Anyone read 2000AD...?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by nuffsaid, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Kidblast

Kidblast Well-Known Member

No, quite the opposite actually. It's a great topic. I just didn't like the way the OP was abusing it to make some absolutely God awful name drop.

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist specter haunting

I was working- someone rang up to confirm that J-Depp had been confirmed in the area by unrelated witnesses but then later text to say it was actually the pirates of the carribean statue outside of that gadget shop just off market square.

3. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Yeah I got that one.

4. elevendayempire

elevendayempire Registered Loofah

NEMESIS THE FUCKING WARLOCK. When are they going to do a film of that, eh?

There was a copy of one of the stories knocking around in my primary school art department. I read and re-read it obsessively, not having the faintest fucking clue what was going on in it.

5. ATOMIC SUPLEX

It was great but kind of shit after O'neil stopped drawing it.
    Did you know that the first part of the gothic empire (the bit drawn by oneil) was the first Nemesis draw after comic rock before the other 3 previous 'books'

6. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

++ ++ ++ ++ ++

In case anyone is interested, to celebrate the announcement of the forthcoming new Rogue Trooper Redux game, Rebellion are offering all four volumes of the digital version of the original Rogue Trooper stories for only £4.99 each - that's under twenty quid for nearly 1,500 pages of Gerry Finley-Day, Dave Gibbons, Jesus Redondo, Brett Ewins, Cam Kennedy, Chris Weston et al.

They're also offering volume one in paperback for a tenner (this edition often goes for silly money on Amazon).

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/GRN366

7. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

Sorry to bump; I didn't realise Brett Ewins had passed over 2 years ago. Another one of my favorite artists on the comic. Was a regular at Hanwell's Viaduct, a decent Fullers pub.

Spod likes this.
  8. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

What a shame, I liked his Dredd work and 'Bad Company' was very dark but one of my favourites as a kid.

9. krtek a houby

Some memorable stuff for sure

[​IMG]

10. Spod

Spod Well-Known Member

slightly ashamed to admit that Judge Anderson had a bit of an impact on me as a pubescent lad
    [​IMG]

11. krtek a houby

I was the same with Venus Bluegenes!

12. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Maze Dumoir and Halo Jones for me.

krtek a houby likes this.
  13. krtek a houby

The latter was one of the greatest stories in that comic. The former rings a bell... was it like Tyranny Rex?

14. ATOMIC SUPLEX

Two episode story that I think was intended to become a series. Maze was a hard arse spy with skills. Also drawn by Ian Gibson. It was like a sex reversed James bond in space. I left 2000ad waaay before tyranny rex.

15. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

That's what the colleague I had a crush on looked like (really).

16. Idris2002

Idris2002 the liberation forces make movies of their own

They should also make a Rogue Trooper movie - and that Mean Arena thing would also make a good flick.

17. tommers

tommers Your disco needs you

I recently started up a subscription to 2000AD again. Download it onto my tablet every week. It's decent.

krtek a houby and PursuedByBears like this.
  18. krtek a houby

Is there any superhero versus Lovecraftian aliens in it, otherwise, nah ;)

tommers likes this.
  19. tommers

At the moment it's Bad Company, ABC Warriors, Dredd, Savage and something Sun. :)

I'm sure somebody'll be along soon to fight Cthulhu.

20. krtek a houby

Without googling, I'm guessing it's Milligan writing BC, Mills for ABC and Wagner for JD and I have no idea what Savage is... who's taken over from Brett Ewins on BC art duty?

21. tommers

You're right except for Dredd. That's written by somebody called Michael Carroll.

And the artist for BC is "Rufus Dayglo"

22. PursuedByBears

PursuedByBears Go stick your head in a pig

Pat Mills is also doing Savage atm which is a continuation of Invasion in Volgan-occupied Berlin. Proper old fashioned b&w art, not bad.

23. tommers

I liked the summary. He's a lorry driver who stopped the volgan invasion and is then sent to Berlin as a spy. Unfortunately he can't stop himself going on multiple killing sprees so his cover is blown.

:D

PursuedByBears likes this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Who's got a scan of Abelard Snazz's strip where he's in California and everyone has to 'jog for their lives"?

[​IMG]

Abelard Snazz - Wikipedia

25. InfoBurner

InfoBurner Everything Is Under Control

I quite like the idea that Savage is now a principled estate agent, preventing the Volgans from bulk buying, high rise properties in desirable areas.

26. tommers

27. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Suburban robots that monitor reality

Rogue Trooper movie looks like it’s going to happen.
    New Duncan Jones film project announced

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    yield, tommers, Sweet FA and 3 others like this.
  28. ATOMIC SUPLEX

For some reason it's been on my mind lately. I've been re buying old progs, bought a couple of books on its history, and just watched the documentary.
    Not sure how I feel about a rogue trooper film. It would need a complete reworking to take it away from an episodic 80s comic series.

29. krtek a houby

It's Duncan Jones, so I'll watch it for that. Still not sold on RT as a cinematic character, when there is such a treasure trove of tales to be told.

[​IMG]

Lazy Llama likes this.
  30. bellaozzydog

bellaozzydog rolling turds in glitter

Who would you cast as rogue trooper and can we have some centaur genetic cavalry

Lazy Llama likes this.