1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone read 2000AD...?

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by nuffsaid, Nov 22, 2010.

1. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

If you do, you should know the 'Slaine' storyline. There's a female character in that who is a photographed character then photoshopped into the animation. She's my nextdoor neighbour :cool: The animator guy lives in my town and she knew him and he asked her to pose for some episodes.

That's all, as you were.

camouflage likes this.
  2. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

2000AD?

Not for years, but used to love it. Cool story, though.

camouflage likes this.
  3. Kidblast

Kidblast Well-Known Member

"...and the award for most irrelevant post of November goes to..."

4. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

I thought it was cool to live nextdoor to a character in my fav childhood comic. Plus I thought it might bring out readers from the wordwork, I've often wondered how that comic faired these days. Excuse me for having an interest in something.

5. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The Machine Stops

I remember the very first Slaine strip, Pat Mills missus drew it. Bellardinelli and McMahon took over duties and then Glen Fabry came along... felt the stories kind of lost it when Bisley(?) got all wanky with the art but still read on for a few years. Haven't really collected the mag since the end of Zenith.

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

200AD - Was that a Slaine-specific publication, with a more useful date than 2000AD?

7. stupid dogbot

This one?

8. Maggot

Maggot MES missing message

An OP cannot be irrelevant, cos there are no previous posts to for it to be relevant to.

It's a cool story. One of my neighbours was Dr Who Assistant Wendy Padbury.

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I used to have the first 200 issues!

10. krtek a houby

One of our neighbour's many years ago used to date Frazier Hines.

11. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

I used to go to school with a kid who was in one of the photo stories in Eagle when it was relaunched in the early 80's :cool:

I used to love 2000AD too. Strontium Dog FTW.

12. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Smokey & Thunderbolt (the kids' football one)? Or Doomlord, or Joe Soap? As long as it wasn't one of the crappy 'silent' Fred tableaux.

13. Chemical needs

Chemical needs stirring

I got a little poem I wrote about 2000AD printed in it once. Lost the copy of it I had :( it was around #1039 ish

14. krtek a houby

God, those photo stories were rubbish, wonder why they went with that format?

I also bought Starlord, Tornado and later Scream and Speed. In between my Marvel & DC fixations...

15. Kidblast

Why not just start a thread saying "Who reads 2000AD?"

16. stupid dogbot

Perhaps they had a specific point beyond just "have you read 2000AD" that they wanted to make?

Oh. Wait...

Meanwhile, your balanced and well-thought out critique has certainly added a whole mass of value, huh?

:facepalm:

17. kyser_soze

I had letters published in both 2000AD and The Eagle. I too remember Doomlord and the other photo-strips. I also know someone who, to their eternal shame, appeared in a Bunty photo-love story :D:D:D

jer, re: Zenith, did you ever see the episode that dissappeared? I think it was Ep 10, after Peter defeated Iok Sotot and before they reintroduced the hippykids. Or something, it was bloody annoying at the time.

18. Kidblast

Sorry, I was under the impression that the thread was just a vehicle for some lame ass claim to fame about having lived next door to some chick who herped the derp for some herpy derp. Silly me.

19. stupid dogbot

Thanks for coming.

20. Kidblast

Hey, wait, I knew this women that had a dog that once ran away and got stuck in a fence that was creosoted by a man that used run a pub where Gary Barlows Dad used to drink! Does anyone go to the pub? Pubs are cool.

21. kyser_soze

That's some rapier wit going on just there. It's like watching Madonna in that James Bond film.

22. Kidblast

Madonna was in James Bond!?

23. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Fuck you Dave!

Yup - "Die Another Day". She was shit.

24. kyser_soze

Yeah, the one with the Jaguars sliding about on Ice. She did the theme music and has a 2 minute bit part.

Die Another Day, that's the one.

25. QueenOfGoths

Toby Stephens made quite a good baddie in it :cool:

26. krtek a houby

There was an issue that never made delivery to Ireland, or at least any of the comic shops/newsagents I'd fequent. I bought it a year later over here. I remember further back when IPC or whoever it was didn't print the comic for what seemed like months back in 78 or 79!

27. kyser_soze

The best bit was the solar-cannon superweapon thingy. Orbital bombardment FTW!

jer - probably the same issue. I had exactly the same thing happen with a copy of Eagle one week, and it was a really big plot development week in Dan Dare. Grrrr.

28. Kidblast

Well fuck my old boots. I did not know that. Shit maybe but I bet she looked all right.

29. krtek a houby

I never really cared for DD in the 80s Eagle, I loved the Gibbons DD in 2000AD (even with the silly power glove) and got to appreciate the 50s Dare and of course, later we got the Grant Morrison version in Revolver.

30. QueenOfGoths

Yeah she didn't look bad! She was wearing some kind of tight leather get up...and had rather nice hair :oops: