Help Anyone recomend a good cheap(ish) inkjet printer

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by andrewdroid, Oct 29, 2018.

1. andrewdroid

andrewdroid Born before the internet

My Canon pixma died or wont print properly any more. probably as it may have been a few months since it was last used, one printhead wont print properly. I digress
    Looking for something around the £100 to £150 mark to replace it but dont really want to spend a massive amount on inks when I need to refill :facepalm: which isnt that often.
    Every so often I need to do some colour prints. I dont need a scanner (got one) and dont want HP.
    I'm using win 7 so something with good win drivers.
    cheers for any pointers

Pickman's model likes this.
  2. andrewdroid

andrewdroid Born before the internet

Really! no one has a recommendation?

3. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

There are much of a muchness.

Pick any brand, when the ink runs out, buy another cheap one, it usually works out cheaper than buying new ink.

Massive waste of course, I'd urge you to correctly dispose of it at your local council tip/recycling centre.

4. dessiato

dessiato Looking for my shopping trolley

I've got an Epson which has given me excellent service for about four/five years. It's wireless which is very useful, it means I can easily print from iPad, android tablet and phones, as well as the laptop, easily. I use nonEpson ink at 2€ per colour. I'd never go for any printer that doesn't have sepersep cartridges, that's too wasteful, and expensive.

Before you get rid of yours, would it be worth getting a head cleaning kit and trying that? It would be cheaper than a new machine if it works. From memory it's only about £10 for a head kit.

Spymaster likes this.
  5. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I've always had Epson all-in-ones at home and they do the job well enough for what I need. The telephone support is pretty good if you need help. About £40. As Dess says, don't buy their ink though.

dessiato likes this.
  6. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

Epson. Any Epson. The cartridges are cheap compared to most others.
    Don't buy HP. Replacement cartridges cost as much as a new printer.

Throbbing Angel and dessiato like this.
  7. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel it's a very pretty colour this ambulance, isn't it

Seconded

8. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Don’t buy branded ink cartridges full stop.

9. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

I bought some Asda own brand "100% compatible guaranteed" knock offs for my HP printer. They lied. Error messages.

10. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

There are always error messages with non-HP carts. You just have to clock the OK button, and the error is gone.

11. dessiato

The Epson ones give a non-genuine do you want to continue message. Click yes and everything is fine.

12. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

If a head is not working run a maintenance cycle to clean the heads. It's in the cannon print driver.

dessiato likes this.
  13. dessiato

It might need running more than once before it clears.

I'd assumed op had already tried this. You can get cleaning kits too. They claim to be able to clear blockages, but I've no personal experience of using them. A friend says they're ok.