1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know the truth about the UB40 split?

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by ATOMIC SUPLEX, Dec 29, 2016.

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Which UB40 is the evil one? They both claim the other band are the pathetic losers.
    Who's really been the arsehole here?
  2. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Jeremy Corbyn.
  3. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Watch the BBC doc on iplayer and make your mind up. Both seem to have valid claims all complicated by a woeful production company behind them over the years.
  4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

whoever becomes ES40
    Puddy_Tat and Badgers like this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

Very droll
    Magnus McGinty, Ming, marty21 and 4 others like this.
  6. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

I think the answer is Ali Campbell has been a bit of an arsehole - but maybe not, the split seems to be between the vocalists and the actual band.
    he left. then he talked a couple of the others into joining him and decided they were UB40. The rest of the band were unimpressed by this.
    they got his brother on vocals. Ali was scathing about that, which was ungallant at best, although true - he really does have a distinctive voice and his bro - not so much.
    ska invita likes this.
  7. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Doesn't appear that complicated; he left, they didn't stop being UB40.
  8. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

This, basically. Ali has been a bit of a cock about it since the moment he left the band. It's torn their family apart.
    ska invita likes this.
  9. marshall

Guess it doesn't help that they're all so skint. As reported in that docu, they should have smoked less and paid a little more attention in those boring ol' business meetings.
  10. beesonthewhatnow

Their biggest albums not being full of covers would have helped too :D
  11. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

Two things:-
    It shows how Saint Jeremy can bring peace where there is division
    It less important in the great scheme of thins than a bust up at any Crown Green Bowling/pub darts or doninos team
    Thought were all dead by now anyway......always singing about drinkin an puffin........
    eres what they got famous for - robbin other peeps past......
  12. ouchmonkey

I'm not having that. And I'm not even a fan. they made a name for themselves with some seriously good tunes before they became a covers band
  13. ouchmonkey

aside from this, as has been covered on every UB40 thread ever, 'Labour Of Love' was just that and the band are revered in Jamaica for gettting publishing money to a bunch of artists who had never seen jack shit for their efforts before
    keithy, badseed and SpookyFrank like this.
  14. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

don't a couple of them own The Garden in Croatia? that must make tons

Oh thanks, just what I need.

But he said he left because he was holding out over management problems. His brother told him to go solo (not ub40) and then his bro jumped in his place. He only later formed his own ub40. Well someone is lying, just was not sure who.

Yes, well that's the other side of it, but Ali has a different story thats now in the recent press, and has only now got his ub40. I'm sure there has been some dickery, but seeing as he has a couple of other members with him it can't be that cut and dried.
  18. beesonthewhatnow

Let me put it this way. I was on tour with them. Sat on the bus with them. In the pub with them. It all kinda comes down to Ali being a dick.

Them pre split or the ub40 after Ali?
  20. badseed

badseed Mighty but thin.

First two albums were great, they should have split then.
    plurker likes this.
  21. marshall

Didn't know that, interesting, thanks.
  22. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

I blame the tories. They're in power and there are lots of UB40s. Cunts.

What a sad story. Still hard to tell who is in the right, both sound like they truly believe their version of events. Sadly though I have to say the Duncan cambell version does sound like a bit of a karaoke joke.
  24. Smokeandsteam

Smokeandsteam Well-Known Member

Didn't this incarnation release an album of country and western music? I believe that this was the stated catalyst for Ali C to form his own version of the band?

I think the truth is that all of them are bankrupt or skint due to bad management, bad decisions etc. The legal fees arising from this row are making all involved more skint. Both need to tour constantly to keep their heads above water and the naming rights obviously matter in that sense. It's is very sad.

As others have said UB40 were once very good - and politically very important as they charted with explicitly political stuff.
  25. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

The doc did kind of portray them as thicko brummies who'd rather smoke weed than deal with the business side of things
  26. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

But that's what has endeared them to Jamaicans!

They did three (?) 'Labour of Love' albums where they covered early reggae tunes, knowing full well that a large part of the royalties from those albums would go straight into the Jamaican economy...

With even that taken into account, they would have had to be spectacularly stitched-up by their business heads to be 'broke' now.

The back catalogue must still be earning (pure guesswork here.....) half a million or a million pounds each year. They were popular all over Europe.
    sealion and ska invita like this.

Their biggest hits, and the ones that are played most commonly are all covers. There is not a huge amount in mechanicals, especially when spread so thin accross everyone who played on the record.
  28. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Astro left, with Mickey, after the country and western album;

"While it may be true there is a long relationship with reggae musicians and country music, that doesn’t mean that’s what I want to play, far from it, and it’s definitely not something I wish to be part of, subjecting our fans to what I consider to be substandard.

“I cannot bear to see what we are offering to our loyal fans. I believe they deserve better than this and I am sorry, but I cannot and will not lose my integrity as a respected reggae musician."

After jumping ship they joined Ali C and started as Ali, Astro and Mickey, and then started to call themselves UB40.

They were not well looked after financially by managers, and the money they did get they pissed away on drugs, and now court cases which never really get resolved...

I've always loathed their cover versions...nothing makes me shudder more than knowing there's two version of the band out there....
  29. ouchmonkey

bit late for that matey
    Nanker Phelge likes this.
  30. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

This. They've been the reggae Black Lace ever since.