Anyone got a cockatiel?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by sim667, Jul 12, 2018.

1. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

So my bosses partner has taken a cockatiel home (perfectly healthy, except its got one leg) because it was going to be put down otherwise (lost/unwanted and the animal charities aren't accepting it as they're too rammed)..... but she doesn't think she can keep it, afterall they have 6 dogs, 2 cats and an aviary full of birds already.

So I'm thinking about taking it...... what should I know about cockatiels before I offer? (Except that they can live up to 25 years, and get depressed, so I may need to get it a friend).

2. 19sixtysix

19sixtysix Life as viewed from a Gay Gorbals Garret

Of the limited experience of ones I've met they can be quite vocal, like some people over others and have a distinct individual character. They do seem to need pals to avoid loneliness.

sim667 likes this.
  3. fizzerbird

fizzerbird Lovely Bellend

I read that as cocktails. :D

I used to have two of the fekkers.

Never again!

4. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic cnut, & all round knob-head.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    sim667 likes this.
  5. cupid_stunt

Why?

sim667 likes this.
  6. sim667

I do have a cat which is one concern I have, so I'm thinking about trying to pick up a cage for free from somewhere and trying it out to see how the cat responds.

7. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

One on it's own would get very lonely and distressed.
    They crave company. They are noisy bastards.

a_chap likes this.
  8. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

Doesn’t treefrog have a bird of some kind?

9. sim667

Yeah I think I'd have to keep an eye out for a suitable partner to rehome for it

10. Sunset Tree

Sunset Tree Well-Known Member

I've got a cockatiel and a parakeet.

I'd also say never again but chances are these guys will live another decade or two. Never again after that though

They can be annoying, loud, messy, neurotic, require a lot of attention. Cats and dogs are less hassle than birds by miles. I do love my birds, they have lots of good qualities, but they're a high maintenance pet ime. I probably wouldn't have bird again.

E.g. my parakeet flies to the curtain rail and uses his beak to detach all the curtain pegs. Plus he screeches really loud if he's bored of if someone he's unfamiliar with comes in the room. He also screeches when he wants to go to bed. Ear-splitting.

Fez909, a_chap and cupid_stunt like this.
  11. Sunset Tree

I would say sim667 that cockatiels are less noisy and troublesome than parakeets. Our cockatiel is pretty chill tbh. It's all relative though, she can still be quite noisy at times.

12. petee

petee i'm spartacus

loud fuckers.
    conures are fun, though, and nowhere near as loud.

Sunset Tree likes this.
  13. Epona

Epona I am Hououin Kyouma

Birds as pets - they are noisy, they are messy, they need a lot of attention, they need a good amount of supervised time out of their cage daily (it's wrong to keep them in a cage, that should be somewhere they go when they sleep, not where they live - a few hours out while you are home is fine, it does need to be supervised), they chew stuff up and destroy it, and you have to be really careful about using chemicals, artificial scents, or non-stick cookware in a house with a bird (seriously, stuff can kill them), as well as making sure no-one opens a window or door and accidentally lets them out, a tame bird is not likely to survive fending for itself outdoors.

They are also great company and really loyal, but you have to be sure you are prepared to change your existence for them. They aren't easy pets, they are high maintenance, and require specific diet and environmental considerations, and bring specific challenges - if you don't want to be woken by screeching at dawn, chop his breakfast veg (no, they cannot live on just seeds or pellets) and then clean a lot of thrown chewed up veg bits and bird poo off the floor, then maybe not for you.

I love birds and have kept many as pets over the years, but they really aren't easy and aren't for everyone - they are also rewarding - just want to make sure you know what might be involved. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    trabuquera, clicker and Sunset Tree like this.
  14. Epona

In addition - no point picking up a cage to see how the cat responds, it's the bird that cats are fixated on. I have had birds and cats at the same time as there was some overlap, and every day was a careful consideration of birds, cats, and doors, to make sure they wouldn't come into contact.

There is absolutely no way on earth that I would have left a bird in a cage with cats allowed into the room when I was not there - it's not just injuries from cats that kill birds, the pasteurella bacteria present in most cats mouths, and therefore all over them from the way they groom, is absolutely deadly to most birds as they have no immunity to it. You have to keep them separate, it's not even just a prey-drive thing in your cat that is risky.

clicker likes this.
  15. Epona

I love my cats dearly, but I'd love a bird again too :(

16. blossie33

blossie33 trailer trash

Watch your fingers!
    My sister had one years ago, he liked you to rub the side of his head but he can't have been in the mood for fuss one day and he pecked my finger really hard and broke the skin - it hurt!!

17. lazythursday

lazythursday Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has one which is fiercely protective of her and hates men going round to her house, which is not great for her sex life.

Sunset Tree and cupid_stunt like this.
  18. cupid_stunt

I wouldn't want to be pecked on my pecker.

lazythursday likes this.
  19. Sunset Tree

Those beaks were made for pecking

Seriously they can destroy your hand if they set a mind to it

blossie33 likes this.
  20. sim667

So it looks like they are going to keep it after all :(

I was getting well excited :(

21. Sunset Tree

You could maybe rescue one from an animal charity if you're keen. People sometimes re-home bird on gumtree too if they don't have the resources to care for them. We got our parakeet from someone on gumtree who couldn't handle his mentalness.

22. sim667

TBH it was a bit of the spur of the moment thing.

Me and my g/f want another pet, as she considers the cat mine (I've had the cat 12 years), but we don't really know what is most suitable.

23. Sunset Tree

What sort of pets are you considering? If it was me I'd get a second cat or maybe a low-energy dog breed. Depends what you're into but generally the old classics of cats and dogs are less hassle than most caged, exotic types.

24. cupid_stunt

Someone I know has recently got a new pet - some giant toad, the size of a cat, fuck knows why.

Sunset Tree likes this.
  25. sim667

My cat will fuck up any other cat unfortunately. We don't think its fair to get a dog, because we're quite busy people.

26. Sunset Tree

I'm don't understand that either. Pets like that are cool to look at but you don't get the whole mutual bonding you'll get with mammals. We have a bearded dragon, he's a cool guy, but I'm not sure he would even know if someone else moved in and kept feeding him.

27. Sunset Tree

Fair enough. The problem of being busy would equally apply to owning birds. I think the easiest pet is something like a guinea pig

sim667 likes this.
  28. Sunset Tree

Actually a cat-sized toad does sound awesome though

29. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

I’ve got my mums budgie today for 7 days while she goes on hollibobs. Next doors cat is going to have his visiting rights revoked for the week.

Hope he don’t hate me after.