Anyone watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by J Ed, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

Series four is making me laugh really hard. I love it so far.

J Ed likes this.
  2. catinthehat

catinthehat Failed VK = Replicant

The darker it gets the better it gets. I am blatantly in love with Charlie. I sang the Nightman to my students today. Possibly unprofessional. Bit ho curs wi wer hufin glu (Charlie fact).

Favelado likes this.
  3. slightlytouched

slightlytouched Tick Tock.....

I keep meaning to as Jimmi Simpson is in it, whom I have the horn for!

4. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank King of the Rhodes

I love how Charlie can't read or understand simple logic but he can still write and direct a (sort of) coherent musical in a matter of hours.

fogbat likes this.
  5. cypher79

cypher79 Banned Banned

Just finished series 8 and it's been the best so far imo.

6. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

I'm enjoying working through it at a gentle pace - now on series 4. Huffing glue and eating catfood - makes sense to me!

7. Silva

Silva This went well.

Lethal Weapon 6 this week :D

8. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I only have two episodes left.Comedy is now ruined. I was watching parks and recreation alongside, but nah...not now.

9. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

10. stereoisomer

stereoisomer tits and quiche

I love it. But if I watch more than 3 episodes in one go, I start to feel dirty inside

11. butchersapron

12. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

I've seen one or two shows ages ago, thought it was great. Where can I see it now - is it on netflix or something?

13. blairsh

blairsh blancmange

Yes. Watched them all, love it, brutal :-D

14. catinthehat

I was considering having a marathon of series 1-8 but that would be the third time I have seen it and I find series 9 on US Netflix. And its the weekend. Nearly happy here.

15. revol68

revol68 what, fucking what?

Such a good show, some great politics just under the surface too.

Doesn't seem to get much media love, possibly cos middlebrow twats who swing that write it off as puerile.

Danny De Vito is a total legend, you can tell he just loves doing the show.

T & P and catinthehat like this.
  16. Silva

Silva This went well.

It's not exactly an easy subject to write about. The show is a lot darker and complicated than fuzzy CBS sitcoms with a laugh track and a clear cut moral lesson everyone learns.

17. copliker

copliker ...

I can't recall Marx getting a mention in any other sitcom (episode 8 of the last series when Charlie under the control of the 'science bitches' realises that the others have been exploiting him)

tar1984 and Superdupastupor like this.
  18. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

Sweet Dee gets audited was amazing for the political subtext. Charlie and Mac argue with each other over what the size of a crucifix in the bar should be. Meanwhile, when they are distracted with that Frank and Dennis work out financial scams.

19. nomibucha

nomibucha New Member

Its Always Sunny...... is one of the best comedy shows made ever since Seinfeld. Every episode is hilarious, especially the episodes "Charlie wants an Abortion" and "Charlie Goes America All Over Everyone's ***".

20. butchersapron

This, is, literally it. It's over. Can't be bet.

21. Favelado

I've just finished the 8th season. After getting a bit disillusioned with some of it in 6 and 7 (possibly through watching it all in fairly quick succession) I think it hit a purple patch from 8-4 - 8-10. It's had some real laugh-out-loud moments again.

In a popularity poll of the characters, I'm sure Charlie would win the most votes but it's Dee for me. I think shes hilarious. I wish Frank was a bit-part character and not in the gang though. If he turned up twice a series, i'd love him. As it is, I don't think he fits.

eta - Particularly pleased to see Aristotle getting put in his place.

22. catinthehat

Ah the greasy sheen of a McPoyle. I got one of my students a Charlie T shirt (it says Charlie Dey - Local Businessman and Cat Enthusiast) and he practically cried with delight.

iamwithnail likes this.
  23. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

i've just started watching this. on S1E10 or thereabouts.

24. butchersapron

God, wait for the down parts, middle of series 2, you're in. Forever.

fogbat and spanglechick like this.
  25. butchersapron

Article on this. Mentions 'the implication' as an example, which i think is an excellent choice rather than something more overt.

26. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Boat. “Implication”. DARK :eek:

SpookyFrank likes this.
  27. fogbat

fogbat The Talibum

Love it. Think I've reached the start of S3 now on Netflix.

The episode titles alone go further than most sitcoms would.

28. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

rather than 'south park', i see more parallels with 'family guy', i reckon.

29. Favelado

I'm watching Ser 9 Ep1. It's fantastic. I'm so pleased the current stuff is really cutting it. I think it might be a 20 minute dig at Sarah Silverman but I'm not sure!

e2a Oh my god - the ending!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  30. Strawman

Strawman Well-Known Member

Love this show but good god it gets really dark and twisted sometimes (D.E.N.N.I.S system anyone?). I feel so sorry for Charlie, I think he's the only redeemable character if only he could be removed from the group and become friends with a bunch of musical types!