Apple for 5 years and want to return to Android

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by Virtual Blue, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I was looking to upgrade to the iPhone 11/ or 11 Pro Max but finding it hard to justify the cost.
    The 11 is just 'okay' and the Pro Max is priced too much for what it is.

I'm liking the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus - it has everything I want in a phone and more.
    My last Android phone was the Nexus 5 and that was years and years ago

I'm balls deep into the iOS ecosystem, have most Apple things except for the shitty Apple Watch, and around 180 GB of data on their iCloud.

If I get the Galaxy Note 10 Plus is it a pain? Would I need to start all over? Can Apple Cloud be linked to an Android device? What's the alternative to Apple Cloud? Is it good?

And what about the alternative to Apple Pay and how does it fare>?

Badgers likes this.
  2. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

For what it's worth I was in a very similar situation to you - been using Apple for years and years but couldn't justify the cost of the new iPhone at the time so went down the Android route

I'm now back on Apple - with a new but older model . . . never again

Badgers and Virtual Blue like this.
  3. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

I've toyed with the idea of Android at times..

Badgers and High Voltage like this.
  4. High Voltage

High Voltage In the top 97% of Urban's most interesting posters

Some of the phones look great and a LOT of the pictures that editor's taken on his Android summit are truly stunning - far better than the Apple phone

It's just that they doing work how I want them to work. I'M NOT PREPARED TO LEARN NEW TRICKS EITHER (I know :rolleyes:) and as long as there's a cheaper but older "new" phone option then that's where I'll stick. But I'm NOT forking out a grand for a fucking phone

Throbbing Angel, editor and Badgers like this.
  5. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Not an Apple user, but download the Apple Cloud onto a desktop, and use the Google utility to sync it to your Gmail account.

You can use Google pay everywhere you can Apple.

Badgers likes this.
  6. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

The 11 is pretty good and although not cheap, I don't think it's ludicrously expensive for what it is. The Pro/Pro Max however - I agree they're overpriced for the small added value you get (mainly camera)

That said, there are loads of alternatives on Android to Apple iCloud. Google Photos (which I use anyway on iOS), and Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

Virtual Blue and Badgers like this.
  7. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

I will have another look at the 11.
    I really can't be arsed with a move away from iOS or learn new tricks - this is pure laziness.
    iOS is great for this reason...its at snail pace compared to Android (suits my learning ability :()

8. dessiato

dessiato I have earned the right to sing the blues

I'm in the process of deciding whether to buy an ipad or a Samsung. My wife has a new ipad (one week old) and an ipad 1. The quality and ease of use is fantastic.

I love my Samsung phone. I need a new tablet.

I don't know what to choose so I'll be watching this thread.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  9. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I could maybe sympathise, but the phone you are thinking about moving to is also over a grand, so....

The new cameras on the iPhones are great, even the standard 11 takes stunning photos, so if you don't need the Pro, then the 11 should do the job, and is considerably cheaper, than the other phone you're looking at.

P.S. The Apple watch is fucking great! :p

Virtual Blue likes this.
  10. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Did you upgrade your iPhone X? I think we got ours around the same time.
    The thing that is stopping me in getting the 11 is the display - I'm so use to the X's OLED screen...I read the 11 is a bit of a downgrade.

As for the Apple Watch, I'm old school (but I was very wrong with the Airpods - they're great).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    8ball likes this.
  11. friedaweed

friedaweed Sitting down for a wee

I've just upgraded to the S10 and I love the camera. To be honest it's the only thing I care about when I chose a phone and this really is hitting the mark for me. I can't use the Apple OS everyone else in my house is on iScone, it's all wrong, like trying to use a left hander hockey stick to play right handed with.

Leave that bellendry place and come back and join the future on Android brother ;) you know it's right

I got a free set of galaxy buds with mine too which I have become very fond of.

12. dessiato

I bought the ipad today. The Samsung was cheaper but just didn't feel as good. It was a close run thing though. I twice had the Samsung at the cash desk desk, but the ipad...

13. UnderAnOpenSky

From my understand Apple put more work into making a tablet specific OS for iPad then Google do with Android.

Throbbing Angel likes this.
  14. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

Somebody at work was telling me that iOS is the best thing for tablets. What's so good about it?

15. cybershot

I still have the x.

It does everything I want out of it still apart from low light photos. The battery isn’t as good as it was on day one but still easily gets me through a day even with some heavy usage while travelling on train and using AirPods for 2 hours a day min.

I’ll wait until next year. The 11’s not having 5G was the main problem. I couldn’t justify throwing close to a grand on a handset without it really if only to futureproof myself somewhat as there is no way I can afford to upgrade every year.

I seem to go for a 3 year cycle currently and would like to try and keep it that way.

In terms of the screen my OH has the 11 standard and from my point of view I think I could live without the OLED if it came to it. I might change my mind on excessive use but on the occasional use where I’ve picked it up the screen hasn’t bothered me. It’s clearly a better phone than the x which is nice to see for once to be honest as in previous years you’d probably not notice that much of a difference but it’s much better than the x. so I imagine the pro performs even better.

which also gives me confidence next years handset with the added 5G will be a well worth upgrade from the X.

it’s worth taking into account if you get the Samsung online or whatever you have your 14 day cooling off period. If you hate it. Which I think you might because I think you’ve tied yourself into the Apple eco system too much. Then you can at least get your money back.

if you had said you simply couldn’t afford Apple handset then I’d have said different. Yes there will be short to long term pain getting everything shifted but that’s the price to pay if you can no longer justify the cost.

You can afford to still drop close to a grand so ultimately I think the price vs faff of re doing everything will be too much pain.

Although I’d love to be proofed wrong on this.

ETA: on the plus side 200GB google storage costs the same as Apple and using the google app on the iPhone should transfer all your data quickly and easily. Your AirPods will also work but without the touch features. I guess the main thing after that is how much you’ve spent on premium apps that you’d have to spend again from the google store.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Virtual Blue and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

17. UnderAnOpenSky

18. dessiato

I’ve found a major irritant with my iPad. I cannot send files from one to the other via Bluetooth. Apparently there’s apps that will allow this though.

19. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Can’t you share using Airdrop for that?

20. dessiato

I don’t know. I’d assumed I could send a file directly from my Samsung to iPad via Bluetooth as I’ve done with other devices. From what I’ve been reading you can only transfer files to WiFi or internet connected machines.

21. Don Troooomp

Don Troooomp Condescension and embedded self importance

I have three Android units, the first being a cheap and nasty Samsung I use for satnav and other battery hammering stuff, the second a Samsung Note 9 I use for work (when I'm employed), browsing, and serious stuff, the last is a Samsung Tab S5 I use for most of my internet time, word, and whatever else needs a lot of typing. The keyboard case makes it efficient and easy to use.
    I took a serious look at the ipads before I bought the tab, but they just didn't compare on price, ability, and accessories.

22. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Yeah, the Galactic Wotsit and certain other models definitely have it sewn up if you want really good quality pics from a phone. I’m not big into photography so that’s not a big draw for me.

I wouldn’t personally look at the newest iPhone either - am posting this from a 5s and have no intentions of changing it any time soon. The prices have gone insane and I’m not sure what you get for it.

High Voltage likes this.
  23. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Ah yeah, Airdrop’s an Apple only thing, I think.

24. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Google have pretty much given up on tablets. Samsung keep theirs going, and then there's cheap ones, but that's about it.

25. friedaweed

This is what happens when you enter the daft world of apple.

Virtual Blue and Saul Goodman like this.
  26. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

They call it a walled garden. With sheep keeping the grass down.

Virtual Blue likes this.
  27. friedaweed

Bit like telly-tubby land

Virtual Blue and Saul Goodman like this.
  28. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Never had the need to do that over Bluetooth. Maybe that's a niche requirement for which you'll need to endure the horror of downloading an app. :eek:

29. 8ball

8ball Hetero Sapiens

Is there a wall round the edge of telly-tubby land? :eek:

30. cybershot

google dropping the ball on a project. So very unlike them.