Apple is first $1 trillion public company

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by cybershot, Aug 2, 2018.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

2. Lupa

Lupa .

Oh puke....:p

3. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Fool/money/thread

a_chap likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Disgusting.

5. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

Now down in third place for worldwide smartphone sales though. Still, third place is not bad for a company that apparently has no idea how to even make a functioning charger never mind a functioning phone.

a_chap and editor like this.
  6. bimble

bimble noisy but small

such a big number i don't know what it actually means, but apparently not just me:
    'In British English, a trillion used to mean a million million million (i.e. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000). Nowadays, it's generally held to be equivalent to a million million (1,000,000,000,000), as it is in American English.'

SpookyFrank likes this.
  7. Saul Goodman

Spymaster and bimble like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So rich and so little good done with all their cash.

Chilli.s, a_chap and Lupa like this.
  9. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

A bit more perspective. If you'd invested 50 grand in Apple shares 10 years ago (Dec 2008) your shares would now be worth about a million quid.

I believe there are a couple of current Urbs who did exactly that.

Mazel tov!

10. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Someone on here - I forget who - said Apple were a flop. They’d failed.

alcopop likes this.
  11. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I can remember a few years ago when they just made macs for graphics people and never looked likely to produce a mass market product, just goes to show what some genuinely popular products can do for a company. Apple are no longer niche!

12. Saul Goodman

:D
    I also remember those times. It was a lot more than 'a few years ago' :D

Pickman's model and weltweit like this.
  13. mrs quoad

mrs quoad Well-Known Member

editor is still living them m8, epic:thums:

Saul Goodman and alcopop like this.
  14. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I was in the shop in Regent Street on Friday at the “genius bar”. In the hour or so I was there I was struck by the amount of people purchasing such volume of high value items. Its not hard to see how they have become the biggest. It has to be the best business model for generating cash ever produced

15. Saul Goodman

Preying on gullible people? I think it's despicable. :mad:

Pickman's model likes this.
  16. cybershot

17. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

MickiQ likes this.
  18. addysmith97

addysmith97 Banned Banned

That's nice. they can be the business role model for the next generation businessman.

19. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Why?

Spymaster likes this.
  20. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

Because it's Apple, silly. And massive corporates are supposed to act in the public interest at all times donating their profits to the needy.

Kid_Eternity and alcopop like this.
  21. MickiQ

MickiQ Well-Known Member

Apple is now largely a public (ie shares) owned company there are still a small number of very wealthy shareholders who got in on the ground floor (the richest of them a guy called Levinson has to struggle to make ends meet on a mere quarter of a billion bucks), but most shares are now in the hands of funds and institutional shareholders.
    Amazon is still largely owned and totally contolled by Bezos who is more than 500 times richer than all the top Apple dudes put together.

alcopop and Spymaster like this.
  22. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Yeah weird how the Apple haterz remained utterly silent on Amazon hitting a trillion in market cap...

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just a reminder: mutual ignore means you do not quote my posts or respond or refer to them. Consider yourself tipped off.

24. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The thing with Apple was that they trousered that little bit extra for themselves by refusing to give any money to charity, and despite being seen as the coolest and the most influential brand in the known universe, failed to use their vast fortune to better the lot of anyone in their shitty exploitative supply chain. Samsung and the rest of them are just as bad - they're all cunts really - but none had the influence and cool clout of Apple.

And then there was all that wealth worshipping whooping every time an incremental upgrade to a phone was released.

26. cybershot

27. Saul Goodman

That's about 1 day's profit they've donated to charities in 17 years. Hardly a contender for the Nobel prize :D

It's a shame he didn't live long enough to see that through to fruition. :D

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What an utter cunt.

Yes. Making high end products that most of the world's population could never afford is really going to change the world for the better.

:facepalm:

29. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

What an utter cunt

30. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

:D

alcopop likes this.