Apple iPhone and related items (cont.)

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, Feb 5, 2008.

1. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Indeed. I look forward to OLED filtering down a bit more, but yeah, I need no new features.

P30 has shown that decent battery life is getting there. I'd have loved an S10 for the screen, but a combo of price and battery swung it.

2. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

p.s. I think the main need now is battery life and technology to prolong it.

Apple do have an advantage on the prolonging tech side. Namely the chip doesn't have to worry about the different needs of wide variety of hardware and software products. Just Apple products.

3. Gromit

They are trying their best to create new needs.
    Like the Bothie. Pic from front and back spliced together.
    Now the slomo selfie.
    I'm sure I remember someone else trying to push a new selfie type feature this year.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

No wonder Trump banned Huawei if this is all the innovation Apple can offer.

5. Gromit

It's not Apple's fault that no one else has innovated anything worth stealing and relaunching as their own later on.

romeo2001 and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

That doesn't even make sense. There's been plenty of innovation on other platforms, with Apple notably being 'inspired' by it.

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

No 5G is a killer for me.

8. souljacker

souljacker innit

Very odd that they are putting in 802.11ax wifi but not 5g. If the US carriers had been slow at adopting it I might understand but it looks like the big 4 over there have rolled it out in quite a few cities.

9. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Genuinely, why? You can quite happily stream HD content on a normal 4G connection, what’s the need right now for anything faster?

As for new phones? Meh. I’ve still got a 6s that does everything I need as quickly and smoothly as the day I bought it. It will run IOS13 plus it has Touch ID and force touch. No reason at all for me to upgrade.

As for innovation in phones? That ship sailed ages ago. Until battery tech takes a leap forward it’s all just garnish. We can instantly access pretty much the entirety of human knowledge from the palm of our hands. Not much else to do after that.

pesh, emanymton, xenon and 1 other person like this.
  10. souljacker

souljacker innit

5G isn't just about raw bandwidth. The latency is lower, connection time is quicker, there should be less contention in busy areas and battery consumption will be lower.

11. beesonthewhatnow

Lower battery consumption would be good. But the rest I can honestly say has never been a problem :confused: Latency and connection time? To what?

emanymton likes this.
  12. souljacker

souljacker innit

The contention thing affects most people at some point but the latency and faster connections wouldn't be noticed, no.

Either way, if I'm buying a new phone that I expect to last 2 years or more, I want the latest tech on it. Especially for over a grand!

13. editor

editor hiraethified

Happily there's loads of alternative phones with comparable/better technology for less than a grand.

14. editor

editor hiraethified

No it hasn't. The stunning night camera mode introduced on the Pixel and vastly improved on the Huawei P30 Pro, plus the addition of multiple lens (including the innovative periscope telephoto on the P30) are signs of real, useful innovation. For the first time ever, I now use a mobile phone camera more than my 'pro' cameras.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  15. UnderAnOpenSky

I agree, but tend to think of it as evolution rather innovation. As I mentioned already I also think OLED screens are great step forward.

Last new feature on a phone I use regularly was NFC to pay for stuff.

editor likes this.
  16. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I think the best thing is (and some other phones have this ) is the esim and seperate nano sim which means you can effectively have a private phone and business phone in one.So far EE is the only provider to offer esims but O2 announced yesterday they will be available in a week or so.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  17. editor

editor hiraethified

Oh great. Slo-mo selfies. Essential!

mod likes this.
  18. sim667

Whats the point in spending nearly a grand on a phone that has very little benefits and isn't even ready for the next generation of network?

editor and cybershot like this.
  19. beesonthewhatnow

A better camera isn’t innovation. We’ve had cameras on phones for what, 20 years? They’re always going to get better, that’s just tech.

Innovation is that first camera, the first decent mobile browser, the first mobile payment etc etc

There is fuck all innovation right now. Folding screens! Woooooo!

20. UnderAnOpenSky

Tbf I think folding screens are ground breaking. But we are years away from them just being expensive, fragile toys

editor and emanymton like this.
  21. editor

editor hiraethified

No, you're quite wrong. The machine learning AI on the Huawei/Google phones is real innovation that opens up new creative possibilities that simply weren't there before. For the first time, phones can take better pictures at night than many 'proper' cameras and that is no small achievement.

I always used to take a camera with me when I went out at night, but I don't bother most of the time now. And I'm a photographer. I'd call that innovation.

22. editor

editor hiraethified

Because Apple.

23. Gromit

I’m glad it doesn’t have 5g. No temptation to upgrade from my 10Xs.

24. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Have they fixed the issue with geting stuff off the phone with a USB lead? beucase if not i wont get another one.

fucking alwyas been shit for that.

editor likes this.
  25. sim667

Do people even still plug smart phones into a computer anymore?

26. sim667

Annoying, I would like a new phone, I'm heavily invested in the apple eco system and don't want to fuck around and lose all my apps and stuff....... but my network is also going to offer 5G very soon, so there's no point in getting a new phone or paying extra for 5G until the phone I want comes out.

I guess I may end up getting one eventually, but I'm not rushing to.

27. editor

editor hiraethified

I do to transfer images off my phone (to supplement the auto cloud backup).

sim667 and Ranbay like this.
  28. Ranbay

Ranbay The same rules apply

Yeah,. me when i back up the photo's of your mum. :thumbs:

sim667 likes this.
  29. sim667

I just have flickr auto upload tbh.

30. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Yes. Means I've got a backup of preferences/passwords on various apps. Have had phone go down before and although it can be restored without a computer backup you do lose a lot of info which needs to be re-entered.

editor and sim667 like this.