Anyone know anyting about applying for Sheltered Housing?

Discussion in 'benefits and housing' started by Ms Ordinary, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

Specifically - any advice on eligibility, waiting lists, & are you eligible if you are in employment or do you have to be retired?

It's for someone I know, coming up for age 55 which seems to make her eligible for some 55+ places?
    Has been living in borough of Westminster for the last 15 or so years, & I think would need to stay local as she has stage 4 breast cancer & her treatment is based there, also works in central London (low paid so can't afford travel & I think likes her job & doesn't want to change it, has been with the same employer for years & they seem to have taken the cancer thing on board).

The rent for studio flat in a sheltered housing project looks like it could be quite a lot less than she's currently paying to rent a room - I've made a provisional enquiry but they wouldn't or couldn't tell me much - just 'apply & we'll take it from there' & I really want to find out a bit more before I suggest it as she gets pretty tired from the chemo treatments & I don't want to put more on her plate unless it's worth pursuing...

2. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

Looks like you need to be over 60 in Westminster for Sheltered Housing

Housing choices

It may still be worth her applying though but I'd probably try and seek clarification on the age thing first.

3. yield

yield zero

4. Ms Ordinary

Thank you! Yes I had seen 60 as a general age for applying via a local authority.

I found a rental scheme which is 55+ but it describes itself as "retirement housing" which makes me think they wouldn't accept someone who was still working...:hmm:

& you need a GP to sign a form to say you're expected to be able to live independently for the next 5 years (fair enough) but I don't know how that goes with stage 4 breast cancer... some people live for years with it, some people don't - kinda like the rest of us...

HousingCare.org | Anchor Court | 2 Carey Place, 40-44 Vauxhall Bridge Road, Victoria, London, SW1V 2RT | Sheltered housing, retirement housing, supported housing for older people

(I'd also expect it to have a prohibitive waiting list, given it's location... they have a search facility on their website where you can look for properties with immediate vacancies & there are some, but none in London - although they do have properties in London)

yield likes this.
  5. yield

yield zero

You don't have to be retired to live in sheltered.

Anchor Care Homes
    Rents start at £634 not sure how close to "market rent" they can go? Council sheltered may well cheaper than a Housing Association property if she can get one.

Need an appointment with housing.

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  6. Ms Ordinary

Thanks again - yes appointment with housing seems like the next step, realistically.

7. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

I'd suggest identifying a few possible places and ringing them up and asking them to talk you through the process. They'll be used to it.

Ms Ordinary and Rutita1 like this.
  8. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

You can make an application to this person's LA for nomination/move on medical grounds.

They should have an application form or some kind of process.

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  9. hash tag

hash tag never too old

Sorry Ms Ordinary, this will be of little help...Wandsworth, it is 55+ and yes you can still be working. If 55 you qualify for a scattered scheme as opposed to a purpose built one.
    As far as I know they have no other criteria other than living in the borough.
    You will of course get points for being homeless, for down sizing from a larger social housing property to a smaller one or for being particularly vulnerable with regards to health and the like.
    I would guess that social services could probably help push an application along.
    Does it need to be sheltered - own home with back up alarms?

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  10. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

You are being a supportive friend which is great. Bear in mind that at ‘almost 55’ your friend may not be that keen on living in a sheltered scheme with probably much older people. Just support her through this - if finances become an issue, she may be eligible for benefits. So she shouldn’t have to move unless she wants to. Hopefully she will recover completely so need to move now if she’s happy with where she lives.

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  11. StoneRoad

StoneRoad heckling from the back!

Ms Ordinary - I agree you are being supportive to your friend, and I would like to suggest contacting Macmillian, not only do they supply the nurses but also they can help with the housing / benefits etc.
    ( a fella I knew a few years ago had terminal cancer and spoke very highly of their help)

12. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

Macmillan is a great shout. They helped my parents, and me, out a lot when my Dad had cancer.

Ms Ordinary likes this.
  13. Ms Ordinary

Just catching up - & thank you for the replies...

14. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Macmillan can also help with funding as well as advice and support re benefits. A friend was given money to pay for a cleaner, I think. And they can help with heating costs and travel costs and that kind of thing. At least that's my understanding. So irrespective of your friend's longer-term situation re a possible move into sheltered housing, she should contact them now if she's already struggling to see what assistance they can offer.

Thimble Queen and Ms Ordinary like this.
  15. Ms Ordinary

Yes, I'm very much trying to support her in however / wherever she chooses to live, whilst also discreetly researching possibilities she may not be aware of - & which I may never even mention, unless she needs or wants to move.

The cancer prognosis seems to have got worse since I started the thread, she has secondary liver cancer which has been managed with chemotherapy - because of the way it's scattered then chemo seems to be the only treatment - but is still growing, & (if I've understood correctly) can now only be offered another 2 rounds of chemo before it has to be left to take its course. Survival rate for liver metastasis - which of course is unpredictable - doesn't look likely to be much beyond 2 years.

So if she's happy where she is, & is able to stay there for as long as she wants, then I'm not going to suggest going on a long waiting list, particularly if it means going via local authority allocation or applying for benefits - I get the impression this would be totally alien to her, the whole idea of it & even if she came round to it I think she'd be totally unprepared with how to deal with it...

The age thing! She rents a single room in a working person's / student hostel, so if anything I think likes being around younger people not older, though I guess the sheltered / institutional feel wouldn't bother her as she seems fine with that - has never AFAIK wanted to move into more usual private accommodation like maybe a shared flat or even a studio flat - or has judged that what she'd gain in homeliness she'd lose in security & just has never wanted to deal with that.

If she was likely to have say 10 or 15 years left, ie to live into some kind of retirement - then I think being encouraged to apply for a sheltered studio might've been ideal if she'd have a few years to enjoy it.
    But doesn't seem the right thing to suggest now.

16. Ms Ordinary

Macmillan - which so many people have mentioned that I'm not going to quote you all! - does seem the way forward.
    She does have a number for a Macmillan nurse, but hasn't (through her own choice) had much contact so far. They've sat in with appointments & explained treatment, but I think she doesn't know what else - or how - to ask for - so I guess I'd want her to realise what help might be out there, and ask for it...

Benefits - I'm torn on this - I know she's probably entitled to something - or will be at some point, even if it's something like assistance with travel to work for as long as she wants to keep working.
    But really loathe to suggest she spends the last couple of years of her life engaging with what I know to be soul destroying system, unless the value of it to her outweighs that...

Ultimately - I guess I want to support her in however she herself wants to live her last few years - absolutely not assuming that it has to be the way anyone else would do it, but also not assuming that where she is now is how she wants to be...

Thimble Queen likes this.
  17. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen person of tinge

18. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

Ms Ordinary, I think it might be that they'd be more likely to help with travel costs to medical appointments (NB: help might be available for this in any event, check with PALS/Macmillan) and other costs associated with her illness and treatments, so that she might have more money available to work travel costs, iyswim.

yield likes this.
  19. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

Ms Ordinary, you're a good person. MacMillan can also help your friend claim any benefits she's entitled to so it really would be worth finding out more -- IIRC, they've a helpline anyone can phone so might be worth having a quick chat to see whether it's worth pursuing. If nothing else, it might at least help her be more comfortable, financially at least. X

yield likes this.