Anyone read 2000AD...?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by nuffsaid, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Kidblast

Kidblast Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bloody hell. I'll have to rent that. Is she a baddy?

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

So long as you don't look at the hands. They are about 10,000 years older than the rest of her body.

3. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

I used to read it quite a lot. Rogue Trooper, Nemesis the Warlock...

4. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Never saw the appeal of RT. Venus Bluegenes, on the other hand...

5. Kidblast

Well. It does appear that she's wearing gloves so hopefully I won't have to look at her talons.

6. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

I used to love Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog and Flesh (cool idea about the dinosaurs becoming extinct because we went back in time and killed them all for meat), oh and Future Shock. My neighbour, who now is in Slaine, had never heard of 2000ad before and didn't even know about the film of Judge Dredd, and she ends up in the blaady thing.

7. krtek a houby

To be fair, the JD film is a bit ropey. Robocop was much better.

8. Kidblast

Rogue Trooper went through a massive redesign late 80's that upset a lot of people who said that it detracted from the purity that made Friday so appealing. They souped up all his gear to make him look more hard core. Personally I was quite happy with it because the new series was drawn by Colin MacNeil who was my all time favorite 2000AD artist.

9. Big Gunz

Big Gunz Well-Known Member

Links please of your friends pic. Or I'm going up to 4 on yer!

10. Kidblast

Nice. I always thought that Clint Eastwood would've been brilliant as Dread in a movie adaption of the Dead Man Walking series.

11. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Mmmm....that isn't exactly the outfit she wears in the movie, she is a bit more covered up than that!

12. Kidblast

It doesn't look like your typical fencing outfit, I agree. I would watch more fencing if it was though.

13. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

They weren't that bad, actually. It was a bold attempt to push forward UK juvenile titles at the onset of the long period of decay which struck British comics throughout the 80s that partially worked.

Eagle provided a more mainstream harbour for much of the freelance talent which had been instrumental in the creation of Battle, Action, 2000AD and Starlord and in the reinvention of Valiant etc, successfully built up sufficient media interest for its launch (with 'Return Of The Mekon', plus the whole photo strip 'gimmick' - one that had already proved pretty successful in girls' comics and teen mags), and gently pushed boundaries for what a (then) modern anthology weekly title could be.

Whilst the photostrip schtick may not have wholly worked (capturing action like football is very difficult), 'Doomlord' proved a popular story and translated well to strip form; 'Joe Soap' was witty; 'Sgt Streetwise' was a nice twist on the solve-a-mystery strip; and even though I hated it, 'Fred' was a decent stab at going for purely visual story telling.

And there were good drawn strips too - 'The Return Of The Mekon' was a bold recasting of the DD story, adding a more epic feel than the original post-war Christian pilot of the future stories, and with excellent full colour artwork from Gerry Embleton. 'The Tower King' was a very good quality post-apocalypse yarn.

Whilst the high quality paper and printing only lasted a year before things went back to the standard rough-cut newsprint rag IPC favoured back then, in terms of characters, mix of features, editorial stringency and commitment to its readers, the new Eagle was a success. Cheers to Barrie Tomlinson and the team.

14. krtek a houby

I kind of lost track of which Rogue they had at that time, tbh. They messed up Robo Hunter as well. Became well trashy and far removed from original.

15. Kidblast

Did you see what they did with Joey Pineapples character in 'Seven Heads for Hekate'!. Never forgave them for that. Uncalled for.

16. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

I did try to find it but all google images of Slaine seem to be of the main character, she's playing some woman who slaine seems to be protecting or something, I haven't properly read the story just saw her pics - I'll try again an see if I can post up.

17. Kidblast

18. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

Johnny Depp visit Alan Moores house on saturday- 2 doors down from my bro.

Anyway, sinister and Dexter ftw

19. S☼I

S☼I knismesis & volubility

Yeah, and at one point you could've done a film across more than one time-span by having Harrison Ford as a younger Dredd.

20. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

:cool:
    Did you call round to borrow some sugar?

21. Kidblast

No, that bird that posed for that artist who drew that woman in that Slain story in that 2000AD comic took it all.

22. starfish

starfish No dialogue. Just plot.

Wow, so someone else bought that too. I thought i was the only one. Didnt last long did it.

Used to love 2000AD, still got loads of copies. I liked Bisleys version of Slaine.

23. Kidblast

'Hewligans Haircut' FTW

24. andy2002

andy2002 To the Bat-poles!

Where the Mekon teamed up with Thatcher IIRC!

25. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

Gorgeous she was. Not a great character to play, but actually a much better actress than she got to show in Dr Who.

26. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

More than a bit ropey.

I was lucky enough to be in the same room as Pat Mills when he learned that Stallone was going to play Dredd. I've never seen as extreme a look of horror on anyone's face. Then he realised that with Stallone in the role he'd be bound to take the helmet off. The resulting facial expression has scarred me psychologically for life.

To be fair the film wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, but they really didn't get the point, it's just that enough storyline came through from the comic to prevent it being completely 100% kack.

27. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I loved it at the time but I re-read it about 10 years ago and it's shit.

28. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I'm not sure it did. Well not enough to stop it being 100% kack anyway.

29. King Biscuit Time

King Biscuit Time Well-Known Member

I'm just reading through the Alan Moore Future Shocks compilation. I would have absolutely loved that when I was 12. Why did I used to buy Whizzer and Chips?

30. Idris2002

Idris2002 incels to the gulag

I used to read Warlord.

Not very cool (not cool at all in fact), I know.