Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Dec 19, 2017.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

Well, this is nice.

Apple reduces speed of iPhones as batteries wear out, report suggests

2. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

3. editor

editor hiraethified

ChrisC likes this.
  4. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Nice to see their on the ball.

bubblesmcgrath and moon like this.
  5. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

6. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

What about iPads etc???

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

It sounds like its an iOS thing to make sure that batteries still stay powered on whilst their batteries degrade. So I would imagine its probably in both iPad and iPhone.

Its clearly not malicious, but of course, everyone will portray it as such.

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  8. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Your battery gets a bit rubbish, so the phone slows down a bit ensuring you can still get though a day without having to recharge.

This is a terrible problem... why, exactly :confused:

Kid_Eternity likes this.
  9. keybored

keybored #NeverUseTheInternetAgain

Maybe "not malicious", but mendacious all the same. A more transparent way of doing this would be to notify the user when the battery is failing and offer options to drop performance to compensate.

NoXion and muscovyduck like this.
  10. sim667

100%, but I can see why they may have been reluctant to do that, as iOS has grown its become quite weighed down with options, something they've been criticised for.

There are some things that really piss me off in iOS now, but I'm not willing to change and lose all my apps, or relearn another phone OS.

11. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

So if I have an iPad that is always connected to a power source why should it be slowed?

NoXion likes this.
  12. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

It probably isn't, although I haven't read up on this.

13. PaoloSanchez

PaoloSanchez Well-Known Member

Because...Apples are evil. They are responsible for bringing sin into this world.

14. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Yep. The issue is not being transparent. From a technical standpoint, it’s got merit. But they absolutely should have made it clear.

NoXion and editor like this.
  15. sim667

Thats a very specific instance, has it actually slowed?

16. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

17. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut ... the Great.

18. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I remember people complaining that they noticed their phones slow down around the time a new model came out. Did anything approaching evidence ever come from that?

19. skyscraper101

I’m sure the fact that it helps encourage people to upgrade their old slow phone to a newer iPhone model has nothing to do with it either.

:hmm:

muscovyduck, Enviro and editor like this.
  20. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

My iphone has recently started losing its charge at a very fast rate - very annoying.

21. skyscraper101

So is it true to say that that getting a new battery in an old iPhone will increase performance as well as battery? And perhaps we shouldn’t all be upgrading so frequently?

editor likes this.
  22. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

My devices would sometimes go kaput just before the warranty ran out. I wouldn’t put it past the fuckers. I’ve worked for them before and they were the biggest cunts I’ve worked for. Cupertino is like a sect. They drive you like slaves and don’t even let you speak to your own colleagues in bars about what you’re working on. I went in an apple fan and came away actively despising them and swearing I’d never buy another of their products. They pay well but god forbid you ever put it on your CV that you worked there. They scan LinkedIn profiles and if it’s there you’re out and legal action will follow.

If Cupertino’s that bad imagine their production line in other countries.

NoXion, scifisam and editor like this.
  23. cupid_stunt

I went for a job interview at the local Apple store, all was going well until they asked me what my favourite Apple product was, and I replied 'cider'.

*grabs coat.

24. editor

editor hiraethified

Because the net result is that it's likely to drive people into buying a shiny new phone thinking that their's has irretrievably slowed down, rather than it being a fixable non-problem created by Apple.

muscovyduck and NoXion like this.
  25. editor

editor hiraethified

Exactly. Everyone knows that battery life goes down over the lifecycle of a product, but it would fucking annoying when your phone starts slowing down for no apparent reason because of Apple's behind the scenes shenanigans.

26. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Yes. And a replacement battery is a fraction of the cost of a new phone.

Hopefully Apple will do an update to iOS so people can see when the battery saving feature is kicking in... then one can make an informed choice.

NoXion, 8ball and editor like this.
  27. cupid_stunt

At the end of the day it's just another good reason to avoid buying Apple products.

NoXion, existentialist and Enviro like this.
  28. 8ball

8ball Resident Right-Winger

Seeing how this is basically a battery-management measure, would be interesting to know how much this slowdown generally is in reality terms compared to some people's perceptions.

A quick eyeball of benchmark data suggests it is imperceptible compared to the slowdown caused by adding more OS features...

29. editor

editor hiraethified

But that's not the point

30. bemused

bemused Well-Known Member

From my perspective, it seems a reasonable measure to take. However, keeping it hush hush makes them look sneaky.

8ball likes this.