking me to restate what I think is an already obvious point.

What do you think the image in the tweet you posted shows?

25. editor

editor hiraethified

Good summary here:

26. editor

editor hiraethified

The accompanying text stated that his phone had recently become very slow, something that has been confirmed by other people and other tests. That is the point, no?

27. mauvais

What did you mean by the words, 'that's some drop'?

28. editor

editor hiraethified

If he was doing like for like tests - which would appear to be the context for the tweet - then that was indeed some drop in performance. Can't see why you're finding that so hard to understand.

29. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Going by the multimodal benchmark data, it wouldn't mean very much, though.

30. mauvais

I'm not the one that can't understand it though am I?

What might cause the displayed frequency of the CPU to change between tests, other than a fiendish plot by Apple?