1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone remember the Brixton Evangelist, Brixton tube, 2000?

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 14, 2010.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Yes, and I remember Poundstack, where NOT everything cost a £1.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It morphed into the equally crap Homelook and has been closed for years now.

[​IMG]

4. uk benzo

uk benzo أنا ليس أمريكي

When did Sanders close down and do you know anyone who has been a Sanders customer?

5. boohoo

boohoo Part-time Cat

I remember when it was a jewelers. I was a Saturday girl at H Samuels and Sanders and H Samuels would take the cash to the bank together.

Interesting Sanders fact I heard yesterday - originally they were going to make the clock face for the WW1 war memorial in Stockwell however they wanted their name on the clock face and this wasn't allowed so they didn't make it in the end.

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Actually, they had good cheap duvets in Homelook. I have a 15 tog which I still use.

7. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Was the pictured evangelist a Liverpudlian guy called Phil? If so, Time Out (I think) had a spate of trying to track him down a few years back.

8. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

What WWI memorial in Stockwell? Where's that?

ETA: Oh, you mean the one with poppies and Violet Szabo?

9. Minnie_the_Minx

I remember the guy in the OP.

He's not the one that wore shorts is he or was that a different one?

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He was most definitely a Scouser.

11. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

The guy I'm thinking of is Phil "Sinner or Winner?" Howard. There's loads of stuff about him on the web - the photos look like older versions of the chap in your photo above.

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It certainly looks like him:

[​IMG]

13. Minnie_the_Minx

Definitely

For some reason, I always thought he looked German, although I may be thinking of the one with shorts who reminded me of the Hitler Youth. Wasnt he blonde as well?

14. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I'm sure he is the sinner or winner guy - or at least looks like him. Used to be on Oxford Circus for a long time then started popping up all over the place..

15. Minnie_the_Minx

16. Minnie_the_Minx

17. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

he's deffo the same bloke - i witnessed him behave in a very creepy manner to female commuters at clapham junction once. he seemed to be getting a thrill from telling them they were going to hell whilst showing them a book with crayon drawings of hell in it

18. Griffter

Griffter Well-Known Member

The sinner/winner (eat up all your dinner or you'll a lot thinner) bloke got an asbo issued against him and that's why he had to stop his Oxford Circus rants

19. pk

pk drink flounce rinse repeat

He was an annoying cunt, to be fair... used to hiss "satan" at him whenever I passed him at Ox Circ..

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

I wonder where he's been? Have not seen him round Oxford Circus for a couple of years. :hmm:

22. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

23. Kanda

Kanda Diving wanker

Probably following the wanky hipsters about... ;):)

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Now that would be fun, especially if he went mobile and followed them around on a trendy fixed wheel bike.

25. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men Banned

who gives a shit.

26. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

This is good news. i love this guy. on a side note, i havent seen the 'ignorance is no excuse, the road to hell is wide' guy about for a while. hope hes ok, maybe takin a break from saving our souls.

27. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Seen him at Stratford a few times.

28. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

there was a whole new crew at KFC corner on the weekend proclaiming their love god combined with hatred of white people, particularly justin bieber and simon cowell. this went on at high volume for a good few hours. thinkin of gettin one of those laser pointers.

29. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

30. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

yeh i guess so. they definitely weren't NOI though. about half of the racket was being created by a very shrill woman. which aint exactly NOI style. theyre as sexist as they are racist.