1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple new product rumours and general news

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Mar 15, 2012.

1. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I guess if you can afford a new Mac you can afford some of those wireless SD cards?

2. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Yeah, all part of Apples wireless vision of the future.

One day everything will get there but it's a total pain in the arse while we go through the changeover period.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're slower than a SD slot and burn up your camera's batteries. So I guess you can add 'spare battery' to the list of extras you have to lug around for Apple's wonderful wireless (but dongle-laden) future.

4. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Apologies, I thought you said it several times on this thread but in fact I was just reading your same post more than once, oops.

5. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Apparently apples reason for this is because with modern cameras there's no need for an sd card slot! I assume that means as long as you've bought a camera in the past 12 months it has wifi built in?

6. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

If we're talking SLRs, it depends on the body. For total coverage, there would need to be SD and Compact Flash, and if you start heading down that route (with display ports etc) you end up with a machine with a myriad of different connectors. Which isn't the future.

The transition is indeed going to be messy for many users, dongle city. But once we're there - just one standard port, and widely supported by peripherals - nobody is going to want to go back to the idea of everything having a different port or slot.

But, MagSafe, that's the one I'll personally miss. Hey ho, we'll all have our personal 'step too far' eliminations.

beesonthewhatnow likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But this wonderful vision falls apart because that one single port is going to need many, many adaptors to fit everything in, unless people are just going to throw away everything that isn't wireless or USB-C.

8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I have to say that I've never missed not having an SD slot on my laptop. USB card readers are tiny and you don't use them very often, just when actually downloading photos to a computer. I just carry one which does both SD and CF (because I have cameras that do both) if I've got my laptop and using it has never been an issue.

Losing Magsafe would be annoying... but the worst by far is losing the startup chime. Now _that_ is _sacrilege_ :mad:

9. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I quite like the bold future. As I never will be able to afford a new Mac then fortunately I will be able to get their at a more reasonable pace then Apple puts on their users.

10. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

[​IMG]

So this arrived late last week! So far it's bloody great!

11. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's brilliant :D

13. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Apple put their prices up by £60 on all their older products except the base models last night.

Monday: iPad Pro 256GB - £709
    Tuesday: iPad Pro 256GB - £769

:hmm:

If you're looking to buy an older Apple product, you should do it fast and find a 3rd party retailer who might not yet have put their prices up.

14. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Just been reading about this. Commentary was talking about NAND shortage. The push into the 3D tech is hitting production of the conventional stuff (used in today's mobile devices).

Ouch.